[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I pulled this powerful ceramic magnet out of a microwave magnetron.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-04-04 23.20.06.jpg (2 MB, 1876x1884) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-04 23.20.06.jpg
2 MB, 1876x1884
I pulled this powerful ceramic magnet out of a microwave magnetron.

While I was prizing it out, it chipped a little and I now have this sliver of a magnet.

When I try to put it back into the hole whence it came, it gets violently repulsed by the main magnet, and I have to turn it backwards to be able to touch the two together. How come? shouldnt it be attracted to the magnet it came from?
>>
>>7979030
>Asking how magnets work
you're just asking to be memed

but then again maybe that's what you wanted all along
>>
File: sci.png (9 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sci.png
9 KB, 800x600
>>
>>7979030
>>7979035
Was getting caught part of your plan?
>>
PS: what can I do with a cool ring magnet like this?
>>
You could make a magnetron with it
>>
>>7979035
Magnets and Monetary systems. 2 things the pleb must never understand.
>>
What direction is it magnetized along?
>>
>>7979601
You cannot have negative money kid.
>>
>>7979185
Solve world hunger.
>>
>>7979681
Tell that to my bank account
>>
>>7979049
So how do magnets even hold themselves together? Why don't we have an exploding magnet crisis? Why doesn't running a current through metal cause a violent explosion?
>>
>>7979688
Because metallic bonds are stronger.
>>
>>7979688
The magnetic repulsion is way weaker than the molecular bonds holding it together..
>>
>>7979030
Congratulations OP you have developed a new form of rocket engine using solid magnets with laminated layers that just fragment off providing thrust - how cool is that !
>>
>>7980004

This is totally impractical, but it actually would work, wouldn't it? Rocket science is easy senpai
>>
>>7979030
The main magnet has more gravity inside it, and the excess gravity is gravitationally repulsive in the same way dark matter is, so it requires work to put back together

This is all explained in any decent relativity class
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.