[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1. What purpose does the field of mathematics serve to the public?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
1. What purpose does the field of mathematics serve to the public?

2. What benefit do you get out of studying mathematics that you otherwise would not have?
>>
>>7943433
>What purpose does the field of mathematics serve to the public?
Almost nothing, philosophy is what build democracy, empires, armies, etc
>What benefit do you get out of studying mathematics that you otherwise would not have?
Having to memorize a lot of equations that you will never use is good for memorizing stuff that you will use
>>
>>7943433
1. Math "trickles down", corollaries fall through from pure to applied and from applied to natural sciences, eventually becoming tools for use in physics, biology, engineering, chemistry, etc.

2. Math is like an art. Keeps the brain sharp, and allows me to explore a highly technical creative activity which I enjoy.
>>
>>7943433
>1.
Literally everything.

>2.
I just find it interesting.
>>
>>7943437
>equations
>mathematics
Gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>7943433
>1. What purpose does the field of mathematics serve to the public?

its used as a tool to describe and predict how certain things work.

2. What benefit do you get out of studying mathematics that you otherwise would not have?

it enhances your quantitative reasoning skills.
>>
math is a tool real scientist use to bring progress to this shitty world
>>
>>7943454
I'm not
>>
Usually, in stuff like physics, the physicists discover any important mathematics they need before the mathematicians. Just look at Newton, he discovered calculus when he needed it, long before the mathematicians were satisfied with how "rigorous" it was.
>>
>>7943517
"discovering" some unrigorous, contradictory, weak mess is not the same as developing analysis
>>
>>7943530
If you think the work of real-life mathematicians looks like the sterile stuff you see in books, you are going to be disappointed
>>
>>7943542
>you disagree with me so you must not know anything about real math!
kill yourself desu
>>
>>7943530
As if the mathematicians made anything more "rigorous" than what Newton had conjured. Mathematicians just wanted credit for it despite how many contradictions pop up in Analysis.
>>
>>7943555
But it's true though, the fact that it was made clearer does not take anything back from Newton's achievement.
Also, what I mean is that math does not naturally develop in the canonical "definition - lemma - theorem - corollary" form. Most math is ugly when it first appears and many people rely on intuitive stuff they cannot always prove when they work. Heuristics is a very important part of the actual work and often (not always, I agree) turns out to have some interesting meaning (for example, Newton discovered asymptotic expansions by doing polynomial divisions in reverse order).
Now, of course, thanks to the standards of rigour we now have, heuristics can not get published, but that does not mean that it has no place or value in math.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.