[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw 90% of my fellow CS majors dislike math At least the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: Comp_Sci_.png (1 MB, 1499x860) Image search: [Google]
Comp_Sci_.png
1 MB, 1499x860
>tfw 90% of my fellow CS majors dislike math
At least the rest did join me in taking a bunch of cool electives like category theory and real analysis
>>
If you wanted to study algebraic geometry, you shouldn't have picked CS, my boy.
>>
>>7962745
If people liked math, they'd be math or physics majors
>>
>>7962745
I feel you man. I'm studying CS//Multimedia (you can't minor in math if you took that) too.
There were two math classes teaching the very basics of linear algebra, number theory and analysis, and that's it. No more math after that.
The math tests i took in CS were almost calculative (almost no proofs), yet 50% of the people taking them didn't pass.
I mean whats so difficult about taking numers and plugging them in a formula // calculative concept and writing down the result.
>>
File: chemistry study.png (589 KB, 1499x956) Image search: [Google]
chemistry study.png
589 KB, 1499x956
>>7962745
boohoo, cry about it all the way to the bank.
>>
>>7963586
>majoring in something for the money
>>
>>7962745
You should'be majored in Communication Systems if you wanted a mix of CS and math, pure CS is programming/architecture/networking orientrd after the first year.
>>
File: 1455407202287.jpg (43 KB, 601x481) Image search: [Google]
1455407202287.jpg
43 KB, 601x481
>>7962745
>mfw "Discrete Mathematics with Ducks" is an actual book
>>
>>7963677
>tfw continuous mathematics with mallards doesn't exist
>>
File: wtf.gif (2 MB, 370x335) Image search: [Google]
wtf.gif
2 MB, 370x335
>>7963677
That is an old hat, I am wondering about the "Copying and pasting from stackoverflow" one.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29437996-copying-and-pasting-from-stack-overflow
Is the only thing I found
>leatherbound, 9 pages
>>
>>7962745
Does that mean I'll be okay? I'm not the only one then? It's not that I hate math, but I'm terrible at it, and CS is the only profession that truly interests me
>>
>>7963767
I'm not sure if the cursus is the same everywhere, but my first year in CS (in Switzerland) was about 50% math, 10% physics and 40%programming.
I'm okay at maths so I still managed to pass but I had to work on it, if you're really terrible you might have a hard time.
I'm pretty sure there are alternatives to college that won't require a lot of math and still let you study CS though, you'll probably not have the same beginning salary as a college grad but you can work your way up from there and do what you like.
>>
Just double major in mathematics and CS
>>
>>7962745
I have no idea why people would study math as CS majors. There is too much to learn in modern CS, to actually spend your time on real math.
>>
>>7963873
Pleb filter to take the people who are already experienced in programming out of their comfort zone and see if they can manage and are willing to put in some work I guess.
I agree that in the long run it's not that useful though, but I went through it so it's manageable.
>>
>tfw finished my math degree but still taking my first CS class
This shit is difficult. Maybe I just took a difficult class but this is not easy. I apologize for doubting you code monkeys, I thought it would be much easier than this.
>>
>>7962745
Double major in CS/maths my friend. That's what all maths-savvy CS students do.

>>7963586
>Bachelor-Level chemists

there's your answer

It's like people think "3 years studying was enough, I chemist now" really works.
>>
>>7963586
>buying into the cs bubble
>2016

https://archive.is/98Kto
>>
>>7963873
if you plan on going into certain sub-fields such as machine learning or cryptography, you need much more math than is required by a typical CS degree.
>>
>>7963936
Post some example work from the class.
>>
File: image-773266.jpg (82 KB, 506x662) Image search: [Google]
image-773266.jpg
82 KB, 506x662
>>7962745
you forgot my favorite compsci book meme
>>
>>7962745
math major here. discrete mathematics with ducks is not that bad desu
>>
>>7963649
thats why i did lesbian dance theory and now identify as an attack helicopter
>>
File: 1450208407467.jpg (356 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450208407467.jpg
356 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>7965731
Anyone who isn't in it for the money must be a lesbian dancer. You heard it here first.
>>
>>7963677
Apparently it's just a regular discrete math book with a bunch of duck jokes. The author said she named it that because everyone else was naming their intro math books "<topic> with _____".
>>
>>7965926
I always knew Yui was a CSfag
>>
>>7962745
Every single day

>He guys, aren't other CS majors so dumb LOL? I do like my math xDDD I, like, got a C in Calc I, so I got the smartzzz XDDDDDD

then the next day

>He guys, am I really the only smart CS major? I mean like LOL, there was this math test and everyone got a D, except me because I got a D+ LOL so EZ I am like so smartyyy XD

next day

>Fuuucking CS majors (except me LOL <3 also im le grill garming grull grool girl!) are so dumb xD. I actually got a C in linear algebra, I def got it LOL!

So I have 2 theories

The one """"""""""""smart"""""""""""""" CS major comes to /sci/ every single day to make the same post but worded different and this is just the biggest samefag in the history of 4chan.

Or

Every single CS major in the world thinks that he is the one smart CS major while everyone else is the retard, and then they come here to boast about how they are the CS jesus or some shit.

What do you think, people of /sci/?

Samefag or mass delusion? I go with #2.

Anyways...

>IF YOU WERE ACTUALLY SMART YOU WOULD BE STUDYING MATHEMATICS, PHYSICS OR ENGINEERING RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>7962833
Lots of physics majors don't like maths either. I'm not even sure mathematicians like maths
>>
>>7966369
>I don't like math, therefore I will get a PhD in math

Boy, you took that video about triple integrals and banach spaces way too seriously.

Nobody actually majors in math and gets his masters in math because of a bet and nobody actually gets his PhD in math out of spite.

It is a nice story to tell though,
>>
>>7962745
>real analysis
>literal baby tier intro undergrad math
>comp sci majors actually think this is advanced

Kill
>>
>>7966359
I think it may be a mixture of both.

I'm a CS major, and ever since I really started learning more about the field my self esteem gets lower and lower. I do well in my classes, but I fear that I need to learn a lot more before I can be even remotely competent as a whole.
>>
>>7966379
lol as if 2 semesters of courses take you anywhere from baby tier to advanced, some of you math second year are delusional.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.