[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've come to except that there's a relationship between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 3232222.jpg (6 KB, 166x200) Image search: [Google]
3232222.jpg
6 KB, 166x200
I've come to except that there's a relationship between high iq and academic achivement, i used to think if you worked hard enough you could surpass someone with a higher IQ, but I've come to realize that this is equivalent to saying you can surpass someone that's taller than you in height if you work hard enough.
>>
>>7941132
accept*
>>
>>7941132
>that this is equivalent to saying you can surpass someone that's taller than you in height if you work hard enough.

No it isn't. You're comparing two entirely different categories.
>>
>>7941132
There's a minimum requirement. You can't be mentally challenged and getting a PhD.
But many below-average intelligent people have no only survived, but succeeded and flourished in the academic environment.

You're not going to get a nobel price, and you probably won't hold a seat at MIT, but you might become a professor or a well known publisher. You can have all the citation (You)s you want.

You probably can do it. But also keep in mind that you don't have anything to prove. If you don't enjoy it, you can do something else.
>>
>>7941139
Instead of saying i'm wrong it would be nice if you explained why in more detail, so we can all become a little bit smarter.
>>
>>7941138
Bravo
>>
>>7941152
why should he bother? Can't you see the difference? If not, you might in fact have no chance of succeeding.
>>
>>7941156
There's a correlation between height and genes just as there's a correlation between intelligence and genes, they are both heritable to a large degree so i think the comparison is reasonable in the sense that it is possible to be short achieve great things in an environment where height is an important thing, it doesn't change the fact that taller people will generally tend to do better in this environment.
>>
>>7941168
And* Intelligence is important to academic achievement, so i think it would be reasonable to say that a high IQ correlates whit more academic achievement despite the fact that it is possible to high high academic achievement with a low IQ.
>>
>>7941152
Growth plates close, preventing you from growing taller, after the age of 21 in most That's it, they're closed.

The brain's adapting, and reconfiguring itself, all throughout a person's life (dependent of various environmental conditions -> conditioning

People can also grow new neurons throughout their entire lives. Exercise causes neurogenesis in the visual and auditory cortices, as well as in the hippocampus where our memories're formed.

There's also something called BDNF which low calorie dieting can help in an abundant production of.
>>
>>7941132
Have you, uh, considered that despite not being born with talent you can still have a better life by working towards it?
>>
>>7941173
Have*
>>
>>7941168
Environmental factors (food, mostly) still influence the activation of particular genes. Like intelligence.
>>
>>7941168
That's probably the dumbest thing on /sci/ today.
>>
>>7941175
Yes, i already said it was possible in one of the above posts.
>>
>>7941174
Don't eat carbs if you want a lot of BDNF.

Eat plants daily. There's a lot of antioxidants in those
>>
>>7941181
Can you please explain why it's so dumb?
>>
>>7941186
You're too dumb to understand. Just give up.
>>
>>7941174
The brain also becomes fully developed, it's harder to learn a new language as an adult than as a child, can't this be compared to growth plates closing in a way? epigenetics doesn't change your genes, it may change the way they're expressed, but i don't see how epigenetics refutes the fact that a high IQ is correlated to more academic success.
>>
>>7941191
I made this thread in the hopes that someone would prove that the correlation between IQ and academic success is false and give me hope. If you don't want to bother explain why, at least link me to a paper that demonstrates there is no correlation.
>>
Have you all taken IQ tests? Like, the Mensa one? It's talked about so often on here. I have no idea what my IQ is and I like to imagine it's real low so everything I do is an accomplishment.
>>
>>7941203
Well, your first piece of advice is to stop being so concerned over how we measure our brain penis and start doing something that is important to you that will make you money.

Not everyone should be an engineer, but anyone could.
>>
>>7941132

The correct analogy is that you can surpass someone taller than you at basketball if you work much harder than they do.

You don't need to be brilliant to understand mathematics. It's easier, but it isn't critical.

If you want to get a math phd from harvard, then yes, you need to be brilliant. But if you want to find a solid career in the stem field, all you need is moderate intelligence and a good work ethic.

Trust me, I know kids with way less aptitude than I who have gone farther than me in both academia and the professional world because they were much harder workers.
>>
>>7941203

IQ is one factor, of many, which correlate with academic success. There are external factors like luck, money and contacts that we cannot take into consideration.

It is possible to have academic success if other factors are positive, if your IQ is within certain treshold.

There are many types of intelligences. It is possible that you might have a shitty IQ because some of your intelligences might be awful, but this means that you have to find a career that plays to the intelligences that you have the most of. Not all intelligences are academically viable however.

IQ is best imagined as an efficiency quotient. If your IQ is low you need to put in more effort. But effort is not unlimited, and if your IQ is too poor, you risk ending up being a mediocre tryhard. The more IQ you have, the least effort you need, so your energy is used more efficiently and you get more results more quickly.

So, instead of thinking about IQ, what you need to find is what type of intelligence "branch" you're good at. In layman's terms, this is to find your talent. Once you've identified that, find out where you can study and develop it, and how to monetize it.
>>
>>7941228
This is equivalent to saying " just be yourself"
>>
>>7941252
i think "be the best 'you' possible" is more accurate
>>
>>7941132
>tfw 155 iq and suffer from ADHD
>the only thing i can concentrate on is math
>everything else is extremely hard to keep track of for more than a few minutes
>only feel like myself while studying math
>make As in all STEM classes, but Cs in general education courses
>girlfriend helps me to remember to buy groceries, pay bills, do normal human things
>barely functional on my own, don't even know how/why she helps

stop shitting around about IQ stuff. your IQ can be super high and life is still hard to do. i've met a lot of high-iq people who have a hard time outside of their subject/field. OP should feel glad that he can at least function properly without outside help

>most top students I know heavily depend on their friends for normal day-to-day tasks
its true OP. true.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.