[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We all known that practice creates skill. But isn't skill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: clock1.jpg (18 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
clock1.jpg
18 KB, 250x250
We all known that practice creates skill.

But isn't skill what *allows* practice?

Most people aren't able to long routines of practice simply because they don't get any better and its frustrating.

Talented people get a lot of progress in training so that it becomes exciting.

I think this applies to everything, including studies.

Suggesting people to study hard despite lack of progress is kind of ruining their life.
>>
>>7909950
>Most people aren't able to long routines of practice simply because they don't get any better and its frustrating.

that isn't practice. practice involves self criticism and analysis of what went wrong and how to do it better. not just beating your face against something for some arbitrary amount of time.
>>
>>7909950
>bawwww, studying is hard and I can never get better so why even try
How about you actually try different methods of studying? Do you honestly believe that people can only improve at what they were naturally talented at in the first place? People get better at things by staying determined even when their limitations come into play. Suck it up and stop pitying yourself just because life is hard.
>>
>>7909950
it kind of goes both ways

practice definitely makes you better at a skill, but getting better gives you motivation to practice.

I play guitar and was terrible at it for a long time. I never wanted to practice because I couldn't translate the music in my head to the guitar and my phrasing was poor & choppy. I kept practicing and tried to learn new ways to express my ideas (learned new scales, rhythm, not rigidly following said scales, keys) while playing to a metronome and my playing improved a lot. Now I enjoy playing my guitar because I'm not limited.

if you're hitting a dead end in practicing something, you need to approach the problem differently and figure out what's giving you trouble.
>>
>>7909950
The hardest part about studying something hard is actually analysing what you are doing and how are you improving. Just going at something without a deeper thought is actually easy.
There are for example people who study something by rote learning and memorising. They might spend whole day memorising stuff. It is tiring and boring, but not hard. Thinking is hard. There were couple of times I would basically memorise mathematical derivations for exams, because it was an easier thing to do.
Same goes with piano etc. playing. You might play something for hours and not improve. You might play for one hour, carefully analyse what's going on and learn a lot. But again, it is really tiring for the brain muscle.
>>
Is this supposed to be about Psychology? You're forgetting modern Psych is all bullshit statistical models and pseudo intellectualization
>>
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=neurology+of+learning&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart
https://sci-hub.io/
>>
^Here's a better link, may not work on mobile. http://libgen.io/search.php?req=learning+neurology&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def
>>
>>7909950
OP you should look into the difference between 'autopilot' practice and deliberate practice.
>>
>>7910098
>But again, it is really tiring for the brain muscle.

The brain is not a muscle.
>>
File: 1442263115014.jpg (168 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1442263115014.jpg
168 KB, 1024x768
Learn self discipline. There's plenty of books on this. It literally took me 3 days to get into a self disciplined routine. Pic related was about what my room looked like before I started. I would sit at home literally all day smoking weed, fapping and shitposting. If I, a community college drop out with a dysfunctional family, can go from being a slob to having self discipline than anyone can.
You're just creating excuses for why you can't do what you need to do to work hard.

I suggest "No Excuses: The Power to Self Discipline" simply because it's the book I used. I'm sure there's better books with better methods out there however.
>>
>>7910624
Dude that pic is comfy AF
>>
File: 1428019349687.jpg (2 MB, 3333x2222) Image search: [Google]
1428019349687.jpg
2 MB, 3333x2222
>>7910679
This is far comfier.
>>
>>7910624
>self-help garbage

Take your pseudo-scientific shit back to /adv/.
>>
>>7910708
Oh, there's a scientific method to having self discipline now? Citations needed.
>>
>>7910708
People like you are the worst.
>>
>>7910612
Please come down the front to accept your Nobel Prize in medicine
>>
>>7910710
Define self discipline.
>>7910719
This board is for discussing math and science. Advice goes to >>>/adv/
>>
>>7910752
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/self–discipline
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/self-discipline
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/self-discipline
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/self-discipline
Pic the definition you want. Now are you going to give those citations?
>>
>>7910769

None of these definitions are rigorous. Without rigorous definitions there is no science.
>>
>>7910790
Not same person. It's called Behavioral Neuroscience or Human Ethology faggot
>>
>>7910790
>Etymology
>A science
Science worshipping kiddies are this retarded
>>
>>7910799

Give me a commonly accepted definition of self-regulation that doesn't involve any subjective nonsense such as "beliefs" or "motives".
>>
>>7910816
Not him, but if you were doing a study with a term that has a loose definition in English one of the first things you would do is provide a definition to remove any ambiguity.

>>7910752
And /o/ is about cars. Are you going to suggest advice about fixing or driving cars should go to /adv/? Something both Maths and Science has in common is a foundation in logic. Perhaps you should hone that skill before you post here, especially with a tripcode.
>>
>>7910809
In this thread: people who failed biology class or never dated a biologist
>>
>>7910844
I don't remember self-discipline ever being a part of my highschool biology class. Mind going into detail?
>>
>>7910859
Yeah, it's not in high school science class, but higher bio classes touch upon Neuroscience and Ethology at least a little.

But even HS bio usually talks about the brain as an organ, thus mediated by biological phenomena, and most HS bio classes discuss nurture/nature material too. At least nowadays
>>
>>7910869
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious. Honestly I forgot most of the things I learned in biology, other than the basic stuff that was also covered in health, such as the location of major organs.
>>
>>7910879
My HS bio class (2012)? Covered:
- evo
- biological determinism debates
- social effects of Darwinism
- taxonomies / classification
- common organs
- the cell /common organelles
- microscopes (history, use, etc.)
- human anatomy / neurology
- SEXUAL REPRODUCTION
- other modes of reproduction
and other things that I'm sure I forgot
>>
Same as above: the only thing I think my HS bio teacher got wrong was basic virology
>>
>>7909950
>ainnit teh skill whut *allows* teh practice
wat
>>
>>7911555
lol
>>
>>7911555
I'm right.

Start playing guitar and you will know what is to get ridiculously low progress in a long time.

Talented players progress fast can can endure 6 hours/day of pratice
>>
>>7909950
I have that clock.
>>
>>7912076
?
>>
>>7909950
>is kind of ruining their life.
Why is this a bad thing?
>>
>>7910003
can you improve reflexes? working memory? long-term and short-term memory? attention span?
these are all things you are born with and can't change
>>
>Talented people
Talented people are talented because they spend their free time practicing and getting better.

People who don't get better after practicing are either athletes, where people actually do have genetic walls they can't surpass, or are dumbasses that think repeating the same process incorrectly with zero self-reflection will result in magical improvement.

In general, the better you are at studying things on your own, the easier it is for you to pick up new talents.
>>
>>7914124
>can you improve reflexes? working memory? long-term and short-term memory? attention span?
>these are all things you are born with and can't change

Are you fucking retarded?
If you have two identical twins and put one in front of a TV screen to watch cartoons, and another in a library and try to teach them to memorize and learn as much as they can, the difference is going to be evident.

That you don't think you can train or improve your memory, reflexes or attention shows how unbelievably lazy you are and least likely to try.

Do you seriously think baseball players can react to 90 Mph because evolution gave them "Ball-swinging Genes" at birth?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.