[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fermi Paradox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
So why haven't we encountered intelligent life /sci/? Are we in a space zoo? We can't be alone, can we?
>>
File: carlin2.jpg (28 KB, 250x360) Image search: [Google]
carlin2.jpg
28 KB, 250x360
>>7926046
I'm not saying it's self-replicating killer robots, but it's self-replicating killer robots.
>>
http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1649.htm
http://www.europeanknightsproject.com/russian-prime-minister-medvedev-obama-will-not-tell-truth-aliens-russians-will/
Russians will some day disclose alien presence on earth just to undermine USA credibility.
>>
>>7927925
Okay.
Distance and relatively slow speed limits.
>>
We are on the fucking edge of the milky way. We are space bumpkins.
>>
>>7926046
Distance and time.
Civilization if it exists is separated by thousands of light years and millions of years of time.
It is very far and has nothing to say to us that wouldn't shatter our unique culture.
>>
>>7926046
We don't know. The list of -most probable- reasons have been explored and they're all pretty simple to understand so just read those. Beyond those, no one is really going to have any new information to add and they can only offer the theory they think is true, which will generally have just as much merit as the next theory since we really have no fucking clue.
>>
>>7928981
We have to wait for next generation telescopes that might be able to discover bio signatures and mega scale engineering if it exists.
>>
>>7926046
>why haven't we encountered intelligent life
Listen to how fucking absurd and stupid this question is. Where would you expect to "encounter" them?

Stop ascribing Human attributes to Aliens.
Going out and exploring/conquering the Galaxy is a Human pursuit. Maybe Aliens don't give a fuck about other civilizations, or more likely, all civilizations die out before encountering another one.

Fermi paradox is bullshit because even if you knew exactly where to look, you would see no evidence of life from our viewpoint.
>>
>>7926046
there are some red ant colonies in the amazon jungle and it's not like i don't have the technology to find them and actually get to them but why would i?
some explorers already went there and gathered all information they could about them with minimum impact to their habitat, i doubt the ants even noticed them and even if they did they surely didn't understand what was happening.
i already know what i want to know about ants and further study would be irrelevant from my point of view.
also, i don't want to have any meaningful relationship with any ant.
those ants should be thankful that i don't want some natural resource that happens to be a part of their habitat, like wood..... oh... wait...
>>
>>7928986
Why does that make the Fermi Paradox "bullshit"? With what we know about the universe it's a completely natural question to ask. The answers you gave are possibilities, but like I said, they're neither definitive nor necessarily better than any other theory and so they don't invalidate or resolve the question at all.
>>
>>7928990
The ant analogy falls apart in a lot of ways so I never liked it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.