[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is bear fur so comfy and warm? Also general why didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 563x565) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 563x565
Why is bear fur so comfy and warm?

Also general why didn't white people and eskimos evolve with furs to survive cold climates thread.
>>
natural selection doesnt evolve for "best possible", it evolves for "good enough does the job"

funny you should say comfy, my blanket is a polar bear
>>
They didn't evolve with them, because, they weren't needed... We just steal the fur right from an animals back, so we don't have to waste energy having our bodies doing it, instead, we use that energy for our brains.
>>
File: Bears and box.jpg (110 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Bears and box.jpg
110 KB, 700x525
Related question:
Why do humans think bears are cute? It seems more natural to be afraid of them.
>>
>>7907290
>Why do humans think bears are cute? It seems more natural to be afraid of them.

Why not both?
>>
>>7907290
I always thought it was just an association, people grow up with cuddly furry things (think dogs). Which leads them to an emotional response when ever they see something like a bear, a big furry thing that seems cuddly as fuck.

>But anon, I never had a pet but I still find bears, lions, tigers, etc. to be cute as shit.

It might be the association works backwards with you, being hit with TV shows when you were younger (Winnie the Pooh) might lead you to have the association that bears and other large animals are cute as fuck.

That said I'm pretty much making it up as I go along.
>>
>>7907342
Yeah, I grew up with Winnie the Pooh, I've always thought bears are cute.

IRL they are scary as fuck, once you've come close to them you reconsider exactly how cute they are.

Maybe it was the bears behind Winnie the Pooh and the ongoing 'bears are cute and cuddly' meme. You know, to make us easier to kill. . . .
>>
>>7907414

I thought bears were cute until The Revenant

Polar bears are still kawaii tho
>>
File: 1445346634377.jpg (17 KB, 350x248) Image search: [Google]
1445346634377.jpg
17 KB, 350x248
>>7907707
>Polar Bears
>kawaii
>>
>>7906673
Silly answer is: because the polar bears needed warm fur. The technical answer I am not sure about but I guess the structure might be something like reindeer fur where each hair is actually a hollow tube rather than a solid strand. That improves insulation and also makes it soft and fluffy.

White people have not had time to adapt to the cold. The only reason people survive in the Nordic countries is that we respect nature and put on sufficient clothing. Macho tourists are routinely rescued around here. NATO does winter training in Norway and many foreign soldiers have been sent home in coffins since they failed to take what we call basic steps to survive.

Asians, however, is a different kettle of fish. The yellow hue is caused by a sub cutaneous fat layer that gives them a good protection against the cold. Also the epicanthic fold is a protection against the cold.

>>7906675
>my blanket is a polar bear
A whole bear?? I thought these were grumpy beasts.

>>7907290
Small fluffy animals trigger responses in humans to take care of it. baby bears are cute IRL. Adult bears are certainly not.

Human capacity for empathy and care is strange and uneven and can even extend to inanimate things like robot vacuum cleaners. Seriously. People have demanded their Roombas to be repaired, not junked for a new one.
>>
>>7909238
>Adult bears are certainly not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLaixTG2sSc
>>
>>7910582
Your splendid proof of something was just deleted on YouTube. Please try again.
>>
>>7906673
because unlike most animals, if someone were ever explained "so yeah about 95%+ of you must die off in favor of a future gene pool being selective and pure to a shit ton of fur" to a human, they are going to say "fuck that, why not just wear a coat? or build a fire?". this is why.
>>
>>7909238
>>7910582
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7rZTZBOrqQ

Say what you like, I want to cuddle that thing.
>>
>Also general why didn't white people and eskimos evolve with furs to survive cold climates thread.

that's not how evolution works
>>
>>7913471
Could you elaborate on why he's wrong?
>>
>>7906673
Same reason hermit crabs don't evolve shells.
>>
Because humans evolved clothes instead.
>>
>>7913500
op is not wrong. It's so off, it doesn't even qualify as wrong.
>>
>>7913500
ok, why would they evolve with furs?

The question implies that having thick fur is the most efficient way of dealing with cold climates, which is not necessarily true, it's just what ended up happening to a lot of species that live in those areas.

And even if it was, evolution and natural selection are blind to what's most efficient or logical(by your standards), it's more about throwing everything you can on a wall and seeing what sticks.
>>
>>7913553
>And even if it was, evolution and natural selection are blind to what's most efficient or logical(by your standards), it's more about throwing everything you can on a wall and seeing what sticks.
So that means OP isn't stupid. The way you're putting it, fur could've been a valid possibility.
>>
>>7913557
I never said he was stupid. I said that (maybe) he misunderstands how evolution works.

Fur could have been a valid possibility, sure, but asking "why not fur" leads to any number of "why not x" questions, since you could then start thinking about how the perfect species for that climate would look like, and why doesn't every species that live there have all those traits.

I guess at the end of the day, the answer is "random chance". Or you could look at the migration of early human species to see when they first actually arrived in these really cold areas, which is actually not that long ago(40000 years ago for places like arctic russia).

Such a massive change like growing thick fur would take longer than that to accomplish. By then, we were also intelligent enough that the harsh climate was not much of an evolutionary pressure, our brains could do the job and help us find a way to survive.
>>
>>7913580
Makes sense.
>>
>>7906673
1) because bears want to be comfy and warm, but their environment is uncomfy and cold.

2) evolution has no goal
>>
>>7913465
Yeah I am going into partial cute overload but I am also quite aware that these are dangerous. I wonder how they keep this polar bear tranquil.

The speed it leaped out of the water was rather impressive.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.