[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any medical students here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Antibiotics.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
Antibiotics.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
Any medical students here that could help me with a problem?

So, I was diagnosed with a throat and chest infection by the doctor about 5 or 6 weeks ago. He gave me a course of antibiotics, and they didn't work. I then went to my own GP, and she gave me a different course of antibiotics. I finished the full course and it got rid of it for about 2 or 3 weeks. But now it's back again full force.

I'm coughing constantly, I'm spitting up green phlegm, and I'm using my inhaler way more than I usually do. My dad has just given me the full course of antibiotics his doctor gave him for something similar for some reason, so I've started taking them now.

Should the fact that it came back despite the fact that I've taken two courses of antibiotics be cause for concern, /sci/?
>>
It doesn't work because it's viral.
>>
>>7971756
It could be, but then why did it go away for roughly two weeks after the second course then? Surely if it was viral, they'd have no effect whatsoever.
>>
>>7971737
could be viral....
>>
If you took your dads course it is not a full course ie. The microbes say thanks and that's why Africa has become op to antibiotics
>>
>>7972014
It is a full course. He hasn't taken any of them. He didn't even open the box for some reason.
>>
Do not take your dad's antibiotics without consulting your doctor. You could be selecting for more resistant bacteria (especially if it's an antibiotic that works by the same mechanism as something you already got). It would help us if you could write specifically what medications you got.
I also understand you have asthma or some other obstructive respiratory condition? Some medications may be contraindicated (I don't know what you are getting for your condition), so please take extra care and consult your doctor.
>>
>>7971737
2-3 weeks without symptoms after the first infection is long enough that the new condition may not be related. Either way, treating bacterial infections is tricky and pathogenic microbes have unique resistance profiles. The best thing to do (if you don't start to get better after time, rest and fluids) would be to get lab work done at a medical microbiology lab, assuming you have the resources, so that you can find out what the nature of the infection is. That way a medical professional can make the most informed decision about the proper course of antibiotics without giving you ones on a whim and selecting for resistant strains that hurt yourself in the long run or needlessly inhibit your typical microbiota.

Either way, if I had to take a poorly informed guess, I'd say you have a case of acute bronchitis and that it's most likely viral. If this is the case, you can go in to your GP and receive nebulized albuterol every couple of days as treatment and take decongestants and cough medicine as needed or under the discretion of your doctor.
>>
>>7972142
>you can go in to your GP and receive nebulized albuterol every couple of days as treatment

If your GP have a private practice and you pay out of the ass perhaps. If you're in any place they care about treating those in need instead of those who complain the most they'll tell you to go home and rest.
>>
>>7972154
If he goes in with symptoms, the typical course of action would be to listen to his chest with a stethoscope then administer a spirometry. If he has bronchitis, he will be treated. A nebulizer dose takes just minutes to receive and the doctor would order a nurse or assistant to give him the treatment. It's not at all time-consuming, complex, or expensive assuming he has health-care. Even a free clinic or program would run the same tests and treatment as necessary -- it's such a simple/regular case.
>>
Hope you don't have pylori lmao
>>
dasda
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.