[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /sci/ In my native language, there is oddly no difference
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 300x168
Hello /sci/
In my native language, there is oddly no difference between "calculus" and "mathematical analysis"
That is my question (yes its dumb)
What is analysis? How would you compare it to calculus? Is there significant overlap?

Pic untelated
>>
>>7947019
Calculus is the high school version of analysis, i.e. some quick handwavy explanation of what a derivative and an integral are and then doing lots of exercises using algebraic rules of differentiation and integration. Analysis is about rigorously proving all this shit and recognizing general underlying principles.
>>
>>7947024

Then why is it that math majors even take calculus? Shouldnt they learn about everything in calculous through analysis?
>>
There is no difference really. Calculus is just practical application of analysis.
>>
>>7947019
If I remember WIkipedia well enough without going to look it up again: Calculus is the study of change, and Analysis is the study of functions & limits.
>>
>>7947028
It gives us the freedom to take classes such as ODE, PDE, or classes outside of our major that utilize basic calculus early on
>>
>>7947028

They should but cucks like >>7947036 on both the educator and student sides keep our mathematical education nice and restrained.

>yfw USSR nations used to teach analysis instead of calculus to freshmen
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.