[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck would anyone want to get into teaching?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 1280x853
>shit pay
>shit hours
>have your pride and dignity constantly shit on by low IQ plebs, niggers and retarded SJW red tape

And holy shit. Teaching STEM is worse because you'll be
>forced to teach math and science to retards because hurr durr "no child left behind" policy
>try to prevent an explosion in the chem lab by students who can't tell the difference between 5 and 50mg
>>
ahh fuck I know what you mean jeez

-kingibi
>>
I teach English to Japanese children and it's quite fun. No, I'm not a pedo.
>>
>>7911473
Is teaching liberal arts really that comfy than STEM?

My english teacher used to scream all the time
>>
>>7911475
I live in Japan so I'm forced to teach children.
>>
>>7911468
When I think about teaching, I think about being a professor at a top-tier university. This doesn't fit any of your bullet points. Maybe you're not talking about teaching in general, but rather teaching at the shitty community college you're studying right now?
>>
>>7911473
>I'm not a pedo
Sure.
>>
>>7911468
>try to prevent an explosion in the chem lab by students who can't tell the difference between 5 and 50mg

lol

I never even did anything lab like in high school chemistry. All we did was balancing equations and stoichiometry.

maybe it's why I don't like chemistry
>>
>>7911563
Funny, I liked balancing equations and stoichiometry. It was all those tedious lab reports that steered me away from chem.
>>
I wouldn't mind a teaching career at this point. The whole 2 year certification track without pay is mind boggling. No one who is older than 21 can commit to that.
>>
i think if i were to be a teacher i'd like to be a history teacher

history is super cool.
>>
>>7911468
And academic work is so much better right? A teacher has far better working conditions than a fucking postdoc slave. Neither are well regarded in society. Nobody even knows what a post doc is.
>>
>>7911468
Most of them are commies.
>>
>>7911558
One of his bullets is NCLB, I don't think he's talking about university or college at all. When the idiots reach university, you can just shrug and fail them.

>>7911468
>Why the fuck would anyone want to get into teaching?
Because they have strong personal opinions that they want to spread, and they're willing to endure very bad conditions for the chance to spread them.
>>
It's mostly for incompetent women who just want an "easy" job that you can never be fired from

also fills some sort of mothering instinct
>>
>>7911560
Okay you caught me.
>>
>>7911468
Adjunct Professor of Biology here. I teach science labs at a local college.

Teaching is not for everybody, but I absolutely fucking love it. I honestly enjoy opening up the minds of my students to the world of science, even if I know they are just scratching the surface. The only shitty part is grading papers.
>>
I thought being a professor would be super cool, get to share your interests with (hopefully) eager students, and then when you're not teaching you get to do research and try to push further society and such. Get reasonable amount of time off, pay isn't as good, but job should be comfy.

...but I'm told it's nothing like that. My piano teacher has his doctorates in Chemical Engineering, worked for the Chemistry Dept. of the Uni I go to now, and said it really sucked. He was there for 16 years and said it was really stressful because you were always trying to secure grant money, and when there was no money, you had to pay out of your own pocket to try and get results so you could get more grant money.

>>7911473
I went back to college to finish a bachelors just so I could do this, but I ended up as a math major and I'm kind of worried that I won't be qualified because I don't do any humanities/teaching stuff.
>>
>>7911468
A HS STEM teacher with creds often gets paid more than junior faculty at a research institute.

Also, you'll still teach low IQ in college, rich kids sneak in, and there are plenty of reasons that people to go college for reasons other than academics (sports, non-academic accomplishments). If you are not shit at your job and field it is fine.
>>
>>7911475
He teaches Japanese kids in japan anon. They probably respect teachers and view education as a gift rather than a burden
>>
>>7914509
also, t b h, i'd rather a teacher's hours than nonstop research like my life now and having to constantly play the game with piece of shit administrators who know nothing.

I didn't go to business school because that shit's grimy, boring, and you have to talk about dumb shit that's usually a borderline lie to get people you hate interested enough in you for a fraction of a second so you can grab their money.

When I teach, it's so stress free. I walk in with notes i scribble down in 20 minutes and can teach for a week off them. Grading is mindless, you can have a beer and put on music, it's wonderful.
>>
>>7913193
>no one knows what a post doc is

Every goddamned time.
>>
>>7911558
That's not what you should be thinking about when someone says teaching.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.