[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What type of engineering degree would be used to make a real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: Iron_Man_bleeding_edge.jpg (33 KB, 300x376) Image search: [Google]
Iron_Man_bleeding_edge.jpg
33 KB, 300x376
What type of engineering degree would be used to make a real life Iron-Man suit?
>>
memegineering
>>
Definitely not a one man job so probably a large variety of fields of expertise
>>
>>7911947
Or you could just create J.A.R.V.I.S and have him ups your shit. But CS is gay
>>
>>7911772
Creative writing
>>
Just get this guy to make it for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgOnI5bx5Y
>>
>>7911778
>memegineering
That. It will be a degree in the field named electromechanics or with even better (its more modern equivalent) mechatronics.
>>
>>7912024
It will take more than mere algorithms to create an AI. EE is more appropriate. (And for trivia, it supposedly is Stark's degree.)
>>
>>7912059
Technically a bachelor in EE and a masters in EE and physics from MIT. Not even a PhD. Fucking pleb.
>>
>>7912072
PhD in engineering is only needed for research. An MSc is fine for the industry.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Hurtubise
>>
Pretty much all of them, CompE, EE, MechE, MatE, ChemE, AeroE, and probably a math and physics guy.
>>
>>7911772
every Mech E freshman wants to be goddamn tony stark.
>>
>>7912175
>developing own suit
>not research
>>
>>7912526
>ChemE
>CompE
not really...
>>
>>7911947
But Tony Stark did it in a cave...
>>
>>7912698
CompE for AI and electronics, EE for the reactor, this subject is too wide for an EE to tackle alone, not mention that an EE is useless in electronics compared to CompE unless he specialized in it and if he did it would then make him useless in where he's needed the most, and I'm not even mentioning the software side, which is just as complicated as the other issues. Specialization is extremely important unlike what people here want to believe.
>>
>>7912719
good point, but where does ChemE come in?
>>
You pretty much just need a Mechanical Engineering/Electrical Engineering background with a solid CompE/CompSci Minor. Nothing other than that. It's doable to complete that, too.

I have a BS/MS in Mathematics with an interest in control theory, working towards a MS in MechE. My Master's courses are nothing but EE/controls and it's a solid combination.
>>
>>7912726
whatever the fuck power source he's using is going to require some chemical mumbo jumbo, and i'm pretty sure the suit has fluids flowing through it.
>>
>>7912726
I comes in when it comes to mass producing the substances that every average joe "genius" engineer will use to create their cute little suits.
>>
Common sense is enough to realize that the abilities of the suit are far beyond the realms of what is possible.

>no fun

Material engineering, and rocket propulsion engineering
>>
>>7912175
What research do you do in engineering? Do you mean R&D or is a masters fine for that too?
>>
>>7912728

Minors are counter productive in these cases, the time wasted in minoring could have been spent specializing further more and going into depth, EE (assuming power specialization) that minors in EE knows less than a full blown Power that didn't waste his time on spreading, an EE with Power specialization and CS/compE minor can't compete with CompE who didn't waste his time for the same reason. Minors help when you want to max your chances in multiple fields in case your main field won't do, it can almost never be used to replace someone who's main is your minor (CS is an exception)
>>
>>7912700
WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS
>>
>>7912548
Don't they know he's an EE and a physicists?
>>
>>7911772
One from a universe where inertia doesn't exist.
>>
>>7913951
I'm sure he invented done kind of inertia dampening field
>>
>>7912596
It is not theoretical research. Someone can be a great engineer without a doctorate. It isn't a hard science where you need to extensively study about a topic.
>>7912788
PhD in EE means more of a science work than engineering. For R&D a MSc is fine. Well, I ain't an engineer myself to know for certain though.
>>
>>7912548
They enrolled in the wrong school then.
>>
>>7914485
CompE here, that's true, a company sends EE to do MSc regularly, never heard of a a paid PhD
>>
>>7913957
That doesn't and can't exist.

Momentum is conserved, sorry.
>>
>>7914529
Neither does anything else related to this suit
>>
>>7914529
>>7913951
What are the limitations of mechanical dampers? Momentum is still conserved
>>
>>7912700
>But Tony Stark did it in a cave...

But I AM NOT Tony stark
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.