[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know what youtube video this webm came from? Or at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 5 water wave.webm (2 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
5 water wave.webm
2 MB, 480x320
Does anyone know what youtube video this webm came from?
Or at least know what sort of physics is occurring to the water here? Googling fluid dynamics videos didn't help
>>
>>7940265
Waves in an open channel?
I can't open webms so guessing it might be interference
>>
>>7940265

It looks like a regular wave, that just happens to be contained in a narrow trough.
>>
>>7940265
1D transverse waves
>>
The video is from the new Dutch wave simulator. Just google that. Its the largest Tsunami wave simulation created by mankind. (ooooooh !!!! )
>>
>>7940265
I think it is the Delta Flume, I remember reading about it a while ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34151723

and the full youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMyftvliUgg
>>
>>7940395
>largest
It's like we're not even trying

God +1
>>
File: Delta Flume.png (1 MB, 1138x580) Image search: [Google]
Delta Flume.png
1 MB, 1138x580
>>7940265
>>7940395
>>7940398

Pretty cool if you ask me.
>>
From what I saw in the video, the wave breaks because its top falls away from its base. But what makes the wave go faster at its top than at its base in the first place? I never saw this at my optics class. Or mechanics, differential equations, etc.
>>
>>7940889

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_wave

>The most generally familiar sort of breaking wave is the breaking of water surface waves on a coastline. Because of the horizontal component of the fluid velocity associated with the wave motion, wave crests steepen as the amplitude increases; wave breaking generally occurs where the amplitude reaches the point that the crest of the wave actually overturns—though the types of breaking water surface waves are discussed in more detail below
>>
>>7940265
step1: nonlinear interactions create wave-wave coupling

step2: because energy is transferred across wavelength-space, at some point wave steepening occurs

step3: ???

step4: profit, I mean wave-breaking
>>
>>7940997
sorry I forgot to add buzzwords:

* it's a shallow-water system, which is a specialized version of the equations of stratified fluid dynamics
* one famous example of equations describing very steep shallow-water wave-crests is the Korteveeg-de-Vries equation, which can be derived from the shallow-water system.
* KdV solutions are, amongst others, Solitons. Those are pretty nice waves where the steepening due to nonlinearity is balanced with dispersion of single-wave modes.

I hope those buzzwords satisfy your lust for advanced fluid-dynamics.
>>
>>7940398
Op here
You're a legend. Cheers
>>
>>7941007
yep, pretty much.
also, look at how the taller soliton overcomes the smaller one, in agreement with the fact that the soliton's speed is proportional to its amplitude. I wonder what is the physical reason for wave breakig here and why doesn't dispersion create a train of regressing solitons before you reach gradient catastrophe.
>>
File: kdv-merge-split.gif (976 KB, 750x300) Image search: [Google]
kdv-merge-split.gif
976 KB, 750x300
>>7942240
>>
>>7940275
Hey! That was MY laugh. GIVE IT BACK!
>>
>>7941007
>korteveeg
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.