[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calculus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 780x607) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 780x607
Since there are a lot of stupid threads now, let this be the one all-purpose thread where you can ask a person who knows calculus anything.
>>
>>7927959
I haven't done calculus in a while, but I never quite understood the equation of work. Please, explain as if you're talking to someone with an IQ of 70.
>>
>>7927993
It is force times how far out you are in the line of work. Meaning, if you are doing work on a pole extending outwards, the force of gravity at each point times your distance is the ammiunt of work at that point. It is defined to be force times distance.
>>
>>7928001
Thank you.
>>
>>7928009
Your welcome Mate.
>>
What is calculus?
>>
Why is d/dx treated as if it were a fraction? moreover, why does separation of variables work if they aren't supposed to be treated as fractions? Why do things like total differential even exist?
>>
>>7928068
[math]\frac{d}{dx}[/math] is Leibniz notation for "derivative of x", never treat it as a fraction. You can think of it as a fraction when doing u-sub or something but do not actually computate it as a fraction.
>>
>>7928068
Just to let you onow the other guy was not Op, i am. Treat it as a fractions and thinks work out, treat the "dx" in the integrals as multiplication and it works out.
>>
>>7928077
false

you can cancel off the d's to get 1/x
>>
>>7928086
Op here, please, go back to /b/.
>>
>>7928068
Now, not to say they exactly represent those things, but you are allowed to manipulate them, and they are given definitions that make them act like fractions. (dy/dx)(dx) is the definition of dy, and dx is defined to be ewual to delta x.
>>
>>7928077
how is it different from dy/dx? Can you not manipulate it such that d(f(x))=kdx (where k is any term you want)? Or are you not saying you can't and i'm being stupid?
>>
>>7928108
He's saying that they aren't exactly fractions, but playing pretend is allowed.
>>
>>7928115
Ah, that cleared it up. Thanks
>>
>>7928129
You're welcome matey, - Op
>>
File: Screenshot_52.jpg (27 KB, 1206x130) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_52.jpg
27 KB, 1206x130
For this question......
>>
File: Screenshot_53.jpg (130 KB, 933x877) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_53.jpg
130 KB, 933x877
>>7928174
Why do we define dS as what I boxed in red?
>>
>>7928177
Uh..... This is the sort of thing in an analysys class. I would assume there is a proof of it, but I wouldn't know it.
>>
>>7928090
just take d (x^1/2)/dx

you cancel off the d's to get x^1/2/x

which of course simplifies to 1/x^1/2

Q.E.D.
>>
>>7928187
The class is Multivariable calculus (I haven't taken a proofs class yet), I just never saw in the book where it said: "dS = this..."
Wasn't sure if it was something intuitive that I missed or something. I guess more of my question was, if it's true for all surface integrals?
>>
>>7928195
Dunno. - useless Op
>>
>>7928212
>useless
Nah, it's fine.
>>
>>7928214
K man. - Op
>>
>>7928177
In differential geometry, n-dimensional "surfaces" (manifolds) can characterized entirely by their intrinsic geometry.
This information is contained in a object called the metric tensor of the "surface", [math]{{g_{ij}}}[/math].

So let [math]g = \det \left( {{g_{ij}}} \right)[/math].
Then an n-dim volume form on the "surface" (manifold) is written as [math] dV = \sqrt g d{x_1} \wedge ... \wedge d{x_n} [/math]

The typical thing you think of as a surface is a 2D object embedded into a 3D space.

So the "volume form" for a typical 2D surface, would actually be a surface area form [math] dA = \sqrt g d{x_1} \wedge d{x_2}[/math].

At the level of Multivariable Calculus, the wedge product is typically ignored. So I will do that from now on.

Define a Surface by a map, [math] f:U \to {\mathbb{R}^3} [/math], where U is a subset of R^2.

Take a general coordinate, [math] \left( {{x_1},{x_2}} \right) \in U [/math].

Then the geometric factor sqrt(g) can take the form: [math] \sqrt g = \left\| {\frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_1}}} \times \frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_2}}}} \right\| [/math].

So then our Surface Area element is: [math] dA = \left\| {\frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_1}}} \times \frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_2}}}} \right\|d{x_1}d{x_2} [/math]

Now the Vector Surface Area element is just: [math] d\vec S = \hat \nu dA [/math].

Where nu is the unit normal to the surface. Defined as: [math] \hat \nu = \pm \frac{{\frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_1}}} \times \frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_2}}}}}{{\left\| {\frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_1}}} \times \frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_2}}}} \right\|}} [/math]

So finally our general Vector Surface Area element can be written: [math] d\vec S = \pm \left( {\frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_1}}} \times \frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial {x_2}}}} \right)d{x_1}d{x_2} [/math]

In your specific question: [math] f\left( {{x_1},{x_2}} \right) = \left( {{x_1},{x_2},\sqrt {{x_1}^2 + {x_2}^2} } \right) [/math]
>>
>>7928223
Trying 2 beat Op now are we?
>>
>>7928225
Well OP is clearly useless.
>>
>>7928231
op is probs first year that took calc 1 and is currently doing calc 2

that's all that's needed for knowing calculus in his mind
>>
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/calculus-for-electric-circuits/

Scroll to question 2 and look at the first and second graphs. Is the first supposed to be the derivative of the second? Because I really don't think it is. It would have to be shifted to the left by 2.
Right?
>>
>>7928233
Once you learn the power rule, thats all the calculus you really need.
>>
Can someone explain vector and parametric functions to me like I'm a retard?
>>
>>7927959
How to show that the Cantor set is perfect but with measure zero?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.