[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mechanica enginerring vs Software Engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: twine circle.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
twine circle.gif
1 MB, 500x500
Is it a bad thing to start liking CS so much that you switched from Mechanical Engineering to studying it?

Why all the hate for the Computer Science field? I'm at Georgia Tech and we have a pretty decent CS program (I think), pretty sure the consensus is they have some sort of higher 'prestige'. Is there higher mobility in engineering if you are proficient at it?

Why is it assumed that it is any less rigorous even though, sans Nuclear engineering - the physics and maths requirements are the same?

Why do Computer Science majors get paid more after graduation?
Is there some sort of bubble?
>>
>>7978398
Because you barely learn anything.
>>
>>7978398
It depends, if you enter academia you'll quickly find your undergrad is pretty irrelevant, most people learn outside their field and end up doing something completely different.

Entering industry there are good and bad people in all fields who are paid well and shit respectively. The main reason to do enigneering is if you want to work in a specific industry requiring licensure; ie if you want to design and sign off on nuclear reactors you need a Nuclear engineering degree.

What's nice about engineering in general is that you can get a PE from it, a PE gives you a lot of leverage in wage negotions, especially in academia and research where people get fucked.

In general an engineering degree is more valuable for you unless you are absolutely sure about what you want to do, it gives you more freedom in general.
>>
>>7978400
This is something that could be said about undergrad in general.
>ME track
>learn how to make PDEs in joke programming language
>draft in CAD software
>memorize sets of kinematic/thermal equations in different formulations

>CS track
>learn how to make PDEs in actual programming language and model equations - in a style closer to reality wherein you are allowed to use computers to solve PDEs
>learn AI algorithms
>learn how to interface with devices
>etc etc hence capitalistic demand

Yeah, still not seeing why they get shit on
>>
>>7978420
>still not seeing why they get shit on
Because the shit you listed does not happend in 99% of CS programmes.
>>
File: LOLATYOURLIFE_zpsfdd86388.png (189 KB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
LOLATYOURLIFE_zpsfdd86388.png
189 KB, 450x472
Don't worry, it's just other fields making fun of us because they're jealous of our 300k starting
>>
>>7978398
Stone Age -> Industrial Revolution -> Space Age -> Digital Age -> Quantum Age

Hunter/Farmer -> Mechanical Engineering -> Electrical Engineer -> Computer Science -> ???
>>
>>7978561
Is ME basically obsolete?
Why do people think this?
Is it because the number of ME advancements has been dwindling in recent times?
>>
>>7978572(You)
>CS
>implying you'll get anything starting
>>
File: 1455794217752.jpg (20 KB, 657x410) Image search: [Google]
1455794217752.jpg
20 KB, 657x410
>>7980646
Yes.
A job.
>>
>>7978398
>Is it a bad thing to start liking CS so much that you switched from Mechanical Engineering to studying it?

No, study what will make you happy in life.

>Why all the hate for the Computer Science field

Nobody hates the field. Computer Science as a field of research (also known as graduate shit) is very respected and many mathematicians, physicists and engineers have gone out of their way to learn the subject and perform heavy research in it.

What is hated are CS undergrads like you. Not all of them though, only those who don't accept that they are stupid.

CS will teach you incomplete mathematics, incomplete physics, incomplete engineering and incomplete software development and then try to trick you into thinking that you actually know anything.

You are trained to be a jack of all trades that actually barely knows shit. It is the perfect road to simple code monkey jobs.

If you accept that and enjoy that then there is no shame is that. But then there are morons who come here and unironically say that their algorithms class is 'hard math' or 'as pure as number theory', etc.

Simply, accept that you are inferior to us, live your life to the fullest, and never touch this board again.

>Why do Computer Science majors get paid more after graduation?

So you are believing
>le coder shortage, therefore high pay
official reddit meme?

Well, I'm not a doctor so I can't cure your stupidity.
>>
>>7981155
People like you make me want to stop working on my math degree since there are too many people like this in the field. Get out of your goddamn ass.
>>
File: 1457470138266.png (208 KB, 450x457) Image search: [Google]
1457470138266.png
208 KB, 450x457
>>7981155
>>
>>7978398
>went to the best public school in the nation for engineering
>switched to a Meme tier degree
What the fuck are you doing with your life
>>
>>7981155
>>7981155

>incomplete mathematics, incomplete physics, incomplete engineering and incomplete software development

i'll bite
Let me show you why you statement is stupid

Studying math:
>incomplete physics, incomplete engineering and incomplete software development

Studying physics:
>incomplete math, incomplete engineering and incomplete software development

Studying engineering:
>incomplete physics, incomplete math and incomplete software development
checkmate
>>
>>7978561
I'm in a shit cs program that produces mostly IT and enterprise programmers and I still somehow know these things.
>>
>>7981338
I'd like to edit that a little bit.

Studying math:
>incomplete anything

Studying physics:
>incomplete anything

Studying engineering:
>incomplete anything

No undergraduate or graduate program is complete.
>>
i started doing computational physics, and then realized i enjoyed the algorithms aspect more than the actual physics, and now im moving more towards cs

people here just shit on cs programs because at many schools, undergrad cs is a joke

but there are many fields of cs research that are interesting
>>
I've always been interested in computers and other machinery. How does the comfiness of a MechE job compare to that of a CS job in web dev or software dev?
>>
>>7981273
Get out of math, we don't want you here anyways. Feel fucking free.

Why does it even bother you? What I said is objectively true.

>>7981338
You are wrong.

In my math degree I do no physics, no engineering and no software development.

The closest thing is a class of 'programming languages' but it is literally just matlab and some other stuff for mathematics. A matlab coder is not a software developer.

But that only works for math, so lets get a better argument.

>physics
It is only true that it is incomplete math. Engineering and software development are not core parts of a physics degree. However, they are for a CS degree.

I doubt that all physics degree even have programming courses but even then, they are probably electives or non-core topics.

For engineering the line is a bit blurry but it is easy to know that engineering is not JUST incomplete physics and incomplete math. (and software development is not a core part of the engineering curriculum).

Engineering has very unique and defined classes that no physics or math major will ever take, many of these cannot even be taught as 'applied math' classes because they are more oriented towards the trade of engineering.

CS does not share this. You may have your """unique""" classes like machine learning but if you actually care about CS, you wouldn't be able to look at me with a straight face and tell me that undergrad machine learning is not trivial as fuck, so trivial that you wonder why do they even bother teaching such a topic in undergrad when they could simply replace it with more math and then actually cover machine learning in grad school... like they do anyways.

Deal with it.
>>
>>7981405
robotics and/or embedded

if you're lucky enough maybe you'll end up writing software to control microwave or boiler
>>
File: giggling vietnamese dame.jpg (120 KB, 487x510) Image search: [Google]
giggling vietnamese dame.jpg
120 KB, 487x510
>>7981142
>an engineer wont get a job
You are much more expendable than you think code monkey
>>
>>7981155
>You are trained to be a jack of all trades that actually barely knows shit.
Isn't that pretty much all of the base branches of engineering?
Especially Computer Engineering/ME/Industrial/Civil

>So you are believing
>>le coder shortage, therefore high pay
https://webapps.gatech.edu/cfcampus/adors/commencement/salary_report_result.cfm?termcode=201502&college=TOTAL&level=1&surveyid=105&Submit=Submit
>>
CS != SE

Here CS classes are part of the Math faculty and SE is part of IT. CS is memed as babby math and SE is memed because self taught brogrammers think they can do the same as an actual engineer. Which is true, if you do enterprise crud apps, but falls apart very quickly if you have to anything not already answered on SO. But don't underestimate crud apps, the market is huge.

>source: EE working in software
>>
>>7978398
Why do you people give two shits about what the retards on /sci/ have to say about your field?
>>
>>7981558
>Isn't that pretty much all of the base branches of engineering?

Engineers have, for the most part, very clear specializations. I already argumented this but the conclusion is that a CS degree and a CE degree are not comparable.

A Computer Engineering specializes in just that, computer engineering in a very clear way.

If I ask you what does it mean to be a computer engineer the answer is easy, work in computer hardware and the software that closely runs on it to make a working system.

But what does it mean to specialize in computer science (in undergrad. I must add) ?

That you know algorithms, mathematics and various theoretical subjects that are actually CS?

That you know the best programming practices, the structure of programs and all the technologies required to make a program?

Well... no. You get a little bit of both, really.
>>
>>7981626
Because they are studying computer science, Sherlock.

It is the degree of
>l-look at me I was a retard in high school but now I am LE STEM MEME, therefore I am smart. PLEASE LOOK AT ME

50% insecure neckbearded men
50% insecure attention whory women
>>
>>7981647
Do you see how stupid these people are, OP? They also think all math and physics majors go unemployed. GT has a good CS program; everyone I knew got jobs at Microsoft/Google/etc right off the bat.
>>
>>7981645
>That you know the best programming practices, the structure of programs and all the technologies required to make a program?
>the best programming practices
>the best programming practices

this alone gives away you have no idea what you are talking about
>>
File: RPICrest.jpg (55 KB, 375x338) Image search: [Google]
RPICrest.jpg
55 KB, 375x338
Nuclear engineering reporting in to remind everyone here that all other types of engineering are pleb tier
>>
>>7981664
Great, so CS fags are fine with dismissing accepted programming practices and just handing in undocumented code with variable names like XX_YYY and no clear structure or class hierarchy that keeps everything in place.

Good to know. Let me write that down as reason #4282 to not ever, ever hire a CS major.
>>
>>7981672
>handing in undocumented code with variable names like XX_YYY and no clear structure or class hierarchy that keeps everything in place

so much wrong with this you are just embarrassing yourself. I would not really consider it bait, I think you just really don't have any idea how software development works.
PS you can hire me, I'm not even CS major.
>>
>>7981647
>engineering
>30% bros (usually the specialized ones like MSE/Nuke Engy who get shit on as well)
>60% autist who drool over the thought of their first number crunching cubicle job or act like assholes while obsessing in their banal field with very little recent development
>10% "women" aka. bulldykes and socially awkward tumblrites (or one odd qt BME girl)
>>
>>7978398
>Is it a bad thing to start liking CS so much that you switched from Mechanical Engineering to studying it

Anon the thing about CS is that IT IS a joke at many schools and you better off studying engineering. But at some schools its not. I don't know much about georgia tech but if its a good rigorous program, go for it. Take other higher level stem classes too to bolster your skill set. I'm at Brown and I decided to do cs with applied math instead of engin.
>>
>>7978398
Computer science is fine, as a chem E I regret not choosing it as my major.
>>
>>7978561
Do you really think most engineers utilize everything they learned in school? Hell nah most engineering jobs just require you to look over documents and sign stuff off.
>>
>>7982323
Thats not even remotely true, there are literally equations cheat sheet all over my wall and I find my self browsing certain topics in RSV and DSP to get the task completed.

Were you trying to convince yourself something there mate? Wrong choices in life maybe? lol
>>
>>7982426
Then you're one of the smart ones. Don't delude yourself into thinking all engineers are doing cool complex shit while CS majors are not. The majority of either field ends up just doing shit work.
>>
>>7978398
>switched from Mechanical Engineering to studying it?
Are you an idiot?
>>
>>7983101
No, I got disinterested jumping through hoops to possibly end up working excel spreadsheets and matlab
I've interned in both and CS seems more lucrative, less stressful, and is a rapidly expanding field (most modern day ME advancements are just new PDE formulas / algorithms)

In industry, I'd rather be the guy who decides how a machine will make decisions/move under given physical limits than running scripts so I could give said limits to other people who would actually control how it moved (inb4 someone mentions basic control systems-anything more complex will likely require a programmer)

nothing wrong with it, I just think being able to control a robot with AI and make it navigate through rough terrain is more interesting than using an FEM solver to figure out how much weight its wheel can handle.

Keyword: in industry, just as you are I'm welcome to design or contract someone to design/program something for any personal projects; but this option seems more lucrative to me from every aspect(my personal preference)
also see >>7981558
they are allegedly the highest paid major when starting at my school - and CS doesn't cap out early as fuck like engineering
>>
>>7984321
>CS doesn't cap out early as fuck like engineering
I'm a math major so I'm too knowledgeable about engineering, but doesn't having the P.E. make you gain value as you age?
>>
>>7984380
It doesn't exactly double your pay, probably about a 15-25k+ raise - you'll be around the 90-110k range unless you are lead
>>
>>7981405
r u me
thats my major lol and I like CS much more than physics. I'm going to stay in physics, though, to ensure I don't end up a codemonkey
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.