[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blackholes, can ships at light-speed get stuck in them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 230px-Black_hole.png (40 KB, 230x184) Image search: [Google]
230px-Black_hole.png
40 KB, 230x184
So lately I've been thinking about the speed of light and black holes and came to a conclusion after a study on light in a black hole that, in theory a ship could be going at the speed of light and get stuck in the black holes gravity. I have come to this conclusion due to the fact that it has been said the even light cannot escape the gravity of a black hole. Could this technically make light speed ships even more dangerous than the concept already is?
>>
It would be great though if you actually knew something about how space works
>>
>>7930533
Quote "Black holes* are some of the most perplexing objects in the entire Universe. Objects so dense, where gravitation is so strong, that nothing, not even light, can escape from it." - http://scienceblogs.com/
>>
The speed of light is 680 million mph
A ship cannot go 680 million mph
A human cannot survive travelling 680 million mph
>>
>>7930518
What?
Er, no. In the context of your question, it doesn't make any difference if your maximum possible velocity is 0.5c or 1c. If you travel into a region which has an escape velocity >c, you're never coming out again.
>>
>>7930556
It is true that to go at light speed you would have to have no mass, but this is just a question. I'm just puzzled that no one criticized interstellar for them being able to escape the black hole in a ship.
>>
>>7930563
Sci-fi would be pretty boring if it didn't break the rules. I don't know what proportion of astrophysicists got their first taste of the subject from sci-fi, i'd guess quite high. If the story's good enough, who cares really if it breaks the rules. It's just entertainment.
>>
>>7930563
it's a fucking movie, christ
>>
>>7930563
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mf5UBFvH4
>>
>>7930556
Humans can survive travelling at "680 million" mph, what they can't survive is the acceleration or deceleration up to, or down from, that speed.
>>
>>7930556
We simply haven't developed a ship that can yet.
>>
>>7930563
They didn't pass the event horizon in interstellar.
>>
>>7930563
>It is true that to go at light speed you would have to have no mass,

Mass doesn't even make sense at the speed of light considering it requires you to divide by 0
>>
>>7931016
Mass of an object traveling at the speed of light is equal to Restmass divided by 0
>>
>>7931011
Nigga, are you a black hole? Because you are pretty fucking dense. Objects with mass cannot go at the speed of light because it'd require an infinite amount of energy to do so. >>7930556
Three words: Relativity, you retard.

Holy shit, did I just walk into one gigantic bait, or are there only retards on this board now? This thread almost makes me want to an hero.
>>
>>7930990
>Humans can survive travelling at "680 million" mph

No, "they can't"
>>
>>7931024
If we can't survive traveling high speeds, then how can we survive being on a gigantic rock that is rotating and orbiting at incredible speeds? It is entirely to do with acceleration. Go look up Newton's laws and relativity, and you'll get your explanation.
>>
obviously a ship can't travel at lightspeed, but i think what you're looking for is called the photon sphere

>A photon sphere is a spherical region of space where gravity is strong enough that photons are forced to travel in orbits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon_sphere
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.