[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I studied computer engineering as my undergrad and now I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: wiggle.gif (87 KB, 125x289) Image search: [Google]
wiggle.gif
87 KB, 125x289
I studied computer engineering as my undergrad and now I'm interviewing for a QA Engineering position tomorrow and a Software Developer the day after.

Will I be okay if I get one of these jobs? I know C, assembly, python, and to a lesser extent Java.

>all those years spent studying circuits for nothing
>>
>>7965677
>>all those years spent studying circuits for nothing
>thinking any experience in life is a waste
>>
>>7965677
You will almost for sure get the QA job if you show drive.

I worked as a QA intern and it was the most fun I ever had. Sure QA is a lot of monotonous, repetitive, checklist type work, but it's a lot of fun if you make it fun.

I automated a lot of shit in our team so I also had that going for me. My internship I was a software development intern, and I found this less fulfilling than the QA position.

The software development position should require you to be more comfortable with basic data structures and coding. There will probably be a whiteboard coding session where they ask you to implement something similar to fizzbuzz.

Just be a personable guy. Show a sense of humor. Don't be too uptight. You'll be fine.

Good luck! =)
>>
I had the same problem , I started as Software Developer in Test when I graduated. However I found more difficult to switch between Test/QA Engineer to Software Developer than Software Developer to QA/Tests Engineer, just because recruiters have some misconceptions of those two roles.
>>
>>7965905

It's just disappointing to not get to use 70% of what you studied, however I still love hobbyist electronics so that will keep me somewhat engaged.

>>7965972

Is pseudo code okay or should I stick to C?

>>7966029

The phrase "pigeon holed" comes to mind. It's this or continue doing a course based masters. I'd really rather do a research based but I want to work for a bit and find something that I can really see myself focusing on for a few years. The job market is in a weird spot these days.
>>
>>7965677
Yes you did waste your years, if you study CS you will be advanced Software Engineer.

I can't see any reason why you apply on Software position, you should go to hardware company!!
>>
>>7966274

Job market isn't great around here and nobody wants to relocate no one without experience.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.