[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say there's 2 objects in the universe. A incredibly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: 1458180322117.jpg (37 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1458180322117.jpg
37 KB, 400x400
Let's say there's 2 objects in the universe. A incredibly large object and another lesser object. These 2 are separated by an incredibly long distance, but enough for the objects to be within each other's gravitational pull.

Given a big enough distance wouldn't it be possible for the objects to exceed the speed of light due to the gravitational acceleration?
>>
>>7954976
no
>>
>>7954976
No; velocity doesn't work that way.
>>
>>7954976
Yes, it's possible to *imagine* a reference frame from which one object appears to move at superluminal velocity /with regard to the other object/, but the manifold that composes questions with embedded "objective" reference frames isn't a valid form of relativistic reality. The problem is that you're trapped in the manifold is can only see the "objectively" superluminal object /as if it was/ moving at near-light velocity.
>>
>>7955002
Another way of saying it is that your "objective" reference frame would have to move at relativistic speeds and ignore that light can't catch up.
>>
File: 1458758480625.png (15 KB, 344x302) Image search: [Google]
1458758480625.png
15 KB, 344x302
>>7954976
>read physics book that the speed of light can't be exceeded
>hey guys if this happened could the speed of light be exceeded
"no"
>>
>>7955152
>read physics book that the speed of light can't be exceeded

Get out of my house!
>>
>>7954976
From a logical point of view, the lesser object will get pulled towards the larger object at a certain speed although the larger object will move towards the lesser object too although at a much lesser rate.

THIS IS ALL ASSUMING THAT WHEN WE SAY LARGE OBJECT WE ALSO MEAN ITS DENSITY IS HIGH AS FUCK

The closer the objects get, the faster they start moving towards one another too until the two objects crash into one another.

>Why isn't the Earth crashing into the sun then
The object and motion keeps them from falling into the sun. This also applies to my thesis above.
>>
File: 1444917271542.gif (342 KB, 480x265) Image search: [Google]
1444917271542.gif
342 KB, 480x265
>>7955244
>thesis
Fuck I meant theory
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.