[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What class did you guys find more difficult and why? calc3, differential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: juvet-6-970x647-c.jpg (214 KB, 970x647) Image search: [Google]
juvet-6-970x647-c.jpg
214 KB, 970x647
What class did you guys find more difficult and why? calc3, differential equations, or linear algebra?
>>
>>7955106
calc 3 and differential equations are basic plug and chug

proof-based linear algebra, while not particularly difficult as far as theoretical math courses go, is probably the hardest of the three

linear algebra for engineers or whoever is just as mindless as the other two
>>
>>7955106
Probability and Stats gave me some trouble. I wound up with an A, but I definitely had to put some serious work in for that.

I think it was because, at the time, it took me a while to properly parse all the problems, and i'd frequently miss some nuance in the english that would completely change the answer.
>>
>>7955145
Oh sorry, I misread the original post. I didn't realize you meant out of those classes

> this is why I had to work so hard for probability

I can't actually comment on the three you posted though. I'm an engineering student, and we have a lame ass "combined" course for linear algebra and differential equations. I can't even comment on calc 3 really, since my school breaks the calc sequence into 4 classes.
>>
>>7955151
>since my school breaks the calc sequence into 4 classes.
What's in the 4th segment? I've never seen a uni break up calc into 4 before.

Do they count differential equations or introductory analysis as calculus or something?
>>
>>7955158
Nope, it's as retarded as you're probably thinking.

> Calc 1: Differential calculus, intro to integral calc
> Calc 2: Integral calc
> Calc 3: Multidimensional differential calc
> Calc 4: Multidimensional integral calc

Depending on who the professor is, Calc 4 often has introductory differential equations tossed into the mix ( my prof never bothered though ).
>>
I am taking diff. eq. next quarter. I assume that it will be my hardest class.
>>
Definitely differential equations because it was fucking boring. At least linear algebra had proofs and wasn't entirely plugnchug, and calc 3/LA had some pretty interesting geometric stuff. Differential equations is just everything that I hate about math classes in one course.

>>7955173

I've also seen a few places that count DE as "Calculus 4". Why would you break up calc 3 into integral/differential though? Do they go super in depth into it at least?
>>
>>7955489
>Do they go super in depth into it at least?

I have no idea, since i've never really payed much attention to how the calc series is structured at other schools. I like to think it is, but i'm pretty sure it's just the department's way of increasing pass rates.

Oddly enough, calc 4 isn't a mandatory course for maths majors.
>>
>>7955555
Man what a waste of quints :(
>>
>>7955570
In the future, everything is chrome.
>>
>>7955106
Vector/Multivariable Calculus and L̶i̶n̶e̶a̶r̵ Matrix Algebra are easy as fuck
Ordinary Differential Equations is pretty annoying with messy algebra and integrals
>>
>>7955151
>>7955173

Are you on the quarter system?
>>
>>7955106
as an EE, I found all of them piss easy
>>
>>7955106
>>7955671
Biology here. Those were all very easy but if I really had to pick it'd be ODEs.
>>
File: DifficultyMajor.png (25 KB, 1155x698) Image search: [Google]
DifficultyMajor.png
25 KB, 1155x698
It's the first classes in college that are the hardest. not because they're hard. but because you're fucking retarded up to this point
>>
>>7955680
What kind of math do biologists use for undergrad and grad?
>>
>>7955106
none of those are difficult. but if I bad to pick one it would probably be linear algebra

since it's the one thats most different from highschool math. calculus and d.e. are just natural progression from highschool, meanwhile algebra just invades your schoolwork and goes off like a babbling retard that will take you a year to get use to
>>
DiffEQ, moreso because my prof was "This makes no sense now, but just use this algorithm to solve the problem". Towards the end we were able to understand why, but having to trust an algorithm at face value was difficult. Also the answers were much more messy than anything you'd see in previous Calculus courses.

Still not that difficult, just tough in adjusting.
>>
Linear Algebra for math majors, which is theorem and proof based, should be more difficult than a regular elementary DE or calc 3 course. There is also a linear algebra at my school that I assume would be about as difficult/deep as a DE or calc 3 course.

>>7955489

>Differential equations is just everything that I hate about math classes in one course

this
I took elementary DE and linear algebra, which was my first proof based course, in the same semester and had more trouble with DE just because I wasn't motivated to learn the material at all. I hated that most of the course focused on methods to solve DEs in certain forms, just step-by-step methods of solving a DE without giving any insight into the actual behavior or properties of the DEs themselves. A lot of the time solving DEs came down to solving long, tedious algebraic equations. What a shitty course.
>>
I don't understand american calculus, in my college calculus 1 is real unidimensional analysis (dif and integral), calc 2 is multi variable and vectorial calc and calc 3 is complex analysis and diff eq
>>
>>7956442
Just split up calc 1 into 2 courses, diff and int. Move calc 2 to calc 3 and split up calc 3 into separate complex variables and diff eqs courses. That's basically it
>>
>>7956455
Why do you guys need 6 months to learn how to derive?
>>
>>7956468

courses are normally 4 months long
>>
>>7956468
How to differentiate? Shit idk
>>
>>7955111
>linear algebra for engineers or whoever is just as mindless as the other two
can confirm """"""Linear Algebra""""" for engineers is pretty laughable in terms of proofs
>>
>>7956470

>mfw diff and integ were covered in 3 weeks in the UK
>>
>>7956477

so you learned the definition of a derivative and how to apply it, tangent lines, all the rules for differentiation, definitions for limits and continuity, the extreme value theorem, the mean value theorem, the definitions of local and global maximums and minimums, implicit differentiation, basic optimization, the definition of critical and inflection points, how to test for inflection, riemann sums, improper integrals, techniques of integration, the fundamental theorem of calculus, power series, taylor series, definitions for convergence and divergence, tests for convergence of a series, polar coordinates, parametric equations, arc length, volume and surface area of solids of revolution, and L'Hospital's Rule in three weeks? because the implication seems to be that what's learned in the first two semesters of calculus in America is being covered in three weeks in the UK.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.