[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are elementary particles so perfectly identical? An electron
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 1457034419793.png (686 KB, 634x875) Image search: [Google]
1457034419793.png
686 KB, 634x875
Why are elementary particles so perfectly identical?

An electron from my body is exactly the same as an electron in a star 300 light years away. Not just similar but indistinguishable.
>>
>>7919227
If you like gorillas so much, why don't you go the damn zoo and FUCK A GORILLA and stop posting these FUCKING GORILLAS.
>>
>>7919227
how do you know they're identical?
>>
>>7919236
Isn't it a theorem of some sort in quantum physics
>>
>>7919264
no
>>
Location is a property of a particle, so if their location is different they are not indistinguishable
>>
damn gorillaposter this is a good one
>>
>>7919227
Might be every electron in the universe is actually the same particle, only it weaves back and forth in time. You can interpret antimatter like positrons like electrons moving back in time. From this perspective a electron/positron annihilation looks like an electron that got hit with a gamma ray and then got deflected back in time.
>>
>>7919227
Particles are vibrational modes in seemingly uniform quantum fields. The reason every electron appears the same is because every guitar string of the same length vibrates with the same frequency.
>>
File: quack1s1.jpg (20 KB, 300x420) Image search: [Google]
quack1s1.jpg
20 KB, 300x420
>>7920898
There's no tangible verifiable evidence for string theory. Fuck off quack.
>>
>>7920898
Actually, earlier in the universe it would have been possible to have electrons that don't appear the same as other electrons when the quantum field for electrons wasn't uniform and at a stable value everywhere. This would have had to been very close to the big bang though.
>>
>>7920902
That's not string theory its quantum field theory. String theory adds that the things vibrating are strings. In QFT its the field that's vibrating.
>>
>>7920906
I'm skeptical of quantum physics in general. Any purely theoretical field is quackery in my opinion until their theories are tested and verified using the scientific method.
>>
>>7920911
QFT has been rigorously tested. It's just widely accepted as incomplete due to the lack of an explanation of gravity. Which is getting there with a big help from the discovery of the higgs boson.
>>
>>7920585
Really autistic answer.

Never teach. You can't relate to humans at all.
>>
>>7920983
autists are human too, normie scum
>>
>>7920987
ehh
>>
>>7920983
i thought it was a good answer and im a popsci faggot
>>
>>7920911
>tested and verified using the scientific method.
why do you cling to some verification ? and who should verify ? and where and when should we verify ?
>>
> An electron from my body is exactly the same as an electron in a star 300 light years away
proof it :^)
>>
File: nuffin.jpg (145 KB, 605x600) Image search: [Google]
nuffin.jpg
145 KB, 605x600
>>7921420
>>
>>7921432
>being anti-science
>>
>>7921434
stop stalling and proof it :^)
>>
>>7921440
Yuo stop staling lel, cant into pooper criteria
>>
>>7921525
> i can't proof it :'^(
i knew it <:^)
>>
>>7921420
Some stars have hydrogen particles, hydrogen particles are the same all over the universe
>>
>>7921785
proof it :^)
>>
File: 1452376290764.gif (1 MB, 361x395) Image search: [Google]
1452376290764.gif
1 MB, 361x395
All electrons are the same because otherwise they'd get defined as something else

it's not like there's anything dividing protons and electrons other than all the differing properties, if all the subatomic particles were grouped together under a single name you wouldn't have made this thread, and no laws of the universe would have been different
>>
>>7920911
Quantum physics has been tested more accurately than any other theory.
>>7920919
You can include gravity in QFT, it just tends not to be perturbatively renormalizable. It's possible that quantum gravity is renormalizable in the full, non-perturbative regime.
>>7919227
This is a consequence of the fact that in particle physics the fundamental objects are quantum fields. There is just one electron field, so all the electrons have to be identical. It's the same reason that in classical physics the magnetic field behaves the same at every point - it might point in a different direction and have a different magnitude but a compass will always respond the same way because it's the same field.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.