[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Popsci does it again.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: carbon dihydride.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
carbon dihydride.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
Popsci does it again.
>>
>>7954464
>shitty chemistry mug on top of physics 1 notes

Rich rofl
>>
>>7954464
>carbon dihydride
[eqn]
\begin{aligned}
\mathbf{REACTION} = \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
W & T & F \\
F & W & T \\
T & F & W
\end{array} \right]
\end{aligned}
[/eqn] t. orgo student
>>
Caffeine < theoBROmine
>>
>>7954562
Screw your xanthmemes.
>>
>>7954464
This is confusing. What exactly is the molecule on the right called?

What exactly is this molecule of pure chocolate? I thought chocolate was made of cocoa bean fat, and what have you, including caffeine. Caffeine on the left I understand but they didn't call that one "coffee"
>>
File: images-1.jpg (6 KB, 225x190) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
6 KB, 225x190
>>7954464
Fuck you, I wish people gave faggy chemistry themed merchandise as gifts.

It's less retarded than if I bought these for myself
>>
>>7954571
The one on the right is theobromine. It's found in chocolate. The mug is wrong because "carbon dihydride" is goofy nomenclature for methylene and they differ by a methyl group attached to the N, not a CH2 attached to the NH, which isn't even possible.
>>
>>7954545
Whoah. The matrix of [math]\textbf{W,T,F}[/math] column vectors form WTF, TFW, and FTW....
>>
File: chemsketchfuckery.png (6 KB, 268x284) Image search: [Google]
chemsketchfuckery.png
6 KB, 268x284
>>7954571
I'll bite the bait.
The molecule on the right is called theobromine. It's a trivial name (obviously, looking at the structure makes it clear that it contains no bromine). It's systematic name is most likely some fuckery like caffienes. The difference between caffiene and chocolate is very small but nontheless still easy to spot.

Caffiene and theobromine are known as "xanthines" (pic related):

Caffiene: R1 = methyl group, R2 methyl group, R3 = methyl group
Theobromine: R1 = hydrogen, R2 = methyl group, R3 = methyl group

Unsurpsiginly, these compounds are also considered alkaloids. (look at what's bound in the rings and you'll know why)
>>
File: 640.png (21 KB, 200x188) Image search: [Google]
640.png
21 KB, 200x188
I'm not educated in chemistry, can someone explain what's wrong with it?
>>
>>7954607
Chloroine
>>
>>7954607
what's wrong with the OP pic?
Caffeine and chocolate differ by -CH2- which is called 'methylene' not 'carbon dihydride'.
>>
>>7954607
That pic is the dankest
I II
II I_
yet
>>
File: carbon dihydride.jpg (30 KB, 782x679) Image search: [Google]
carbon dihydride.jpg
30 KB, 782x679
>>7954582
BITCH I MADE IT POSSIBLE!
>>
>>7954638
A reducing agent so powerful, it can donate electrons to God.
>>
>>7954638
Make the structure linear because you have three lone pairs.
>>
>>7954645
can a physicist confirm if positrons can make lone pairs or is it just for electrons?
>>
File: carbon dihydride orbitals.jpg (27 KB, 782x679) Image search: [Google]
carbon dihydride orbitals.jpg
27 KB, 782x679
>>7954645
What if it makes only sp2 hybrid orbitals, and the positrons stay in a p-orbital. That way they don't mix with the electrons, and everyone is happy.
>>
>>7954666
tfw your drawing is literally what i suggested >>7954638 to draw it as

thanks based anon
>>
>>7954666
what are you doing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbene
>>
>>7954673
wait so why did the guy say CH2 isn't possible
>>
>>7954681
The nitrogen can't accept any more bonds. Theobromine has the nitrogen bonded to a carbon with 3 hydrogen bonded to it. The OP pic implies the nitrogen in theobromine is bonded to a hydrogen which is bonded to a carbon (H can only bond to 1) or the N is bonded to both a H and a CH2, which it can't because it can only accept 3 and is bonded to 2 carbons already.
>>
>>7954858
*caffeine, got them backwards.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.