[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books/Tutorials to learn Calculus I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: calculus-chalkboard[1].jpg (372 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
calculus-chalkboard[1].jpg
372 KB, 1000x667
Been struggling with Calculus I at school, the lectures don't seem to be cutting it up for me. I need more explanation to understand things.

What worked out for you anons, any books/tutorials that really helped you out?

Need of your dire help anons, just need some guidance..
>>
Search for "CalculusExpert" on YouTube, she explains it really well and makes it look as easy as it is.
>>
>>7981973
http://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Intuitive-Physical-Approach-Mathematics/dp/0486404536/
http://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Lifesaver-Tools-Princeton-Guides/dp/0691130884/
http://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Made-Easy-Silvanus-Thompson/dp/0312185480/
http://www.amazon.com/Manga-Guide-Calculus-Hiroyuki-Kojima/dp/1593271948/
>>
Dont follow the memes
>>7981984
And read apostol.
>>
Did you try Khan Academy. He explains concepts well. Worked for my BC class.
>>
>>7982040
I did try him, his lectures are great but sometimes they aren't in order and they jump between his old and new videos, which leaves some holes in between.
>>
Op is your professor hard? Like are his exams hard?

I have an A in calc 1 right now and it don't know if it's because i get the material, or if it's because the professor is easy.
>>
>>7982051
Do extra problems and ask for other exams.
>>
Op what concepts of Cal 1 are confusing you? I can try and help explain it to you

>>7982056
I think you replied to the wrong person.
>>
>>7982051
The exams are given by university maths department and they are hard, problem occurs when that at times the professor has a certain way of expressing terms so when I see different terms on the exam.. I guess I kinda panic
>>
You guys are giving me fucking anxiety about Calculus. I took Pre-Cal and am taking Cal 1 in the summer. You guys always talk about the difficulty. Fucking, I'm taking up to Cal 3.
>>
>>7982059
Post one of the questions from an exam you took. I want to see how it compares to the exam my professor made.
>>
>>7982060
Calculus 1 is really easy if you have a moderate foundation in algebra. The calculus 1 concepts are not hard to understand, yet people have trouble with simplifying algebraic equations.
>>
>>7982056
Exams from other proffs*
>>
>>7982058
It's mostly with a few application exercises, of how to get certain things from paragraph of text. I feel like, the concepts in my lectures aren't explained that well (at least for me) which causes me not to understand the question properly, if there was a nice book that could guide me from the start to end and brush up things so I can fill in the gaps which I couldn't understand from the lectures. I know one anon posted so many books, but I'm looking for a personal recommendation that maybe worked out for you or someone else you know.

>>7982062
I don't have any questions with me right now since I'm on the phone, but as i mentioned before most questions are like applications whether it be differentiation (implicit), graphing from a equation (finding an equation from the text).

>>7982067
I did have some problems in algebra, but most of it is because it's been a while since i've done it. Just need a brush up.
>>
>>7982067

the only math I've taken in college is Pre-Cal Algebra, which I aced. I don't have any issue simplifying, because I've actually evolved a central nervous system unlike some people I see in my classes.

One of my majors is Chemistry and I thoroughly enjoy the math used in Chem 1.
>>
>>7981973
If you weren't doing advanced Riemann-Stieltjes integration at the tender age of 8, you're the reason China is beating us. Give up.
>>
>>7981973
Just watch khan academy or patrickjmt. Or come on here. Mate calculus 1 is so fucking easy like once you get to learn this shit you can do any of the problems. A large part of the class is the concept behind position, velocity, and acceleration. Like word problems and how to use integrals/derivatives to solve them. You'll get it.
>>
>>7982089
Yeah I hope it works out for me anon, I really do.
>>
>>7982040
BC fucking sucks man I hate sequences and series
>>
>>7982081
>Riemann-Stieltjes integration
That shit wouldnt even be hard because it's basic calculus. I'm positive that 8 year olds could do this that's just not how education is layed out. The only people who do that probably have minor forms of autism and they do it because they are really interested.
>>
>>7982093
What do you dislike about the class most? Like which topics? Surprisingly, for me it's remembering what continuity allows doesnt allow and optimization (they can give you some tough problems with these).
>>
Op can you implicitly derive this?

xy = sin3x
>>
>>7982104
That's not basic calculus my bad. I was interpreting that as just basic riemann sums lol
>>
>>7982106
Actually I don't dislike any part of the class, I enjoy learning about it, I usually go into more detail of the concepts, relations and how they all got it out, but most of the lecture is figuring out the problem instead of explaining the things I mentioned.
>>
>>7982117
>>7982104
Man, you're retarded.
Although I'm not really one to talk. I first encountered them when I started studying measure and integration theory at 18.
>>
>>7982107
y' = f(x) where f(x) is the derivative of y, implicitly.

Just kidding, fucker.
xy' + y = 3cos(3x)
xy' + sin(3x)/x = 3cos(3x)
y' = (3xcos(3x) - sin(3x)) * x^-2
>>
>>7982128
Wow good for you! Anyways thanks for calling me retarded even though I realized my mistake! I bet you're a real einstein man!
>>
>>7982124
I meant what concepts confuse you the most?
>>
>>7982139
>2016
>still gets offended when someone calls him retarded
You're kidding, right? Everyone calls everyone retarded.
See, now I'm retarded for taking the bait.
>>
>>7982135
Why didn't you just subtract y?
>>
>>7982150
I'm not offended I thought you were being fucking serious. You sound like a pompous asshole. How did you end up learning advanced, graduate level mathematics at the highschool level?
>>
>>7982153
It doesn't matter. I substituted and then subtracted. Otherwise, I would have subtracted and then substituted. It makes no difference.
>>
>>7981973
https://www.youtube.com/user/professorleonard57/
Algebra, Stats, Calc1-3 (3 still in progress)
>>
File: IMG_20160405_223303361.jpg (3 MB, 3006x5344) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160405_223303361.jpg
3 MB, 3006x5344
>>7982158
But the correct answer is:

y' = (3cos(3x)-y)/x)
>>
>>7982179
And y=sin(3x)/x
>>
>>7982155
I'm in the US for reference.
I was in a GATE program in elementary school, which let me take math 1, 2, and 3 in elementary school. In my freshman year of high school, I took precalculus, and then took calculus 1 and 2 concurrently my sophomore year at a local uni. Then during my junior year of HS, I took calculus 3 and intro to proofs in the fall semester and Linear Algebra and ODE's in the spring. In my senior year I took Analysis, Probability Theory, and Abstract Algebra. In my freshman year at uni, I was then able to take measure theory at 18 with instructor consent. Is this satisfactory?
>>
OP if you can't solve this, you need to talk to the tutor or study more.

f(x) = e^(ln^(x^2)) - 3x^-7
>>
>>7982240
What is it like having absolutely no social life in highschool?
>>
>>7982249
>in highschool
If only it was only that. It's forever, anon.
Not that bad, though. People are fucking annoying as fuck. I'll probably get sad and lonely eventually, but not yet.
>>
Give me your opinions, guys. Spivak or Apostol? Which one is harder and which one is more dense? I keep hearing that Spivak is top tier as a preparation for Analysis, but I have a feeling that Apostol is more dense.
>>
>>7982253
I feel you
>>
>>7982185
but you aren't solving for y
>>
>>7982257
John/Courant is better
>>
>>7982278
But you can
>>
>>7982296
But you should solve for y prime
>>
>>7982357
Are you actually retarded? You already know what y is.
>>
>>7982362
What do you mean
>>
>>7982369
If x*y=sin(3x) then y=(sin(3x))/x
QED
>>
>>7982379
You are trying to find the derivative in terms of y.
>>
Google "Paul's Online Math Notes". That's how I taught myself all calculus.
>>
>>7982381
Why on earth would you think that? That's only for functions who can't be written explicitly
>>
>>7982387
The question asks you to explicitly derive the equation implicitly though.
>>
>>7982406
And what exactly do you think that means, anon? I know I took calculus 1 something like 4 years ago, but I'm pretty sure I remember this.
>>
>>7981973

james stewart

easily the based god of calculus and deeply /sci/ approved
>>
I recommend this to everyone that comes here asking for calculus help: Thomas Calculus Early Transcendentals 12th Edition. There's a PDF online. It's the book I used. Very simple and straightforward explanations. Get the solutions manual.
>>
>>7982078
>I thoroughly enjoy the math used in Chem 1
all you do is plug variables into simple linear equations and some unit conversions lmao
>>
>>7981973
>the year 2000 + 10 + 6
>not learning calculus from the Manga Guide to Calculus
>le shiggy turtle meme
>>
>>7982060
If you're worried about it then why are you taking it during the summer when it will be at an accelerated pace?

Most people have trouble with calculus because their algebra skills are poor. If you're algebra is good you'll be fine. Except that summer school could be a bit fast.
>>
If you can't solve the problems in Spivak you aren't really learning calculus
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.