[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
quick question: Why is my percent yield 210 in this experiment?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: copperchloride.jpg (28 KB, 322x322) Image search: [Google]
copperchloride.jpg
28 KB, 322x322
quick question:

Why is my percent yield 210 in this experiment?
Copper chloride with 2 parts water + aluminum -->Copper + AlCl3.
Al is the limiting reactant. Mix that shit, then filter out the copper. Find mass of the filter and copper, then subtract the mass of the filter. There's WAY more "copper" than theoretically possible. What happened? Did some AlCl3 or CuCl2 get caught in the filter?

>inb4 underage
>>
Youre mom
>>
>>7929874
>being you
>>
I bet I fucking bet you didn't balance the charges but only the masses.
>>
>>7929872
>Why is my percent yield 210 in this experiment?
Assuming you added a shit load of water since you sound obviously underage, you probably weighed the entire fucking beaker with the water in there and just plugged n' chugged
>>
>>7929872
Your partner is stealing some to sell himself before you weigh it.

Check for flies in the lab.
>>
>>7929881
>>7929885
I didn't screw it up, idiots. My teacher specifically said there was a reason why there's such a high % yield, and its not from incorrect measurements
>>
And to clarify, the filter paper was dried in a furnace and then weighed
>>
>>7929896
holy shit you really are underage
>My teacher specifically said there was a reason why there's such a high % yield
So why did you take the time you could've used in asking your teacher for the reason why...on posting some shitty "help me on my hw pls"-tier thread on /sci/?
>>
if it were me, i'd test the melting point to see if it was mostly aluminum

given that the sp ratings of AlCl3 wouldn't be affected that much by temp, you probably didn't let it react long enough, since Cu is ~ .5 the weight of unreacted cucl2
>>
>>7929896
Well you can't have mass from nothing give us your numbers kid. Oh, and was the copper blue because the molar masses are different.
>>
>>7929903
>I am mentally superior and everyone else is an idiot

Maybe he said figure it out... That's why I'm asking for help, bitch.
>>
>>7929908
This. It's unlikely that a retard like OP would get a reaction with 100% completion rate.
>>
>>7929916
>I need assistance from hundreds of anons even though I can just open my fucking book or google it and get the answer instantaneously
Once again, you really are underage. 99% you're in high school judging by your dependancy, too.
>>
>>7929872
You made CuO or some copper hydrate, why don't you Google the reaction?
>>
>>7929896
CuCl2 is hygroscopic, which is why it is blue. Stick it in an oven and I promise it will turn white. Put it in a desiccator, let it cool, and weigh it again
>>
>>7929872
water in your crystals

do what this anon says
>>7930013
>>
>>7929872
Copper rusts
>>
>>7929930
Not OP, but you're an asshole
>>
>>7931010
>muh feelings waaah
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>7931010
>totally not OP!
he's absolutely right. faggot comes here begging for help and calls others bitches when he doesn't get his way

you don't know what you're doing, fucking teenager. google it and fuck off.
>>
>>7930013
>>7930052
>current year
>not activating your crystals
>>
Your product absorb water from the atmosphere, this is gen Chem 1 or 2, you should not ask stranger on the Internet to do your homework
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.