[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
aight /sci/ Comp sci PhD student here. I'm going to a conference
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1458073057164.png (77 KB, 694x801) Image search: [Google]
1458073057164.png
77 KB, 694x801
aight /sci/

Comp sci PhD student here. I'm going to a conference in a couple of months to show a paper I wrote, but I was asked to put together a "technical poster" for some workshop the University is hosting beforehand.

Never done a "technical poster" before. Got any tips for software to use before I make something mediocre in powerpoint?

Ideally I'd like something that lets me show process flows clearly.
>>
photoshop
>>
>>7936047
It's about how you use it and not what software you use.

If you're one of the special ones that think red on black and yellow on white are good design choices then pirate and read one of these books:
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Universal_Material#Presentations
>>
i usually prep mine in inkscape
>>
There are many workshops you can pickup. Powerpoint clones should be good enough.
>>
>>7936047
whats wrong with powerpoint? its a fucking poster. the content is whats important
>>
>>7938610
The lack of any font anti-aliasing makes text look like shit.
>>
>>7936469
Where did you learn inkscape? I've used tiny bits of the program but it's still largely a black box for me.
>>
>>7939017
Just use the tutorial in the help menu, it's actually the best resource to learn how to use it.
>>
>>7939027
Thanks. I'll do that.
>>
>>7938873
lol what are you a graphic arts major? it looks fucking fine
>>
http://www.latextemplates.com/cat/conference-posters looks professional
>>
>>7939608
No, I'm just not a sloppy ass bitch that can't even make a good looking poster. Your potential employers will judge you based on the quality of your work.
>>
You can use Beamer instead of PowerPoint if you're LaTeX friendly
>>
>>7936047
Use latex but not google around for a beamer alternative because beamer is repetitive and overused.

Since you're a comp sci phd, you obviously know latex.
>>
>>7940214
>google around for a beamer alternative because beamer is repetitive and overused.
Why does that matter?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.