[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decimals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: decimals_and_fractions.png (51 KB, 450x221) Image search: [Google]
decimals_and_fractions.png
51 KB, 450x221
How do you read the decimal number:
>3.14
Is it
a) Three point one four
b) Three point fourteen

Why are my professors using b) instead of a) , and are they retarded?
>>
glad to see mom and dads tuition money going to good use
>>
>>7930841
Mom and Dad said that this is the best way to get job security.

Why would Mom and Dad lie?
>>
If I can express it in fractions I always do.
>>
It's a), and anyone who says otherwise is a fucking pleb
>>
File: decimalrepresentation.jpg (7 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
decimalrepresentation.jpg
7 KB, 400x200
>>7930901
precisely.
>>
>>7930839
They are retarded. Nobody says the second one. What if you had a really long number after the decimal? I can't imagine anyone saying "three point one million four hundred fifteen thousand nine hundred and twenty six" instead of "three point one four one five nine two six"
>>
>>7930839
They're saying it that way because tomorrow is pi day. 3/14

>Eurofags can't celebrate pi day with their retarded date syntax.
>>
Say it the however the fuck you want, smart people catch what you mean and won't stick to it if you did'nt say it the way they say it
>>
>>7930913
>They're saying it that way because tomorrow is pi day. 3/14

can't be real, oh wait it is.

>Pi Day is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant π (pi). Pi Day is observed on March 14 (3/14 in the month/day date format) since 3, 1, and 4 are the first three significant digits of π.[2][3][4][5] In 2009, the United States House of Representatives supported the designation of Pi Day.[6]

>Pi Approximation Day is observed on July 22 (22/7 in the day/month date format), since the fraction 22⁄7 is a common approximation of π, which is accurate to two decimal places and dates from Archimedes.[7]

This is some real stupid shit.
>>
>>7930839
>b) Three point fourteen [hundredths]
>>
>>7930932
This is the product of liberals arts. What were you expecting?
>>
>>7930839
Three and fourteen hundredths

>>7930841
>>7930846
>>7930895
>>7930901
>>7930904
>>7930905
>>7930905
>>7930913
>>7930929
>>7930932
>>7930945
>>7930967
you all literally missed elementary school
>>
strangely i say 3.10 as "three point ten" not "three point one zero"

and with something like just .14 i think i would accept "point fourteen" especially if it was a percentage

idk, linguistics man
>>
>>7930976
>newfag not knowing what ITT is
CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
>>
>>7930976
you are late see >>7930945
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.