[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Chinese, and possibly Russians, are sending people on a one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: andromeda-galaxy.jpg (193 KB, 630x870) Image search: [Google]
andromeda-galaxy.jpg
193 KB, 630x870
The Chinese, and possibly Russians, are sending people on a one way trip into space. Why does the US government give one flying fuck if people want to possibly volunteer their lives for the exploration of space? I don't want to die of old age.
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 299x168
>>
Anyone psychologically deficient enough to throw their life away to hurl into space and not come back is not fit to be in charge of a spaceship
>>
>>7968927
Wow why even climb out of your mother's womb?
>>7968925
>>7968927
Fucking cowards
>>
File: 1447048046838.jpg (52 KB, 557x711) Image search: [Google]
1447048046838.jpg
52 KB, 557x711
>>
>>7968922
Don't worry. American's views on science will change when the Chinese start pumping out super humans and the Russians weaponize space.
>>
>>7968922
>I want to spend the rest of my life on a barron, desolate planet; with the same group of people and limited to no entertainment. Everyday being the same, until I die.

You're retarded if you honestly want to do that. Also this >>7968927
>>
>>7969447
Are you stupid? That's how you imagine the first group of humans founding the first planetary colony will live? Your main concern is that there won't be a variety of people or entertainment?

Dude you realize they will be creating the first colony and paving the way for thousands more humans in the future? Best case scenario they live long enough to see their hard work become the foothold for a new civilization.
>>
>>7969449
>Are you stupid?

Nope, but you apparently are. Take a group of people and lock them away in a chamber in complete isolation with only limited amount of entertainment. Do that and see how long it is until they go insane, I think in Europe they don't alow the extradition of prisoners to the US if said prisoner is going to spend the rest of their life in a Super-max prison, the extreme social isolation is considered a form of torture. At NASA a lot of research has gone into how to keep astronauts entertained on long space flights, also before missions they take time to make sure the astronauts work well as a team. They do this because they realise something you don't, that humans are social creatures that do require a certain amount of novelty to keep them sane and stop tempers from ripping the team apart. Hell is other people, anon.
>>
>>7969460
>take a group of like-minded, intelligent explorers, scientists, and engineers. Send them on the most important mission of their lives where they must work together to survive and flourish and create a civilization on a new world.

All you can think about is that there won't be enough entertainment. The isolation and loneliness will be challenges, but they will have each other and periodic updates from Earth. It is something our explorers WILL have to face. Explorers of the past faced much worse isolation, with worse technology and understanding of the world.

You are small minded.

Read Red Mars, it might give you a better perspective on this stuff.
>>
>>7969472
>Explorers of the past faced much worse isolation,
TOP KEK
>>
>>7969460
This. I came here to say why does everyone say supermax is hellish yet thinks being blasted into deep space in a tiny spacecraft on a one way trip is not? In fact it's worse because you can't even appeal your way out of that.
>>
>>7969472
No they had boatloads of women with them and Indians to talk to and fight when they reached their destination. Most importantly Pennsylvania looked pretty identical to France. Unless you're from the Atacama desert you will have a tough time adapting to Mars.
>>
File: Euphoric_individual.jpg (38 KB, 548x618) Image search: [Google]
Euphoric_individual.jpg
38 KB, 548x618
>>7969472
>All you can think about is that there won't be enough entertainment.

You've completely missed the point. Humans require entertainment, don't believe me then go subject yourself to 24 hours sensory deprivation, it's surprisingly similar to what you'd have on your baron planet, no sights, no sounds, nothing but the feeling of cold hard metal 24 hours a day for the rest of your life.

>but they will have each other and periodic updates from Earth

Yay, a grain 10 minute long (probably pushing it at that desu) video that lets them know we haven't forgotten about them.

>Explorers of the past faced much worse isolation

Explorers of the past normally set out on multiple ships sometimes numbering in the hundreds (Magellan for example had 5 ships and a total crew of 270). We're talking about half a dozen people, max.

>You are small minded.
Pic related

> it might give you a better perspective on this stuff.

If it's lead you to have this "better perspective" then I think I'll give it a pass. Humans are not automata, they need certain to feel certain things, they need to do certain things. I honestly can't understand why you're having such a hard time understanding this, it's like you've never been bored before.
>>
we dont have infinit resourses and ra metal and all that to waist it on randoms that jus want to die in space cuz"its kidda cool". we need smart evolved space colonisation. no polinesian in the pacifique. it feels similar but we cant just send duds in random direction. we need to out smart ourself. AND this is is my first 4chan post ever. yeaaay from the south pacifique
>>
>>7968922
Sending people to die in a war has been far more profitable to the u.s
>>
As already pointed out, I don't think that true one way trips are ever going to be a thing. Even in the case of the first Martian colonists, they'll probably rotate back to earth every few years. Once the colony is larger and more like living in a small town than a submarine, some people may choose to stay indefinitely even if given the option of returning, but we'll likely never be sending out manned missions with zero possibility of returning.

The reason the US government gives a flying fuck about people heading off to space with no possibility of return is that the US government would be paying for it, and there's a lot more potential for a couple guys trapped in a tin can for the rest of their lives to go nuts and ruin the mission than there is with a more sensible approach.
>>
>>7968922
Because they care about sjw.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.