[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there LED street lights in your city? Our city had planned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8
File: LED-lights-replacement.jpg (83 KB, 600x340) Image search: [Google]
LED-lights-replacement.jpg
83 KB, 600x340
Are there LED street lights in your city?

Our city had planned on installing these to replace the old yellow sodium lamps. They never did in the end, but I wish they did.

It be nice to drive at night and not have everything be colored piss yellow and washed out.

They save a lot of electricity, and I heard that they could help to reduce crime.
>>
>>7974994
> I heard that they could help to reduce crime. [citation needed]
>>
I see LED lights all the time, no idea if they are better or not visually
>>
>>7974994

sodium bulbs are cozy tho
>>
>>7974994
Never seen sodium lights on streets, so yes, LED in OzLand
>>
>>7974994
>Are there LED street lights in your city?
Yes, the old sodium lights were worthless and weak, they would overheat and shut off ten or fifteen minutes at a time. The new LEDs are cheaper and more reliable.
>>
File: led lights.png (668 KB, 702x501) Image search: [Google]
led lights.png
668 KB, 702x501
LEDs are CANCER

If they had been using LED lights back in copernicus' day, he never would have discovered the moon with his telescope

LED white light bleaches the sky so you cant see anything with your telescopes
>>
>>7974994
>but I wish they did.
How fucking terrible is your taste?

There is nothing more cozy than sodium lamps.
>>
>>7974994
/sci/ -science and math
>>
>>7974994
>>>/n/
>>>/o/
>>
>>7975472
>>7975111
This so much.

Leds are so fucking annoying, they are too bright. I prefer the sodium yellow light.
So many memories of traveling at night... Now it just seems like noon.
>>
>>7974994
My country generally switches off our street ligths because we can't afford it, they've even started switching off high-ways and main roads.
>>
>>7975499
>Now it just seems like noon.
Wasn't part of the point about sodium that it didn't fuck with plant's diurnal cycle?
>>
>>7974994
I used to work in cleanroom labs with photo lith and the yellow light took quite some time to get used to. And when you went outside it took a little while to readjust to normal lighting.

For what it is worth, I never heard of crime in a cleanroom. Zing!

>>7975111
>sodium
There are two types: low pressure and high pressure. One emits light in only two very narrow bands and makes recognizing people hard. I heard they had to replace these in train stations since people had trouble finding each other. The plus side is that filtering out these bands is easy for astronomers.

>>7975531
>plant's diurnal cycle
Sounds strange. I have been north of the northern polar circle in summer when sun shines 24 hours a day and I never heard of plants having problems. Cycles came up when the Americans planned gigantic space mirrors in Earth - Sun Lagrange point 2 to illuminate Earth's nightside permanently.

There have on the other hand been recent debate about blue light messing up the cycle of birds, specifically the robin. This came up after bright blue streetlights were put up in Scotland and in Japan, for reducing crime and suicide.
>>
>>7974994

>san jose fag

Your sodium lights suck ass. Every like looks like a changing stop light.
>>
>>7975370
Yeah, because light pollution never existed before LED lights.
>>
>>7974994
old towns look better with sodiums tho
>>
>>7974994
I've noticed our village has replaced them a few months ago
>>
>They save a lot of electricity, and I heard that they could help to reduce crime.

Would black light cause an increase in crime?
>>
>>7975499
>>7975111
Came here to say this, I'm used to sodium, LEDs just confuse you into thinking it's daylight.
>>
>>7975737
Yes because you couldn't see any niggers.
>>
>>7975742
Went to South Africa. Took a guided tour to a wild life preserve. The guide, a former soldier in unclear wars pointed out that wild life also was very much outside these closed in ranges. So they had put up street lights in the villages to stop people being mauled by lions. The natives responded by shooting out the lights. So now people can still be mauled by lions.

The moral of the story is ... errr ... well ... uhh ...
>>
>>7975755
>The moral of the story is
Close your borders before it's too late.

t. South African (for real)
>>
>>7975756
>keep blacks out of Africa by closing borders
wut where do you think blacks come from? Outer space?
>>7975755
Dumb villagers do dumb shit. Like no white person has ever shot out streetlights in some backwater USA hillbilly town. In fact my Bulgarian mate was telling be about how in his army days he had spare machine gun rounds that the camp commander told him to dispose of so they went around town chopping down street lights with machine gun fire. But when blacks do it it's NIGGERS!!!!
>>
>>7974998
You are retarded
>>
>>7975765
>Dumb villagers do dumb shit.
Yes and the "smart" rich black city kids burn down university buildings.
>>
>>7975370
>LED white light bleaches the sky so you cant see anything with your telescopes

LED lights cause LESS light pollution you stupid mong.
>>
Sodium lights are the ugliest lights ever made and I'm glad they're being phased out, but I do think it's worth at least considering what is the best spectrum to use instead, since you can manufacture LEDs to produce whatever light you want. A reddish light might be nice.
>>
>>7975531
>Wasn't part of the point about sodium that it didn't fuck with plant's diurnal cycle?

Cost was literally the only consideration in adoption of sodium lights. They last longer and use less power than incandescents or mercury vapor. That's why you only see them in public places - "this light is disgusting" is a valid argument for private establishments.
>>
>>7975755
The moral of the story is that suddenly introducing bright nighttime lighting to a village where people aren't used to light pollution is a poorly planned move and it's pointless to blame some african dude for trying to turn off shit that's fucking with his brain and metabolism.
>>
>>7975661
>light "'"""""pollution"""""""
What next? You can not study due to brain pollution?
>>
My city has these in parts. The are doing rolling replacements when the sodium ones break. They make stuff look like a black and white movie. It's sort of weird.
>>
>>7975765
>Like no white person has ever shot out streetlights in some backwater USA hillbilly town.
How common is it for backwater USA to be troubled by lions routinely snacking on the locals?

>>7975915
how can light be a problem for brain and metabolism? Or is it some superior genes that enable northern Europeans and Eskimos to survive 24 sunshine in the summer?

The lights were set up to avoid your dudes from becoming part of a lion's metabolism.

Darwin does not take prisoners.
>>
>sodium lights are cozy

Candle light is even cozier. Why don't we use candles instead?
>>
>>7976036
>how can light be a problem for brain and metabolism?
Humans can sense light, humans are sensitive to light, the human body reacts to changes in lighting.
>>
>>7974994
I'm sure some cities have a warehouse full of LEDs to replace the yellow "sodium" Street lights.
>>
>>7976075
So why should the reaction be so adverse there than in, say Greenland, that people would rather be eaten by lions?

Truly, I just do not understand.
>>
>>7976107
If you think about it, being eaten by a lion is a rare occurrence but the light would be there every night and probably still wouldn't give 100% protection against lions.
>>
>>7976107
I don't understand, do you sleep with all your lights on?
>>
>>7975768
No he's not, you are.
>>
>>7975520
What shit country is it?
>>
>>7975808
the same reasons they are switching to LED lights now.
>>
>>7975969
>They make stuff look like a black and white movie.

I think there is something wrong with your brain? White light gives best color contrast.
>>
>>7976130
>If you think about it
I could guess but that is all it would be. The guide was living there and guiding people on mini safaris where there were lions and other dangerous animals. There was no reason for him to lie to me, just a tourist.

>>7976134
I prefer not to but when I am north of the northern polar circle during the summer I have no choice. Sure you can put up blankets and try to close out the sunlight but then it gets unbearably hot. It is easier just to get used to it. And that is something I do have experiences in.

>>7975969
>They make stuff look like a black and white movie.
That is low pressure sodium light, it emits light in two very narrow bands that are close to each others. So either you see things reflecting yellow or you see nothing.
>>
>>7974998
Women will vote for more government spending if it makes them feel safer, and the liberal media... well... Sigh....
>>
>>7975499
it's truth that night doesn't seems like night anymore
>>
>>7975796
WHY
>>
File: Welsbach Mantle Light.jpg (10 KB, 230x208) Image search: [Google]
Welsbach Mantle Light.jpg
10 KB, 230x208
>>
>>7976710
>WHY

Why what? Why reddish light? Red light doesn't hurt night vision and it doesn't screw up circadian rhythms or keep people awake. Of course, it's bad for color perception.

Probably pure white is best for highways and commercial areas, while reddish light would be better for residential areas.
>>
>>7976724
Here in Colombia bordellis always have red lights.
>>
>>7976066
moonlight is coziest...
>>
My city (Ottawa) is going to start replacing all of the current street light with LEDs over the next 4 years starting June 2016
>>
>>7976686
>... Sigh...
Stop talking like that. You're a self-respecring human being, for God's sake.
>>
So?
>>
they have been putting LEDs into street lights around here. Yet they have not changed the housings. So they are just making things worse. As the light is just going fucking everywhere, like with sodium lights.
>>
>>7976686
>well... Sigh....
"I'm a conservative but I'm also a massive cunt"

Classic trump supporter
>>
>>7975951
Yep

t. Babbage
>>
I like LEDs on expressways for the increased visibility. Yellow light is cozier for surface streets.
>>
>>7975793
Actually the sodium lights produced light of almost all the same frequency so Observatories could just put a filter on for that frequency and so have barely any pollution, LED's aren't the same
>>
>>7978219
>but
Since when were those two terms opposed so as to require a "but" rather than an "and"?
>>
>>7974994
Sodium sulfur lamps are more energy efficient than LED replacements they are in fact the most efficient lighting method commercially available.

But yeah no one likes that color.

Traditional metal halides are often just as efficient as LED on industrial scales. Low cost industrial high efficiency LED's often have shitty wavelength peaks too and are still much more expensive than the halieds.

Induction lights are the new big thing but are currently quite expensive. They beam energy directly into the lamp without using filaments and have the best color and are second in efficiency only to the ugly sodium lamps.
>>
>>7975111
this this this

government conspiracy against cozy

i want my fucking chicago back damnit
>>
>>7975531
I don't think the lights would be bright enough to really affect the plant. Have you ever tried to shine a flashlight during the day. Unless it is a very powerful flashlight you won't even be able to tell it is on. That's how much brighter sunlight is than most sources of artificial light.

Unless the plant is directly under the light at very close range it probably won't even notice the artificial light source.
>>
Don't trump the rump
>>
>>7975951
If your day to day job revolves around studying the night sky, then artificial light that hampers your ability to do so is most definitely pollution.
>>
File: 1_BeforeAfter.jpg (2 MB, 8775x3300) Image search: [Google]
1_BeforeAfter.jpg
2 MB, 8775x3300
The future is happening whether you like it or not. The increase color discrimination is a positive.
>>
>>7979182
Personally I actually really like the sodium lamp color. That's probably just because every LED replacement I have seen has made every road feel depressing because they seem too dim though.
>>
File: crescent-moon.jpg (34 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
crescent-moon.jpg
34 KB, 500x375
>>7981251
Also, natural nighttime ambient light is more cool white/blue than warm yellow. This just just a brighter version of what night naturally looked like before bulbs made people associate night with yellow.
>>
File: 19ejxsht8189djpg.jpg (363 KB, 640x913) Image search: [Google]
19ejxsht8189djpg.jpg
363 KB, 640x913
>>
>>7974994
Fucking view is above the headlights and they're still shining right at the camera. Retarded design, waste of light.

NYC is making the switch. Got a lot of work to do.
>>
>>7981307
Streetlights* not headlights....
>>
>>7981259
? There isn't anything natural about lighting up the night with artificial bright lights.
>>
I prefer white light on motorways and yellow/orange in residential areas.

Then again a lot of councils have been turning the lights off on motorways to save money, makes for some pretty comfy driving.
>>
>>7981256
This. Plus the LED lights are more prone to "blinding" people because of their "positive" attribute of directional lighting, or non-scattering of light. If you get caught looking directly into to the main direction of light, then your going to have trouble seeing anything afterwards. They really should ban them in car headlights tbqh.
>>
>>7981320
You know that's not what I said. I said the blue/white light is closer in the spectrum to the color of natural moonlight than sodium lamps.
>>
>>7981313
The viewer there is positioned ABOVE the light sources. That means the light sources also project light up and away from the street and that is just a waste of light and energy and also reduces night sky visibility.

This is not a problem with LED per se but with the armature. Back in the day around here you could see direct light from streetlights from aircrafts. Things are better now and mostly you now see indirect light only. So the picture is more an example of bad armature.

>>7981330
>Plus the LED lights are more prone to "blinding" people because of their "positive" attribute of directional lighting, or non-scattering of light
This does not parse.
>>
>>7974998
Are you kidding? There has always been a correlation between crime rates and how well lit a neighborhood is.
>>
I can't believe there are people ITT who actually like sodium lights.
>>
I wish they would, but for now I'll just be content with 6500k bulbs in my house.
>>
they replaced all the street lights in my old town with LEDs after some girl got kidnapped and murdered. seemed kind of silly to me.
>>
>>7981609
I love these. 6500K is master race. My friend calls them morgue lights, though.
>>
>>7981251
The before is just so much better
>>
>>7975499
Low colour temp led lights exist.

>>7981583
>muh comfortable colour temp
>when 2000K phosphor led COBs exist.
>>
>>7981320
Is there anything natural about a street?
>>
>>7974994
The 2nd pic looks nice.
>>
File: Led-before-after.jpg (29 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Led-before-after.jpg
29 KB, 480x480
>>7981256
Yeah, it's probably because yours were too dim. The LEDs look less depressing to me. The white light makes night look like day.
>>
They replaced some of the bulbs in my hometown. The LEDs are much confier than the other ones. You can actually compare them since some of the streets with the old lights are next to the ones with the new ones, and from my experience I can say I generally feel more calm around the LEDs
>>
only on some section of express way and some newer developments I believe.

it is a great fucking idea IMO. cost, effectiveness and cutting down on traffic accidents alone are enough reasons to warrant them. very interesting thought about it cutting down on crime. people who commit crimes for profit or just general opportunity will often do so only when they feel as if they can do so with relative security.

this is science you dense fucks. hit this kk and get the fuck over yourselves.
>>
>>7979138
This is bait. LEDs produce very narrow bands of wavelength
>>
>>7985754
LPS has a very narrow band.

With leds you can get a bunch of blue diodes and put on a layer of phosphor and get a complete spectrum.
>>
LED street lights are the best thing ever. Town recently installed them and they are amazing. It is absolutely great not to have bright yellow light shining into my apartment anymore.

When I first encountered them, I almost had an eyegasm.

>>7975370
I was going to say muh viewing angle and that LEDs only illuminate the road, but it turns out that in practice they really are worse http://www.flagstaffdarkskies.org/led-lighting-dark-skies/

Dammit, with advancements in LED technology the future is gonna be so bright that people won't even be able to see the moon
>>
You don't know pain until your girlfriend sets up cheap LED Christmas lights in your apartment running on AC. The headaches started pretty much immediately. I tried a rectifier to run it on DC but only some of them lit up because the Chinese manufacturers didn't keep track of polarity.

I assume that street lights run on AC. I'll stick to Sodium.
>>
>>7985961
That's why you put a smoothing capacitor after the rectifier. You get a poor power factor but it removes the flicker.
>>
>>7975770
Straw is yellow, yet you appear to be invoking a black straw man. Argument invalidated
>>
>>7975636
I thought the reason we had the yellow streetlights in San Jose was due to some agreement with one of the observatories to have them up so it would be easier for them to see the stars. Just recently that agreement ended so now we are swapping to white LEDs
>>
>>7986074
Not bad advice. I'll try it next holiday season if it comes around.
>>
>>7975715
This. You go to Seoul or some other mega city and white LED lights give off a modern look to the city. Helps with the image and tourism. Makes the city look clean and sharp. While sodium is good for older cites/towns gives a cozy feel to it. Feels warm.
>>
>>7986349
>a cozy feel to it. Feels warm.

Strongly disagree. Sodium light is puke.
>>
yeah LED lights are pretty nice, here's a comparison between them and the old lights we had in my town:

youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.