[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does it feel to know that you will never converse with someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: john_quote2.gif (29 KB, 317x172) Image search: [Google]
john_quote2.gif
29 KB, 317x172
How does it feel to know that you will never converse with someone so intellectually superior that they might as well represent the next step in human evolution?

That you will never witness for yourself the absolute pinnacle of human intelligence?

That you will never know the feeling of talking with someone who by definition is the smartest person on the planet?

That you will never lay eyes on someone who could effortlessly outdo universal polymath geniuses such as leibniz, galileo, newton, wolfram, davinci, descartes, and so on?

Unfortunately our 1 in 500 years genius died in 1957.

He made major contributions to a number of fields, including mathematics (foundations of mathematics, functional analysis, ergodic theory, geometry, topology, and numerical analysis), physics (quantum mechanics, hydrodynamics, fluid dynamics and quantum statistical mechanics), economics (game theory), computing (Von Neumann architecture, linear programming, self-replicating machines, stochastic computing), and statistics.

He also single handedly saved us from the russians. If it wasnt for him we would all be either dead, or speaking russian right now.

Please bow your head in a moment of silence for humanity's last great polymath.
>>
You should know by now that it's a filthy world we live in...

Sometimes, or for the very intelligent, almost all of the time, it's best to keep to themselves what they know, what they discover and what they prove.
>>
>>7975562
yeah, it sucks that there is no great story teller to pass time before you die

Jesus christ the level of the STEM kids...
>>
>>7975562
Goddammit that's an awesome qoute.

That optimistic sense of progress and team work is really missing in the modern age. We've lost focus, it's all about trivial social issues today.
>>
>>7975579
that look of sadness in his eyes as he has become aware that there probably isnt a single person on the planet who can truly know his mind
>>
> During a Senate committee hearing he described his political ideology as "violently anti-communist, and much more militaristic than the norm". He was quoted in 1950 remarking, "If you say why not bomb [the Soviets] tomorrow, I say, why not today? If you say today at five o'clock, I say why not one o'clock?"[117]

GOAT
>>
>>7975562
Blame Hitler, he killed all the Jews.
>>
>>7975562
He was dumb as fuck.
>>
File: neumann.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
neumann.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>7976178
I'm onto you, Seinfeld.
>>
>people like Neumann actually lived
>leftists still claim that intelligence is merely environmental
>>
>>7976277
>thread about Neumann's genius
>persecutes his imagined 'leftist' enemies with strawman arguments

People like Neumann laugh at you.
>>
I had a series of private conversations with Dick Feynman. Does that make me cool?
>>
He was very prolific but he wasn't a genius, in the sense that he made babby tier contributions, not ground breaking revolutionnary ideas.
>>
>>7975562

I also admire von Neumann.

I do have a question to pose to the people of /sci/, however: would it upset you to know that von Neumann didn't shrug off black mathematicians as not being worth his time?
>>
File: 1459443785177.png (465 KB, 825x800) Image search: [Google]
1459443785177.png
465 KB, 825x800
I would just feel even more insecure about how stupid I am if I could ever meet someone that brilliant. That's how I felt when I read about Turing, Newton and Leibniz, too. I wouldn't even be a human compared to him.

I don't even work in or study the sciences because I'm too stupid for even algebra; I just find it interesting and read about it from time to time. Even visiting this board makes me depressed as fuck.
>>
File: 0zoe0yw.gif (997 KB, 281x264) Image search: [Google]
0zoe0yw.gif
997 KB, 281x264
>>7976401
Stupid faggot.
>>
>>7976387

I'm sorry, anon, but what are your academic credentials again? Just because something seems easy now that he was able to explain it to somebody doesn't make it 'babby tier.' Literally every person since his time working in his field has only made contributions that, to you, aren't 'baby tier' only because people like him were capable of conceiving and formalizing their foundations.

Stop being a pleb and git gud. That computer you're using right now probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for him.
>>
>>7976398
>would it upset you to know that von Neumann didn't shrug off black mathematicians as not being worth his time?
>Implying it's /sci/ that hates blacks and women, not /pol/ and /r9k/

wew
>>
John had earlier said to his mother, "There is probably a God. Many things are easier to explain if there is than if there isn't."

Von Neumann reportedly said in explanation that Pascal had a point, referring to Pascal's Wager.[158][159][160][161] Father Strittmatter administered the last sacraments to him.[12] Some of von Neumann's friends (such as Abraham Pais and Oskar Morgenstern) said they had always believed him to be "completely agnostic."[159][162] "Of this deathbed conversion, Morgenstern told Heims, "He was of course completely agnostic all his life, and then he suddenly turned Catholic—it doesn't agree with anything whatsoever in his attitude, outlook and thinking when he was healthy."[163] Father Strittmatter recalled that von Neumann did not receive much peace or comfort from it, as he still remained terrified of death.[163]

atheists BTFO once again
>>
>>7976431

It's no mystery that great minds have seen value and truth in the notion of there being a God. It's also no mystery that other great minds have not.

The true mark of the unspectacular mind is its readiness to dismiss both the idea and its implications with no genuine thought.
>>
>>7976431
He was getting chemotherapy, that fucks up everyone's brains. Anyone would go full brainlet with chemotherapy.
>>
>>7976410

come on, faggot

Neumann was an evil jewish lunatic responsible for the murder of millions of slant eyed japs

he maximized the lethal effect of the nukes but other than that nothing extraordinary,

he just had the chance to live in a time when he had free access to plenty of cool things from the US military
>>
>>7976454

>evil

Debatable. You would have to know him to know his nature.

>jewish

Lots of Jewish mathematicians out there. Plenty of Jewish mathematicians making non-"babby tier" contributions.

>nuke

It's still fairly impressive that he was able to conceive of how to do this.

>just had access to cool stuff from the US military

Anybody can have access to cool stuff from the US military. The issue is having the merit and capability of actually being deemed worthy of that access.
>>
>>7975572
Hes alright.
But he could never surpass Ramanujan.
>>
>>7975811
Juckold detected.
>>
>>7976374
yes
>>
>>7976431
he said that to comfort her moron
>>
>>7976454
He wasn't a jew he cucked the Jewish community by converting to christianity (twice) soon after his father died.
>>
>>7975562
The genetic dice have no memory?
>>
>>7976398
>Implying this is /pol/
>>
>>7975562
What would you have me do?
>>
>>7976431
Kinda funny he became a catholic because of being shit scared of death. His big brain couldn't save him from that.
>>
>>7978137
Well yeah, no matter how intellectually superior he was, he was still an animal like every other human... Natural instinct doesn't make exceptions.
>>
>>7978168
There is no such thing as death. Every time you go to sleep and wake up, you're a slightly different person -- neurons have rewired themselves in your brain, connections have been formed and others have withered away.

You only believe you are the same person because of memory constructs. However, even memories change slightly and fade, and are by no means accurate depictions of the past.
>>
>>7975562
>He also single handedly saved us from the russians. If it wasnt for him we would all be either dead, or speaking russian right now.

I'm sorry, am I missing something here?
>>
>>7976243
Top kek
>>
>>7975562
>How does it feel to know that you will never converse with someone so intellectually superior that they might as well represent the next step in human evolution?

In the way I see it, if you are able simply to think by yourself; if you have critical thinking; if you do not fall for wishful thinking; if you are aware that is very difficult to apprehend the thing-in-it-self, but you desperately try to do it; if you are not a bigot; if you know that our universe is amazing; if you know that you are not perfect, than you are what we could call the "nest spet of human evolution".

The majority of the population are like speaking-monkeys with some technological toys pretending (and fooling thenselves) to be wonderful fellas.

Iknow that I will never be a Newton or an Alan Turing, but I will try the better I can to, in the line of humanity, get closer to then and more distant possible of the rest.
>>
>>7978179
>There is no such thing as death.
u wot m8

As for the rest, are you implying that Neumann wasn't the same person in his deathbed? If you just assume that the rewiring of neurons irrevocably changes people's personalities then everyone would (significantly) change all the time. Continuity in the skills and desires of a human shows that people don't change (significantly) when you sleep. You simply have no evidence that Neumann was a different person when he started believing.
>>
>>7978195
>if you are not a bigot

i.e. if you ignore all race-IQ statistics and dig your head in the sand with regards to the truth

kek and you call yourself a scientist
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.