[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If light cannot escape from a black hole then how does gravity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_nx5wvqPhff1s5mgubo1_540.gif (1 MB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx5wvqPhff1s5mgubo1_540.gif
1 MB, 540x300
If light cannot escape from a black hole then how does gravity considering it has the same speed as light?
>>
>>7931713
I just realized I know no physics.
>>
>>7931713
Perhaps you can think of it as the deformation of space propagating out at the speed of light.
>>
>>7931713

Gravity in the case of a black hole is the hole itself. A hole cannot escape from a hole.
>>
>>7931713
Wait... Gravitational waves must be unaffected by gravity right?
>>
File: 798.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306 KB, 593x540
>>7931736
>>7931741

>mfw these noFTLers will literally come up with any bullshit to defend the speed of light limit.
>>
>>7931713
gravity is already outside the blackhole, it's everywhere.
>>
There is a theory that Gravity is made out of Gravitons. Thats a subatomic particle, a boson. And here we enter the field of QM. QM and General Relativity don't go along, because General Relativity explains how "big objects" work and QM explains how subatomic particles behave. Light is made out of Photons, the bosons that carry the electromagnetic force. Photons are affected by gravity and that's why light can't escape a black hole when it reaches the event horizon (once you go black, you never go back). Now, you need to imagine gravity (and space in general) as a 2D grid. When you put objects (celestial bodies f.e.) on the grids it goes down. The heavier the object is the more it bends this grid. Black hole have infinite density so the grid goes down aloooooooooot. Now imagine that as a pool. The black hole is the "cork" of the pool. It is open. THe water keeps going down this cork and the more water goes in the more water it sucks. Until it reaches a point where it starts giving water back and slowly loosing it's mass until it becomes just a regular dead star. The process of giving "matter" back is called Hawking Radiation. So yeah, I hope you got your answers.
>>
>>7931713
>anti-matter
>blackholes
>schrodinger's cat
>time dilation
>multi-dimensions
>string theory
>flat earth
>FTL
>strong AI

>>>/x/
>>
>>7931799
nope
>>>/sci/
>>
>>7931775
>rubber sheet analogy
I don't buy this and never will.
>>
>>7931799
>anti-matter
nothing /x/ about this
basically just matter with opposite charge
already used in PET scans (positron emission tomography)
>black holes
all evidence points towards them being real
what's definitely real is that there are extremely dense objects out there that do not behave like other objects, and all evidence points towards them being black spheres
>schrodinger's cat
/x/
>time dilation
trivial
GPS satellites have to account for time dilation because of their great speed relative to us
>multi-dimensions
/x/
>string theory
/x/
>flat earth
/x/
>FTL
/x/
>strong AI
maybe a century from now
>>
>>7931813
>>schrodinger's cat
>/x/
:^)
>>
>>7931819
schrodinger's cat is shit only a mentally handicapped manchild from /x/ would talk about
>>
>>7931821
It's a thought experiment.
>>
Black holes don't exist
>>
>>7931827
It's not.
>>
>>7931867
What is it then?

"Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment, sometimes described as a paradox, devised by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935.[1] It illustrates what he saw as the problem of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics applied to everyday objects. The scenario presents a cat that may be simultaneously both alive and dead,[2][3][4][5][6][7][8] a state known as a quantum superposition, as a result of being linked to a random subatomic event that may or may not occur. The thought experiment is also often featured in theoretical discussions of the interpretations of quantum mechanics. Schrödinger coined the term Verschränkung (entanglement) in the course of developing the thought experiment."
Straight outta Wikipedia.
>>
>>7931713
I generally hate animu posters, but I just can't force myself to dislike OPM.
>>
>>7931897
that's because normalfags infiltrated it. manga is better anyway.

in any case i'm pretty sure that the gravitational field of a black hole isn't influenced by itself. you need two bodies for a fundamental interaction to take place.
>>
>>7931906
>manga is better anyway.
Explain how. The anime follows the paneling, the art is not noticeably worse, there no scenes cut (in fact there are new ones added) and the high budget animation is awesome. Your hipster ass is just desperately looking for something to act superior about without having to say you dislike the series now.
>>
>>7931713
>>7931746
Take your pedophile cartoons back to >>>/a/.

>>7932000
What does this post have to do with science?
>>
>>7932004
>>
>>7932014
>>
>>7931713
it doesn't
>>
>>7931867
Yes. It is.
>>
>>7932000
This. The manga is identical and OPM is one of the only good anime
>>
>>7931713
Gravity is a warping of space time.
>>
>>7931713
A black hole is just a near perfect sphere in spacetime
>>
>>7931746
WTF are you talking about?
>>
Gravitational wave are created outside the event horizon because you need a changing mass quadrupole moment to do that, and this does not exist within the event horizon.

Gravity itself is not something that escapes anything. It's a property of the space around an object.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.