[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
european comp. sci.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2
File: EU.jpg (117 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
EU.jpg
117 KB, 800x800
CompSci BSC curriculum at a european university

maths courses: (in no particular order)
>course dedicated to revising highschool algebra
>linear algebra (vectors, bases, matrices,determinants,eigenvalues, eigenvectors, gaussian elimination, etc)
>discrete mathematics 1-2 (mostly group theory, graphs, polinomials, basic crypto)
>Analysis 1-3 (limits, differentiation, infinite series, integration, vector calc)
>probability and statistcs
>numericals analysis (matrix decompositions, iterative methods, interpolation, splines)
>differential equations

programming and programming-related courses: (in no particular order)
>introduction to programming
>c++
>ada
>software architecture
>formal languages and automata
>algorithms 1-2 ( data structures, sorting and searching algorithms)
>logics and computing science (first and second order logics, turing machines, space and time complexity)
>functional programming (haskell)
>basics of programming 1-2 (course dedicated to type theory and proof of correctness)
>databases 1-2 (data storage, sql)
>operating systems
>OOP 1-2 (basic oop concepts, Qt, .NET)
>web development(HTML, javascript, basic frontend design)
>web applications(backend and very basic netsec)
>compilers
>introduction to AIs

opinions?
is this less pleb than the stereotypical comp. sci. degree?
>>
>is this less pleb than the stereotypical comp. sci. degree?
Yes. But that doesn't say much, because the stereotypical CS degree is a complete joke, that may not actually exist anywhere on the planet.
>>
>>7949906
As someone who studied CS in Europe, I can tell you this is NOT the typical CS curriculum.
>>
>>7949924
>As someone who studied CS in Europe, I can tell you this is NOT the typical CS curriculum.
How so? It looks quite standard. A bit light perhaps, but nothing out of the ordinary.
>>
>>7949906
HE CALLS ENGINEERING/SCIENCE MATH "ANALYSIS!"
>>
>>7949947
>CS students
>taking 3 analysis courses
Even in math curricula, the third analysis course isn't always mandatory. OP posted his ideal curriculum, defnitely not the standard curriculum of a CS degree.

In standard CS curricula we have at most three math courses:
>calculus + "linear algebra" (how to add vectors and to multiply matrices) in one course
>discrete math (definition of modular arithmetic and basic notions of graphs)
>probability (counting outcomes of random experiments)

Numerical analysis might be an optional course.
>>
>>7949954
>Even in math curricula, the third analysis course isn't always mandatory.
The amount of analysis described by OP is by no means unusual in a computer science degree. Of course, the exact point it's cut up into different courses (and thus the shiny number you can boast) varies.

>OP posted his ideal curriculum, defnitely not the standard curriculum of a CS degree.
Eh? Mine had all this and then some (except for AI, which was sadly missing). And while I think my program was a good one, I can't honestly believe that it was a TOP TIER BEST IN THE WORLD!!1 program.

>In standard CS curricula we have at most three math courses:
Are you generalizing from some particularly shitty curricula perhaps?

>>7949951
Probably he's calling analysis "analysis". It's not uncommon.
>>
>>7949954
OP here, these are all mandatory courses.
>>
Looks standard but...
>web development(HTML, javascript, basic frontend design)
>web applications(backend and very basic netsec)

wtf... how is that even related to compuer science? That is laughable.
>>
>>7949951
We call calculus analysis for some reason.
>>
>>7949972
>The amount of analysis described by OP is by no means unusual in a computer science degree
CS students in general don't learn more about "analysis" than merely a short repetition of high school calculus.

>>7949981
I don't believe you. Post source.
>>
>>7949995
On my university (In europe)
all computer scientists
computer enigneers
Software engineers
and IT-engineers

Has all undergrad maths which our math students take except complex and fourier analysis.
>>
>>7949995
>CS students in general don't learn more about "analysis" than merely a short repetition of high school calculus.
Looks like you are working from a different version of "CS in general" than OP and I are.
>>
>>7949998
Post the university. There is no way a sofware engineer has to take a rigorous anlysis course.
>>
>>7949998
aka the easiest shit
>>
>>7949995
mandatory courses: http://sitbsc.elte.hu/curriculum/courses-f.pdf
the big F means this is for foreign students, they have a slightly different curriculum
read from bottom up

detailed (contains electives too)
http://sitbsc.elte.hu/curriculum/PTI_BSc_accreditation.pdf

also i actually left out "Computer networks" and "Distributed systems", and forgot that Webdevelopment wasn't mandatory
>>
>>7950006
look at >>7950007
These math courses are the really basics of every engineer. All engineers has these courses on our uni and it is an mediocre uni. But keep in mind that most of them fail because it is mandatory (or they suck).

Our fail rate in multivariable analysis (calc 3?) just looking at the IT-seciton varies between 60-70%. Getting a passing grade is easy, (50% to pass).

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=sv&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fliu.se%2Futbildning%2Fprogram%2Fdatateknik%2Fkurser%3Fl%3Dsv
>>
>>7950012
>Hungary
okay then

I was thinking of the islamic parts of Europe where education is pretty much fucked up. But the east is still based, it seems.
>>
>>7950030
Western European to whom this curriculum looks nothing out of the ordinary reporting in.
>>
>>7950030
>education is fucked up
Would not really say that higher level education in sweden is fucked up at all. You are absorbing too much /pol/.
>>
>>7949906
>>course dedicated to revising highschool algebra

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, CS majors
>>
>>7950059
My old university has that on all engineering programs nowadays. They find that they cannot really rely on the necessary high school level of mathematics in first-years, and so added a course to normalize it and make sure all the fundamentals are in order.
>>
>>7949954
In Europe, Calculus is called Analysis.
>>
Math courses at the uni in my city:
>Higher Mathematics I & II
>Analysis I & II
>Linear Algebra I & II
>Analytic Geometry I & II
>Probability Theory & Statistics
>Numerical Analysis

What do you think, /sci/?
>>
>>7950069
>In Europe, Calculus is called Analysis.
No. In Europe, calculus is taught in high school to anyone who even gets admitted into anything like a university engineering program, and so universities teach analysis to undergraduates.
>>
>>7950092
This post doesn't make any sense.
>>
This is literally a math CS dual major, why is OP shitposting.
>>
>>7950101
>This is literally a math CS dual major, why is OP shitposting.
In Europe, we just call those CS programs.
>>
>>7950092
We call it analysis 1.
Browsing /sci/'s calc 1 homeworks I am convinced that their calc 1&2 is our equivalent of our analysis 1&2.

our analysis 1:
Limits, continuity, derivatives of higher orders and function analysis, partial integration, trig integrals, integration by part, substitution, riemann integrals, generalized integral and numerical solving of integrals made out of non-elementary functions. That is like all calc 1 homeworks i have seen here.
>>
>>7950107
Those topics are common in both calculus and analysis courses. The difference is that analysis is the course that develops all that material from first principles and predicate logic (epsilon-delta definitions of limits, optionally Dedekind cuts, continuity as a formal concept, squeeze theorem, and formal proofs all the way), whereas calculus just teaches the practical calculation techniques without bothering with all the underlying infrastructure.
>>
>>7949906

I just read precalc is a requirement for the analysis courses.

There is no way they are that detailed. I mean I'm sure there are some baby proofs but I seriously doubt the intellectual difficulty of them.
>>
>>7950120
Squeeze theorem nor epsilon delta definition?
Ok, thanks for clarifying the difference and desu, perhaps an engineer can do fine without getting into that.
>>
>>7950129
>perhaps an engineer can do fine without getting into that.
They can, if they must. Still, analysis WAS a mandatory topic on my (western European) computer science program, and I fully believe that OP's curriculum actually contains analysis 1-3.
>>
Lol europs did you see what happened this morning
You reap what you sow
>>
Mandatory up to analysis 3 here at EPFL in switzerland. Analysis 4 is optional
>>
>>7950101
only BA-s have the major+minor system here afaik.
a bsc/ba is 180 credits min., 6 semesters ( sometimes more if you have to retake classes)
(140 credits of compulsoryclasses, 30 credits thesis, 10 credits electives for a BSC
120 credits major, 50 credits minor, 10 credits electives )
msc is 4 semesters and 80 credits min.
a credit is defined as [ (estimated number of workhours required to learn the subject) *30 ]. This contains lecture + practice at the university, and studying at home.

>>7950121
analysis 1 requirements: 2 "practical exams", need to have minimum 30% to pass
you need to pass both to be able to take the "theoretical exam" whis is theorems, definitions, and proofs. you are given 15 questions (in the from of "define x" or "what does the theory about Y say), and 2 theories to prove. You have to be able to answer at least 8 questions, and prove at least 1 of the theories (with 0 errors) to pass.

most of the proofs required (in hungarian)
http://www.baloghtamas.hu/download/anal1_bizonyitasok.pdf
two of these will be asked at random (usually the longer ones, never the oneliners)

all the "questions" (in hungarian)
https://ik.ehog.hu/_files/Anal1_Simon/kerdesek_2015_osz.pdf
15 of these will be asked at random

analysis 2-3 are similar.
>>
>>7950210
120 credits major, 50 credits minor, 10 credits electives for a BA
>>
>>7950210
you mean
[ (estimated number of workhours required to learn the subject) / 30 ] right?
>>
>>7950158
Dunno what happened, but it must have been something nice, because the people in the refugee camp near my house were celebrating all day. It makes me happy to see these poor guys being so euphoric for the first time.
>>
>>7950234
bombings in Brussels.
>>
>>7950239
autisms
>>
>>7949909
You're memeing pretty hard there buddy.
>>
>>7950246
memes
>>
>>7950210

Baby advanced calc problems, it's good to know but it's not really math major level.
>>
>>7949906

Looks pretty standard for north american CS math/cs courses for a CS degree, although that's assuming by analysis you mean calculus, and aren't doing legitimate extremely rigorous proof-heavy analysis courses. The topics there look like calc1-3 though, not analysis.
>>
>>7950345
"Calculus" and "Analysis" is used interchangedly around here. The Deparment of Numerical Analysis (who host the 4 analysis courses and the numeral analysis courses) say it should be called "Analysis", while the [spoiler]exact same[/spoiler] subject with the same layout and learning material is called "Calculus" for those attending a Maths or Physics major.

>and aren't doing legitimate extremely rigorous proof-heavy analysis courses
Not sure how heavy it is around here. Exam looks something like this:
- 15 definitions/theorems/small identity rules
- 2 theorems AND proof. One must be pristine to get a non-failure mark.
All from heart, no exceptions, closed books. And if the teachers get their nose further up their bottoms than it already is, missing up a comma or using a different notation for a totally trivial variable makes you fail the subject.
Pass ratio is around 30 out of 150 for one exam.

(And worst of all, 'cause I'm attending the same university as OP, they are now rolling out compulsory attendance for every lecture whatsoever. Yet again, no exceptions, unless the Prof hands in a request and the Head Committe declares an exception. For all lectures, even the most shittiest ones.)
>>
>>7950393
>All from heart, no exceptions, closed books. And if the teachers get their nose further up their bottoms than it already is, missing up a comma or using a different notation for a totally trivial variable makes you fail the subject.
Pass ratio is around 30 out of 150 for one exam.

That sounds retarded. Why would they want you to memorize it word for word, rather than be able to understand it and prove it using your own words? That sounds like something you'd see in some other department, but not a math department.

>they are now rolling out compulsory attendance for every lecture whatsoever.

It sounds like they're babysitting you guys and making you do rote memorization, rather than treating you like adults and making you do mathematics.
>>
>>7950101
>math major

>no topology
>no real analysis
>no complex analysis
>no linear space theory
>no abstract algebra
>no PDEs

Yeah, no. Minor maybe but no where near a major.
>>
>>7950393
OP here
>compulsory attendance
seriously?
good thing I already graduated...
>>
>>7950449
Good for you. They developed / are developing by studenst, a digital system that tracks attendance of lectures.
>>
>>7950012
üdv magyarfag.
>>
>>7950766

It's hunfag te faggot...
>>
there is some confusion but european analysis isn't american calculus

At least I doubt that calculus 1 covers epsilon-delta, proofs of Cauchy sequences, proving things form completeness axiom etc.

Analysis 3 is topology of R^n.

That being said, undergrad analysis should not be confused to Real Analysis, as in grad analysis.
>>
>>7950766
>>7951115
>>
>>7951157

We just call it "honors calculus" or "calculus with theory". Same shit
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.