[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/orgo/: SQT edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Memeduction_.png (474 KB, 747x299) Image search: [Google]
Memeduction_.png
474 KB, 747x299
>inb4 butthurt mathfags and physicists spam their "chemistry isn't science" dogma

I'll start with a brainlet question:

Everybody on this board is likely familiar with the meme that is aldehydes being able to be reduced to primary alcohols. What reducing agent besides [math]NaBH_4[/math] and [math]LiAlH_4[/math] would be pretty good at reducing aldehydes (and possibly ketones)?

(fuck it, inorganic and analytical chemistry questions are welcome, too.)
>>
muh arrow pushing is science
>>
File: 1457298824336.jpg (91 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457298824336.jpg
91 KB, 1920x1080
>>7927218
The same can be applied to physics.
>muh plugging n' chugging is science
>>
>>7927232
except it isn't plugging n' chugging, chem brainlet
>>
>>7927215
Organic chemistry is literally shit tier. Inorganic or kill yourself
>>
>>7927215
>labs with 10% actual work and 90% sitting around, waiting for a distillation

"rigorous"
"hard"
"science"
>>
File: Untitled.png (43 KB, 1091x333) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
43 KB, 1091x333
>UHH IT'S NOT JUST MEMORIZATION SHITLORD
>>
>>7927258
>10% actual work, 40% waiting for engineers to build the equipment and 50% waiting for computers to handle the data
Like Physics is any better
>>
>>7927218
>>7927248
>>7927251
>>7927258
>>7927264
Holy fuck, no wonder this board has gone to shit, these are literally /b/ tier shitposts

>wah I don't like something and I'm insecure in my field of study so I will reassure myself by criticizing other fields

Just fucking kys edgelords.
>>
>>7927265
except the lab is already ready for you, and the data is read very quickly, if you don't go to a shitty state school

so it's more like:

>50% actual work, 10% data processing, 40% analyzing

and in Ochem:

>1% actual work, 99% sitting around waiting for the reaction to finish, and waiting for people to get off the NMR and IR machines, and waiting for the GC to churn out data, which is analyzed in 5 minutes, if you're not braindead

>>7927269
cry about it
>>
DUDE CURLY ARROWS LMAO
>>
>>7927215
Derailing this shitposting thread a bit, is there any software that can be used to predict the outcome of a reaction, without resorting to database and book reading? A software that would give products given inputs, and showing the reaction energy and so on, or even to be able to show the full synthesis tree of a particular molecule. Im an amateur in chemistry, but I'm interested on whether such software exists.
>>
>>7927215
Gringard reagent's can also be used to reduce aldehydes and ketones.

>A reduction can also take place, in which a hydride is delivered from the β-carbon of the Grignard reagent to the carbonyl carbon via a cyclic six-membered transition state.

http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/grignard-reaction.shtm

The mechanism is shown in the above link.
>>
>>7927272
>Lab courses are 100% what the field is like

Undergrad detected.
>>
>>7927284
so you agree that undergrad Ochem is a joke
>>
>>7927286
No. Undergrad lab courses are a joke for the most part, you don't really master lab technique and analysis methods until you intern under a professor. But lecture courses are important for students looking to go further into organic chemistry as a grad student.
>>
>>7927286
stop talking out of your ass, anon
>>
File: 1456677793807.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1456677793807.jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
>>7927258
I bet you can't even tell when something as simple as an acid-catalyzed dehydration has gone to completion.
>>
>>7927264
>hurr I'm gonna post snapshots from a 15 year old book that's fairly outdated
>>
>>7927314
i bet you can't even get through chapter 2 of Spivak

>>7927314
it's 2 years old
>>
>>7927332
Freshman math major detected :^)
>>
>>7927277
Yeah, look into computational chemistry. GAMESS and Gaussian I believe are two popular ones.
>>
>>7927274
>The most chemistry I've ever done was taking glances at reaction mechanisms: the post.
>>
>>7927641
DUDE CURLY ARROWS WITH ONE BARB LMAO
>>
File: curly arrow.png (7 KB, 500x263) Image search: [Google]
curly arrow.png
7 KB, 500x263
>>7927720
Curly arrows are fun!
>>
>>7927397
Isnt there any more basic software? Its for amateurish stuff, after all
>>
>>7927767
Nope, sorry.
>>
>>7927277
lel, EJ Corey was working on something like this back in the '60s, don't know what became of it
>>
>>7927910
It became curly arrows n shiet.
>>
>>7927215
>>7927282
2nd quarter O-chem student here. This is pretty neat. Grignard reagents are like fucking magic. I should probably be studying for my final on Monday instead of reading about interesting mechanisms that we have never talked about in class, but EH.

As far as stupid questions go: what is actually up with minimum-boiling azeotropes? I have yet to read a good explanation of the reason for them, and a lot of the answers I find seem to contradict each other.
>>
>>7928051
>Grignard reagents are like fucking magic.
Perhaps because they are magic. Or I'm just obsessed with organometallic compounds.

>what is actually up with minimum-boiling azeotropes?
It's hard to explain but simply put, it's why Vigreux columns save your life.
>>
Hey guys, whats the best way to get gud at analyzing NMR data? I joined a research group as an undergrad and we are going into the lab next quarter and im looking to be as proeficient and not-a-burden as possible. My shitty TA for,lab didnt really,give two shits about teaching NMR in the labs for the actual class

Also, what are some thongs i need to familiarize myself to be a good lab monkey. Like what is indispensable knowledge/know-how etc. I rwally look up to my professor and dint want to let him down. He said hed,start us off with shit rxn to practice and then move us into the newer stuff
>>
>>7928474
Learn COESY, NOESY, HMBC, HSQC and HMQC for NMR
>>
>>7927215
physics undergrad here
how do i into chemistry ?
best basic book \ online course \ whatever ?
>>
File: general_chemistry.jpg (74 KB, 595x774) Image search: [Google]
general_chemistry.jpg
74 KB, 595x774
>>7928838
General chemistry by Linus Pauling is a decent place to start if you're a complete newfag to chemistry. A lot of the book goes beyond the watered down commentary in modern textbooks and provides more explanation at a quantum level

>inb4 kek Linus was a vitamin hoarding turbo-autist
>>
>>7928838
Find some gen chem book unless you already have a pretty strong background on chemistry. Assuming you are a physics undergrad, you should be familiar with a significant amount of the stuff discussed in gen chem oboks.
>>
isn't the answer

' just fucking google reducing agents '
>>
>>7929679
ya
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.