[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the significance of the number 0.707 or 3dB or 1/sqrt(2)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: halfpwer.gif (12 KB, 1152x672) Image search: [Google]
halfpwer.gif
12 KB, 1152x672
What is the significance of the number 0.707 or 3dB or 1/sqrt(2)? I see it everywhere, e.g. bandwidth, quality factor, RMS, damping coefficient, and cutoff frequency. Are they all related somehow?
>>
>>7961326
.707 = cos(45) = sin(45).

-3dB denotes the bandwidth of a signal. That's mostly convention but it is also proportional to [math] \frac{1}{2 \pi \tau} [/math].
>>
>>7961338
Every constant is proportional to a constant.
>>
>>7961338
>-3dB denotes the bandwidth of a signal

How so? Last time I checked it denoted an attenuation by the factor of 2^(-1) (or by the factor of 2 if speaking of power).
>>
>>7961378
Cool dude.

Take an RC circuit, compute [math] \frac{1}{2 \pi RC} [/math] and look at the attenuation of a signal at that frequency, it will be -3dB.
>>
>>7961338
>cos(45) = sin(45)

Stay pleb and keep using the noob degree scale instead of radian master race.
>>
>>7961409
He was more likely to understand the significance of 45 degrees than [math] \frac{ \pi }{4} [/math] due to the fact that he had to ask this question in the first place.
>>
>>7961326
The RMS of a sinusoid is the signals's amplitude divided by sqrt(2).
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.