[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any of you used your knowledge of math and/or science in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault.jpg (347 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
347 KB, 1920x1080
Have any of you used your knowledge of math and/or science in a casual setting that didn't involve money, your job, or cooking?
>>
>>7931869
Yes
>>
>or cooking

got me there.

I use alot of my chemistry knowledge and rudimentary physics knowledge in food preparation.

See >>7931785.

I've also used my chem knowledge to make the most grade A brownies. Again, cooking, but yeah.
>>
>>7931869
I played around with using Markov chains for stochastic melody generation. Used some of the melodies on an album I'm working in.
>>
>>7931869
I use trig in video games a lot.
>>
>>7931884

>all this time being told "snipers actually use alot of trig determining exactly how to aim long distance shots"
>friend actually becomes scout sniper in the US Army
>ask him about this claim
>lol no we don't use fucking trigonometry.

No saying they don't have to have skills in compensating for all of the physical forces in effect, but to think all snipers see triangles, angles in vectors when looking down a scope is bananas.

>mfw I wass stupid enough to believe it
>>
File: projecting.jpg (15 KB, 272x185) Image search: [Google]
projecting.jpg
15 KB, 272x185
>>7931891
>>
>>7931911

what am I projecting?

>911 get tho
>>
>>7931884
In what way and for what purpose?

>>7931869
Yes.
>>
File: giphy 2.gif (1 MB, 538x302) Image search: [Google]
giphy 2.gif
1 MB, 538x302
>>7931869
Excruciatingly rarely

>>7931884
Nigga doing what?
>Be anon
>Sniping in BF4
>Grab calculator and paper
>Try and use mathematics to do long range shot
>While doing this enemy takes 2 pot shots
>third shot is right on target
>TFW Only halfway through muh calculations
>>
>>7931877
Lol I'm pretty sure OP meant "cooking" as in making meth.
>>
>>7931869
>math

Every time I go shopping.

>science

Every time I flush the toilet.
>>
>>7931967

who is this semen demon?
>>
File: rwby7.gif (719 KB, 292x365) Image search: [Google]
rwby7.gif
719 KB, 292x365
>>7931979
Ruby Rose from RWBY
>>
>>7931967
>tfw trying to target coords 2km away in Arma games using artillery & maths without the artillery computer

Mortars are a pain too when you can't see the target.
>>
I think geometry has helped me be confident in my ability to draw (I still can't draw faces for shit but I can draw backgrounds)
>>
>>7931869
Biochemistry and Biology whenever I'm awake
>>
>>7931891
Maybe it's the tools they use that has trigonometric scales on them. Maybe the snipers don't use trigonometry in their heads becaust the gun manufacturers already made the tools to do the thinking for the snipers. Not saying that that is the case, because I don't know shit about guns, but ask your friend if there are any such numbering scales written on their scopes, tripods, etc.
>>
Structured my decking in the back garden around the golden ratio. Though thats just common sense really.
>>
Sure I do. Doing fermi estimates around people who aren't good at math impresses them
>>
>>7931882

I thought of something along this line when I first learned marcov chains. How were the results?
>>
>>7931869
I used it just now to figure out that I van actually move my femur ballsocket out of my pelvic joint and back in
>>
>>7931877

>cooking
>"muh chillis"

new
>>
>>7931869
Yes. I'm building a nudity detection algorithm.
>>
>>7931882
Can you describe your algorithm? I'm imagining a Markov decision process making decisions about what should be played next.

Or is it more like a rolling n-gram?
>>
>>7931869
When I'm working on my thesis
>rekt
>>
>>7931869
I am neet, and poor, and I don't cook.
So pretty much all the time
>>
>>7932471
The mil dots are exactly for that. Estimate the height of the target, use mil dots, get distance. Thats trigonometry, of course that doesnt mean they do calculations. Its experience i assume.
>>
File: cook.png (37 KB, 375x360) Image search: [Google]
cook.png
37 KB, 375x360
>>7931972
Well yeah this is /sci/, what the fuck did anons think I meant?
>>
>>7931994
>implying mortars ever see a target instead of blanketing whatever the fuck is front of them
>>
>>7933616
>or artie same shit, longer range
>>
File: DSCN1718.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1718.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
Genetics when I see a female pic related.
>who's who???
>>
File: Windage chart.jpg (27 KB, 504x361) Image search: [Google]
Windage chart.jpg
27 KB, 504x361
>>7931891
>friend actually becomes scout sniper in the US Army
First off, Scout Snipers are USMC, not Army. Your friend is full of shit. Secondly, every motherfucker who ever was issued an M14 or any other DMR in the military calls himself a "sniper" to civilians; that still doesn't put them in the same league as two-man sniper teams with a dedicated .338LM sniper rifle, spotting scope, anemometer and laser rangefinder squeezing off shots from over 1000m.
But even they aren't using proper trig with sines and cosines, and they're certainly not sitting out there in the field with a notepad and Ti-89 cranking through ballistics differential equations. Realistically, at most they do basic mental math using simple (small-angle) approximations and rules of thumb (i.e. 1 mil = 10cm @ 100 yd), and for anything more intense than that they go to the charts.
>>7932471
>>7933608
Yes, that too. Some sights offer entirely graphical means of rangefinding (and possibly even BDC; see the ACOG reticle's "put the closest bar across the target's shoulders to find the proper elevation"), some iron sights have detented elevation adjustments for various ranges; and many high-power optics simply feature mil dots in the reticle leaving the marksman to do his own math.
>>
>>7931869
Fuck yeah fool, that is what its for. Science teaches you to reason
>>
>>7931877
How do you use physics for cooking? What kind of physics are we talking about here
>>
>study cynematics
>spend DAYS calculating shit in One Piece, Star Wars and other basic stuff I used to read and watch when I was 16
>tfw converting how many boiler can Anakin Skywalker power
>turns out it's around 5-6

That's it...
>>
>>7931967
Are ya thick? Trial and error is the best way to snipe in battlefield. I look at landmarks that have a set distance and zero out my scope 1300 yards out
>>
>>7932428
Me too, very admirable anon
>>
>>7933608
>of course that doesnt mean they do calculations. Its experience i assume.
Yeah, I was thinking that maybe people originally were talking about the tools, but as the fact spread, it got exaggerated and sensationalized like so many things do.
>>
>>7933695

>what is the 179th infantry
>>
in graphic design math saves you shittons of work
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.