[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WELP. BD to be sold.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/google-puts-boston-dynamics-up-for-sale/

>Though the video amassed 14 million views and a number of ecstatic tech articles drooling over the possibilities, Google remained uncomfortable with the future of Boston Dynamics. According to more emails made public, Google had serious concerns about the company’s affiliation with Alphabet and instead desired to move away from the group.

>“There’s excitement from the tech press, but we’re also starting to see some negative threads about it being terrifying, ready to take humans’ jobs,” wrote Courtney Hohne, Google’s director of communications. “We’re not going to comment on this video because there’s not a whole lot we can add, and we don’t want to answer most of the Qs it triggers.”

>In the same note, Hohne advised those she was communicating with to “distance X from this video,” and cited an unwillingness to start a new “media cycle” on BD’s involvement with Google. So while people may have joked about how Boston Dynamics’ mistreatment of the robot could spark a robotic uprising, it seems Google took that response to heart and decided to take Google X in a different direction.

All those fags saying "HURR SKYNET" and "OMG SCARY" may have just fucked robotics for the next 10 years.
>>
>>7939124
Orrrrrr Google just scalped all of the info it could from BD and are making a smart business move to sell BD while they are very much in the public light for this video. Now Google will just go and make their own robotos while making a pretty tidy profit on their brief ownership of BD.
>>
>>7939124
>people are getting too aware
>we're gonna do this stuff in private instead
>>
>implying Google isn't working on this shit in the shadows
BD is a diversion.
>>
>>7939124
>And nothing of value was lost.
>>
I think there's a certain amount of spergy cluelessness in Boston Dynamics, and the disturbing aspects of their latest video were just the straw that broke the camel's back.

The Marines tested BigDog and didn't want it, mostly for being way too fucking noisy.

They've been showing off BigDog for over ten years, and the company has been around for 24 years, and they have yet to produce a single viable product for practical use.

Boston Dynamics is a company that sucks up development funding and makes meme videos.
>>
>>7939231
marines were fucking idiots tho, and BD should have just insisted that it wasn't retard marines testing their product

The marines go "it's too noisy"
They go "We have a quieter version, just test everything else"
and then marines go "Its too noisy, we don't want it"
>>
>>7939239
>Keep on memein'
>>
File: FrnZA3E9ph-10[1].png (113 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
FrnZA3E9ph-10[1].png
113 KB, 300x250
All my fantasies about Skynet and Mechapocalypse have just been thrown into the trash ;_;
>>
>>7939124
>Sensationalist media clickbait.

Thanks, OP, I hadn't had my dial dose of rage.
>>
>skynet cancelled
Hell no, they literally just demoed a freestanding, self-balancing bipedal robot a month after the DARPA challenge blooper showed everyone else on Earth failing to do the same. Baidu or someone else is going to snatch this up and make a bazillion buckeroos and Google will cry quietly.

Except yeah >>7939159 >>7939173 they already have DeepMind working on robots.
>>
SAD
>>
>>7939239
It's a product of very questionable utility in the first place: a mechanically-complicated, fuel-dependent mule substitute.

>They go "We have a quieter version, just test everything else"
They didn't, though, not with equivalent function. With the power-to-weight requirements and hydraulics, they had to put something like a lawnmower engine on it. Making it quiet would add a lot of weight, reducing its capabilities.

The much wimpier all-electric version's pretty loud, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YjvHYbZ9w
>>
File: image1.jpg (34 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
34 KB, 225x225
I'm so happy. I can't believe this is happening.

>singularity delayed by at least several months
>Google won't dominate the field of robotics
>other robotics startups will now be viable
>Google robots won't be physically present on the streets in a few years
>still enough time to get a second degree and hop on the AI train

Unless something scary happens, like people figuring out where they should actually aim their research funds, we're all good for now. Unless they just stripped Boston Dynamics of it's patents and personnel, only to continue development underground to avoid "muh singularity" fags.
>>
>>7939273
>Hell no, they literally just demoed a freestanding, self-balancing bipedal robot a month after the DARPA challenge blooper showed everyone else on Earth failing to do the same.

A video demo means nothing, they can do the same demo as many times as they and only show the ones that succeeded.

The DARPA challenge was different. That was live and subject to DARPA's restrictions. They could bot edit out the bloopers for that.

The challenge was back in june, it has been more than a month.

Good riddance to boston dynamics, it was fucking disappointing they never used SCHAFT's electric actuators, because muh hydraulics. Would have solved the noise problems and more.

>>7939231
This.
>>
>>7939273
>they already have DeepMind working on robots.

Got any references to back that up?
>>
>>7939445
Here you go
http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/03/deep-learning-for-robots-robotic-arms.html?m=1
>>
>>7939147

I mean pretty much this, BD probably owns a bunch of fabrication machines and testing equipment but the intellectual property of the robot is really just a few gigs of CAD files that i'm sure every employee took home on a DVDR a long time ago.
>>
/diy/ here

If you're into applied robotics look at Caterpillar. They've been actually making full auto mining bots and selling them (mostly to mine gold and coal in africa). BD makes cool things but companies prefer wheels and treads to legs.
>>
>>7939147

.....but why not keep BD around so they can refine the things they make? It's much cheaper and they can continue to profit off royalties of BD products.

Also if rumors are true Replicant (Alphabet's robotics division) might be downsizing/having layoffs soon.
>>
File: 1429586615685.gif (3 MB, 263x150) Image search: [Google]
1429586615685.gif
3 MB, 263x150
>>7939713
top kek
"r&d"
here is the 411, THEY HAVE NO R&D.
all their "science" were cocktail science, if you don't know what that is, welcome to the real world kid.
>>
>>7939297

startups a shit, robotics are dominated by Rockwell, KUKA and ABB. While Google is trying to figure out how to do autodrive cars on roads, Caterpillar and John Deere have been doing it for a decade in mines and farms across the world
>>
>>7939124
This seems to be more about their image than anything.
>>
>>7939713
http://www.techinsider.io/whats-going-on-with-google-robotics-2015-11
>>
File: wh40k1342111384753.jpg (208 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
wh40k1342111384753.jpg
208 KB, 546x700
>>7939124
Just put some cameras and a GPS on that thing and send it out to scout shopping malls and themeparks!

I thought this was Googles original plan for these things?
>>
>>7939286

How come Tesla can run sports cars way quieter
>>
>>7940195
Maybe beacuse an electric drive train just needs a single moving part?
>>
>>7940287

The noise comes from the lawnmower engine

Tesla have a fucking car engine that is way quieter
>>
There's goes my dream job...

Does this mean I should jump off the EE train?
>>
>>7940315
Stop being stupid!
The Atlas 2.0 from OP's post runs with electrically powered hydraulics and servos.
>>
>>7940340
No.
It just means that Google has no one with a vision like Andy Rubin.
>>
>>7940367
This.

Seems like BD are going to be sold to Amazon, which would explain why their latest video of box handling.

Also the article posted here >>7939973 seems to make that plenty clear. Besides, lot of the robotic companies bought by Google seem to be upset that they cannot participate in DARPA projects anymore.
>>
>>7940340
>studying a major because you want to end up at one particular company
>discarding a major because that particular company is no longer viable to work in
how does it feel being a complete fucking retard?
>>
>>7939654
Why did you paste some shitty blog instead of original source? http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2016/03/deep-learning-for-robots-learning-from.html
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.