[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone convince me that singularity is a dumb meme? It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: 1459307628036.jpg (406 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
1459307628036.jpg
406 KB, 880x880
Can someone convince me that singularity is a dumb meme?

It's the only thing that computer """""""science""""""fags have about their field of study that is even mildly interesting. Please tell me why its bullshit so we can get cuck sci posters off of our borad.
>>
>>7971230
>meme
>cuck
Upvoted xD Nice to see another meme conissieur from reddit :)
>>
>>7971230
Except there are many interesting things in Computer Science. The singularity to computer science is like Schrödinger's cat to Physics, something that people spout after watching the Big Bang Theory to make themselves look smart.
>>
>>7971239
How's your first month on 4chan, ex-redditor?
>>
>>7971230

You should go back to rebbit you fucking aspie. muh singylarrity has nothing to do with comp sci
>>
>>7971230

It'll be a meme until it happens. Intel has already admitted they can't quite keep up with Moore's law (this year) unless there's some huge breakthrough in lithography, and the doubling number of transistors on a given space is critical to the Singularity predictions by Kurzweil.

So, we'll see.
>>
>>7971230
Singularity is a dumb meme just like that humans use 10 percent of their brain.
>>
File: singularity.png (13 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
singularity.png
13 KB, 1000x1500
>>7971230

CS majors are so stupid that they actually think because the rate of growth is exponential, the actual function must be "super exponential" and thus heading to a vertical asymptote
>>
>>7971230
Singularity already happened.

It states
>you cannot follow the progress with an un-augmented brain.

Now toss your computer and try to keep up with what's happenign in the world.

Even with a computer it's hard. 80%+ of all data ever generated by mankind was generated in the last 2 yers. Without AI to sift through and manage that it's just an ever growing pile of information overload.

Did you expect fireworks and angelic trumpets? Too bad.

Even if assume that "oh the TRUE singularity haven't happened yet!" it's still going to be a mundane event. Becuase the curve of progress is smooth the apparent rate of progress from day singularity-1 will be virtually the same as day singularity+1.

>tl;dr it's a boring, overhyped meme and it already happened.
>>
File: 1459068470967.jpg (86 KB, 634x561) Image search: [Google]
1459068470967.jpg
86 KB, 634x561
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.