[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Compound interest question. It takes the same time to turn $1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Compound interest question. It takes the same time to turn $1 into $100 as it does to turn $1,000 into $100,000. Is there a function where it would be faster to turn $1,000 into $100,000 than $1 into $100? What would it and its derivative look like?
>>
>>7926913
yes

multiply the number by itself every day.
>>
>>7926925
in other words, x^2
>>
>>7926925
>owe the bank a thousand dollars
>have a million the next day
>>
>>7926935
>in other words, x^2

That's not "multiplying the number by itself every day." In fact that is slower than exponential ("compound interest").
>>
>>7926935
You probably mean [eqn] x^t [/eqn]
>>
>>7926913
>Is there a function where it would be faster to turn $1,000 into $100,000 than $1 into $100? What would it and its derivative look like?

There is an infinite number of such functions.
>>
>>7926968
>mathfags try answering real questions

>it exists but I can't tell you how to find it

sounds like santa to me.
>>
>>7926935
Dumbass, multiply a number by itself every single day is f (x)=a^(2^x) with a being your starting point
>>
>>7926988
See>>7926995
>>
>>7926988
>can't tell you how to find it

Ok faggot, exponential growth is

f(x) = a*e^(t*b), where a is initial value and b is some constant, yes? So how would you change that function to make it grow faster?
>>
>>7926968
Surely you could provide a general form.
>>
Would y' = y^2 fit OP's criteria?
>>
>>7927033
There is no general form to /all/ of the functions that this holds true for.
Except, well...
f(t) so that if f' is the inverse of f then f'(100000) - f'(1000) < f'(1000) - f'(10)
>>
>>7927355
Uhhh fucked up the numbers but my point stands
>>
>>7926913
y = x + $99,000
>>
>>7926925
>$1 multiplied by itself every day
>>
>>7927603
what's wrong? You're having trouble with 1*1?

fucking americans.
>>
Simple, the derivative if the derivitave is always positive. Lets say it's 2. then taking two antiderivatives, x^2+cx+k where c and k can be anything, including zero. Yeilding x^2 as such a function, where x is the distance between the two numbers of interest.
>>
You're looking for a function that is superconvex, or logarithmically convex. This basically means the function grows faster than an exponential function. The factorial function is superconvex
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.