[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT we discuss beautiful fields of math Analysisfags stay out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: images (3).jpg (9 KB, 384x131) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
9 KB, 384x131
ITT we discuss beautiful fields of math

Analysisfags stay out
>>
>Analysisfags stay out

Pleb
>>
>>7911988
>combinatorics
AHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>7912006
>my only exposure is an intro course
>>
Who /set theory/ here?
>>
>>7912038
Yes. But honestly I suspect algebraic geometry might be more beautiful had I gotten into it. Apparently one of the most unifying fields of math.

Then again, nothing can compete with the freaking foundation of all of mathematics.
>>
what's wrong with analysis?
>>
>>7912166
it's too hard for brainlets
>>
Who /[math]\mathbb{R}[/math]/ here?
>>
>>7912178
Sorry, I work only over inter-universal teichmüller universes.
>>
>>7912168
Nope. Just boring.
>>
Algebraic topology is a very sexy lady. The unfortunate part about algebra for me was that it was difficult to visualize but thanks to the category theory I've now learned and the topology beneath the surface I don't have that problem. Even when the material is all fancy abstract homology bullshit! It's so freeing I could sing. All this time I was trying to see groups but what I should have been trying to see was the networks of maps between them.
>>
What the fuck is the point of analysis anyways? What do you do in analysis that is different from what you learned in calc 1-3 and diffy q?
>>
>>7912804
Well meme'd
>>
>>7912145
Except for high level alternative foundations such as topos theory.

Topos theory was built with set theory in mind though, so set theory is the grand daddy.
>>
>>7912773
>see
Stay pleb.

But seriously, geometric intuition can be deceiving, you must abstract from it.
>>
>>7912825
Knew someone would comment something like this.

The mathematical language of category theory is still ultimately ultimately reducible to the language of set theory. Membership and structure encodable by membership. All the reasoning ultimately follows from ZF(C).
>>
>>7912773
There's also a graph theoretical approach to abstract algebra. It's different but related to the categorical intuition.

>>7912831
This is what plebs say.

No one ever uses intuition as a replacement for proofs. At best it gives you insight about which statements might be true and how to construct proofs for them as well as giving intuition for why other statements ought to be true.

It is always better to see more and have more insights than it is to just fall back on a list of properties.
>>
>>7912773
Same tbqh. I hate algebra until I learned algebraic geometry.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.