[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /sci/ think about Bell Labs? What is today's Bell Labs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-03-03-163919_595x91_scrot.png (16 KB, 595x91) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-03-163919_595x91_scrot.png
16 KB, 595x91
What does /sci/ think about Bell Labs? What is today's Bell Labs?
>>
>>7904611

>What does /sci/ think about Bell Labs?

They were very good.

>What is today's Bell Labs?

Google is going to be the next Bell Labs.
>>
>>7904619
>>Google is going to be the next Bell Labs.
Yeah, except Bell Labs were not stealing information, and generally being super sketchy.
>>
>>7904619

I dont think so
>tfw Google has fallen from the light, and is now a dishonest moneygrubbing corporation like all the others

she had so much promise...
>>
>>7904668
They've never "fallen from the light". They win all ML contests, they have top tier researchers, DeepMind, etc.

No one else is close to their research power
>>
>>7904668
>>7904678

A part of me died when they removed "Dont Be Evil" from their company policy after a corporate reshuffle last year.
>>
>>7904625
>stealing information
My understanding is they only use the information to train algorithms and then discard it. I don't think they would even have the capacity to store the amount of information they process.

>>7904611
Bell labs were awesome. It's a shame that bitch Fiorina fucked it up.

http://www.treasurymeninaction.com/how-carly-fiorina-destroyed-bell-labs/
>>
>>7904625
>>7904668
What are you talking about? We're talking about research capabilities, not if a company is ethical. Once you get down to it I'm sure no company is. It's just their nature.
>>
>>7904689
Bell Labs' main incentive was not monetizing their discoveries though. Google is too much of a corporation. Though in terms of research power, I suppose Google will be the replacement
>>
>>7904689

Corporations want a sellable product
Laboratories want the beauty of discovery
>>
>>7904703
>Bell Labs' main incentive was not monetizing their discoveries though.
Neither is Google's. Their research in to self-driving cars is to help save millions of lives that get killed in traffic accidents. It's research into aging is to save millions of people that die early, etc. I'm sure Bells Labs was the same. No company is going to market their research as something that they are doing only so they can make more cash.
>>
>>7904611
My favorite thing about the inventor of the transistor is his quote where he basically says that his largest regret was its influence in the rise of rock n roll.
>>
>>7904683
It's still in the Google Code of Conduct. Alphabet now has "Do the Right Thing" as their slogan.
>>
>>7904718
>>Neither is Google's. Their research in to self-driving cars is to help save millions of lives that get killed in traffic accidents. It's research into aging is to save millions of people that die early,
Umm, these are excellent side effects for sure, but that doesn't mean Google isn't incentivised mainly by the business opportunity. It's a company, and it needs to make money for the investors, there's no "saving the planet" mantra
>>
>>7904729
Top kek.
>>
>>7904625
>stealing information
It's all in the privacy statement :^)
>>
>>7904735
Well duh. Buy every company is like that, that is my whole point. Why should Google get all the blame? If anything they are one of the most ethical of the companies, as far as that is possible for any company
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zDuOPkMSw

http://paulgraham.com/hamming.html
>>
>>7904625
Probably sketchy as fuck, but let's get real, all basic inventions have occurred and all future inventions must be based on and involve other previous inventions. I think this is the success of the Japanese and Chinese today, refinement of inventions of inventions. This is why global IP law and stagnation is rising, along with big data I suppose. The final invention is knowing what everyone is thinking all the time perhaps. Google or MS could very well be the largest inventors of the future because they may even know what people are thinking before they are even thinking it.
>>
>>7904745
I think the point is that Bell Labs was a laboratory, not a company and their core values differ, even if the outcome happens to be similar
>>
>>7904752
>Bell Laboratories (also termed Bell Labs and formerly named AT&T Bell Laboratories and Bell Telephone Laboratories) is a research and scientific development company that now belongs to Nokia.
>>
>>7904730
Google is a perfectly acceptable company. Tax evasion aside, they're really trying to make the future bright. Google Fiber, Project Soil, Google Fi, Project Loon, etc.

These are developments that will change how we use technology and how we access the internet.
>>
>>7904758
>still pretending not to get it and focusing on terminology
>>
>>7904668
>implying they were ever "in the light"
>falling for their PR campaign
lel
>>
>>7904767
Are you retarded on purpose? Where do you think it's budget research came from? God? Thin air? For the most of it's life Bell Labs was owned and sponsored by a company to do research so the company owning it can make profit from it. Google owns several such research 'labs'. While their mission and purpose if of course non-profit, their income comes from Google and Google stands to make profit from any achievements.
>>
>>7904774
There's a difference in their philosophy that you continue to fail to acknowledge
>>
>>7904777
Please do enlighten me. Google's philosophy is to do now evil. I'm sure they held up to their part.
>>
>>7904611
>You weren't alive at the time 'CS' was an actual science

I'm not even CS and it feels bad man. I would have loved to work there.
>>
>>7904783
Maybe read this article and contrast it with Google's principles. http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/bell.pdf

Google is simply too big, too varied, too focussed on money, on marketing, on PR, on corporatism. Maybe a different subsidiary of Alphabet will be passed on the torch from Bell Labs, but not Google. Maybe Calico or Nest Labs or X
>>
>>7904804
>Maybe a different subsidiary of Alphabet

Kek, obviously people mean Alphabet when they say "Google"
>>
>>7904817
google is quite a loaded word nowadays
>>
>>7904804
>http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/bell.pdf
Sounds like DeepMind ;)
>>
>>7904804
You're in love with the idea of what Bell Labs is, not the actual Bell Labs itself. It was an industrial research lab, that accomplished some great things nothing else nothing more. It wasn't some magical place where people are LSD and shat research and inventions out or some thing. Same thing can and does happne today. And if you look at what Google, or Alphabet if you wish, has accomplished, I'm sure you would agree.
>>
Google even employs Bell labs people like Rob Pike and Kernighan
>>
>>7904831
Except Bell Labs was part of a state sanctioned monopoly releasing major works in public domain such as Unix and C, and Google is a publicly traded company that has to maximize profit for the shareholders
>>
lmao

what exactly did Google do so fundamental to compare them to Bell Labs? Go? Compared to C, it's ust another language in the sea of new languages. Android? it doesn't hold a candle to Unix. nothing that google has done compares to _fundamental_ discoveries such as the transistor, the laser, wifi, ccd, etc.

what did google do again?
>>
>>7904864
We all acknowledge the superiority of Bell Labs. We're trying to find the best present day candidate for Bell Labs, and so far anyone's best guess is Google. The real question is what has Google done that's _fundamental_ compared to other present day research 'labs'.
>>
>>7904887
IBM?
>IBM has 12 research laboratories worldwide, bundled into IBM Research. As of 2013 the company held the record for most patents generated by a business for 22 consecutive years.[16] Its employees have garnered five Nobel Prizes, six Turing Awards, ten National Medals of Technology and five National Medals of Science.[17] Notable company inventions or developments include the automated teller machine (ATM), the floppy disk, the hard disk drive, the magnetic stripe card, the relational database, the Universal Product Code (UPC), the financial swap, the Fortran programming language, SABRE airline reservation system, dynamic random-access memory (DRAM), copper wiring in semiconductors, the silicon-on-insulator (SOI) semiconductor manufacturing process, and Watson artificial intelligence.
>>
>>7904910
I forgot IBM even exists anymore. Aren't all of those inventions decades old? It was probably a competitor of Bell Labs, but I don't believe IBM is relevant today.
>>
>>7904917
IBM makes about 20 billion dollars every quarter but they are in decline. Still, 20 billion dollars are 20 billion dollars.
>>
>>7904917
IBM is relevant today if you actually stay informed and aren't a Google drone.

IBM's target consumers are enterprises and researchers so most plebs don't know anything about them.
>>
>>7904930
So what are some recent IBM milestones?
>>
>>7904933
Earning 20 billion dollars per quarter more than you will make in your entire life.
>>
>>7904970
Reserach milestone dummy
>>
>>7904972
Currently top math PhDs are researching those 20 billion dollars. Their paper is titled 'How many prostitutes can I fuck with this money'.
>>
>>7904979
>nothing
Gotcha
>>
>>7904979
The answer is 0. Once you travel one to a prostitue, you have to travel one fourth, then one eight, and so on. You would never actually reach her
>>
>>7904970
I wouldn't consider selling servers to other companies and making huge bucks, a great milestone in research and development.
>>
lol google has an advertising system and a site to search things for, send/receive email and watch videos, some phones.. that's it. Everything else has been videos and PR. google has "self driving cars" just like amazon has "drones delivery" and ibm has "internet of things". aka they have jackshit besides pretty videos for idiots
>>
>>7904996
Someone just watched CollegeHumor.com!

XDDD WELL MEMED BY FRIEND UPVOTE, REBLOG AND RETWEET
>>
HURR DURR APPLE OBVIOUSLY SENPAI DURR
>>
>>7904996
Somehow because something has a video of it and is in the media it is not real. Did not know that.
>>
>>7904996
Amazon has released quite a bunch of stuff recently http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/03/amazon-announces-two-new-alexa-powered-devices-the-echo-dot-and-amazon-tap/
>>
>>7905005
found the idiot
>>
>>7905011
Don't ever fucking reply to me again unless you have something to contribute to the thread.
>>
>>7905020
lol bitch
>>
>>7904987
go away zeno! Oh wait, you can't! top kek
you'd have to go half away first and 1/4th away before that and so on
>>
>>7905058
Kek
>>
>>7904987
>Not knowing that mathematicians already solved this paradox

The infinite sum described in Zeno's paradox equals 2 and 2 is a finite distance so of course you would reach her.

Where have you been the last 5000 years?
>>
>>7904730
>>
File: Skärmklipp (2).png (134 KB, 713x532) Image search: [Google]
Skärmklipp (2).png
134 KB, 713x532
>>7904611
bell_labs.png
>>
File: msra.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
msra.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>7904678
>They win all ML contests

hahahaha no. Microsoft absolutely obliterated all competition this year.

They won 194/200 categories won at LSVRC with the deepest CNN ever trained. It literally HALVED googLenet's imageNet error, pic related.

results: http://image-net.org/challenges/LSVRC/2015/results

paper: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/kahe/ilsvrc15/ilsvrc2015_deep_residual_learning_kaiminghe.pdf

Seriously though, I know I'm rambling and this isn't relevant to the thread at all, but this paper is REALLY cool and will prob be one of the most important ML papers of the 2010s.
>>
>>7906491
>152 layers
lol/10
>>
>>7906491
>paper
>it's a powerpoint slideshow
:^)
>>
>>7906642
Don't underestimate the power of slides
>>
>>7906720
that doesn't make them research papers silly
>>
>>7906721
No, of course not. 't was a jokhe
>>
>>7904678
Google corporate bootlicker detected
>>
>>7904689
*they all do it* defence discarded
>>
>>7904761
>Tax evasion aside, they're criminals anyway
FTFY
>>
>>7904611
None of these are truly important. I would say that the Rothschild family has contributed more to humanity.
>>
>>7904783
>Google's philosophy is to do now evil.
That was years ago, now it's DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO MONETIZE
>>
>>7904730
"Do the Right Thing" is a lot different. Sounds like something you'd hear from a trickster villain.
>>
>>7906781
It's in the nature of a company to be parasitic to stay afloat. Profit = lifeblood
>>
>>7904970
>>7904930
>>7904927
kek

>Reports Coming in of Big IBM Layoffs Underway in the U.S.

>“It is bad, really bad. It’s a mass layoff today. It is a sad day for IBM. People are being told not to talk about it. I was told by a manager in getting the news [of my job being eliminated], who was reading off of a script, that one third of the U.S. workforce is being ‘rebalanced,’ which is what they call it.
>>
>>7904718
They started research on self driving cars because the people who worked in the California office were tired of driving there each day. I'm not kidding. Yeah it does have good uses and it's a great idea but that's not why they started it.
>>
>>7906911
Actually I've heard the engineer speak how he had someone died in a car crash, and how he wants to prevent that in the future
>>
>>7906961
>the engineer
>>
>>7906969
Yes. Google as a company consists of workers and some of them are *GASP* engineers.
>>
>>7906974
that engineer is not the guy who's funding the project fuckwit. we weren't talking about the motivation of each individual that are working on the project
>>
>>7906975
So? That is his motivation. That is how it's marketed, by those funding it. That's how it is. You can make out your tinfoilhat theory to be whatever you want it to be.
>>
>>7906979
k tard just stop posting
>>
>>7906980
Don't ever fucking reply to me again unless you have something to contribute to the thread.
>>
>>7904683
That's a deep shame. Guess they decided that policy was holding them back.
>>
>>7904843
But Google publishes tons of research. And open sourced lots of tools.
>>
>>7906491
Got half the error rate in 7x layers. OK
>>
>>7907446
>thinks it's only about the # of layers
>>
>>7904611
>What is today's Bell Labs?

CSIRO
>>
>>7909025
>something that only australia has heard of
i don't think so
>>
currently interning there, ama
>>
>>7909527
interning where?
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.