[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is psychology a science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image_9.png (338 KB, 900x603) Image search: [Google]
image_9.png
338 KB, 900x603
Is psychology a science?
>>
File: Duck.gif (259 B, 36x36) Image search: [Google]
Duck.gif
259 B, 36x36
in school, the first year courses arent but the third and fourth year courses are. as well, you will do some data analysis.

they might not require proofs, nor will they require the calculation of the integral of the third cubic quartile gamma ray distributive property of illusive immersion to quantum lagrange, but they are pretty sciencey.

/sci/ judges psychology based on its first year courses and writes the entire degree off of them. based on first year classes, is it correct to say that compsci is just programming? no.

in the grand scheme of things, it depends what field you get into. i will end my comment here though: people often get sociology mixed up with psychology.
>>
Dumb gorillaposter
>>
I see science as a sophisticated form of reverse engineering the universe and pretty much all we perceive, so yes,
But again, I am just a lurker, and not even /sci/ lurker.
>>
>>7919413
This is not the reason /sci/ considers psychology a non-science.

This is the reason:
http://www.nature.com/news/over-half-of-psychology-studies-fail-reproducibility-test-1.18248
>>
Nàáâäãåāh
>>
Psychology is a science but most "psychologists" aren't scientists
>>
>>7919608
this.
Here is my guide to knowing whether the psychology major you're talking to is actually worth conversing with and not a blithering idiot.
in this order:
You: What's your major?

them: Psychology

You: Why and what are you planning to do with that?

psychologist: I'm trying to get my pHD and conduct more research on "insert field here" then maybe eventually teach.

Idiot: Idk, I just like it because I like understanding how people think. I don't think I will to get my masters or anything =^)

...and sometimes:
I want to work with kids!
>>
are sciences really a science ?
>>
>>7919608
Correct, they teach you right away that correlation does not imply causation. However, you will notice that almost all psychology studies are correlation based.

There is also a strong liberal bias preventing them from science. For example, homosexuality was listed as a mental disorder in earlier editions of the DSM. They basically got bullied into removing it, despite the fact that it still fits their criteria for a mental disorder.
>>
>>7919719
>Idk, I just like it because I like understanding how people think. I don't think I will to get my masters or anything

What do you dislike here exactly?
>>
I was going to start a thread like this but I'm more concerned with how much stock society places in psychology. It's used to determine who gets certain jobs, the outcome of certain court cases, and God knows what else. But does it really deserve to have so much influence?
>>
>>7919484
It's great that psychology polices itself. But don't be so quick to wish the field away with that link. Try this one:
http://www.nature.com/news/psychology-s-reproducibility-problem-is-exaggerated-say-psychologists-1.19498
>>
File: Chosen_one_bait.png (40 KB, 380x378) Image search: [Google]
Chosen_one_bait.png
40 KB, 380x378
>>7919383

I smell a bait coming....
>>
>>7920071
What do you mean psychology is used to determine hiring and court cases?
Are you talking about bringing in expert witnesses to testify that eyewitness testimony is unreliable? That's really important. Or are you talking about psychiatric diagnoses being stigmatizing?
>>
>>7919761
>it still fits their criteria for a mental disorder.

How so?
>>
>>7920436
I once applied for a minimum wage mcjob, and they proceeded to give me the ENTIRE MMPI. I was like, Seriously? I left after the first 100 or so questions.
>>
>>7920714
> b-b-but it was used to see if you could handle the stress of being asked a lot of completely useless questions that have nothing to do with making mcfats for fatties
>>
>>7919761
>correlation does not imply causation
the problem with that is that it doesnt answer the question of when to infer causality. just saying "this doesnt work in general" isnt very constructive.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.