[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Painkillers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (15 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15 KB, 275x183
What are some 'safe' painkillers?
>>
>>7897711
I've heard some people cut their arms to kill the pain of existence.

Pretty safe if you do it right.
>>
None and any.
Vague questions get vague answers.
>>
Opioids and opiates
>>
>>7897711
I.V. Heroin is quite safe
>>
>>7897744
If it's pure
>>
>>7897741
Most any pills are bad for you to some degree. That's why I said 'safe'. I was trying to avoid answers such as these >>7897742
>>7897744
>>
>>7897746
Ok Heisenberg
>>
>>7897711
Kratom can be effective, it has opiate like effects but you don't develop such a strong tolerance with continuous use. Personally i feel that stuff like ibuprofen hardly has any effect at all.
>>
>>7897750
Opioids are generally very safe, as long as you don't OD.
>>
>>7897750
Answer is none then.

Opiods are fine if you don't abuse them and use them therapeutically.
>>
>>7897756
>Opiods are fine if you don't abuse them and use them therapeutically.
Shit didn't know that. Was going at this with a preconceived notion that 'drugs are bad mkay'
>>
>>7897755
>as long as you don't OD.
Erm..how do I make sure I don't do that?
>>
>>7897777
Measure your dose and don't get it from shady places. Be careful with tolerance.
>>
>>7897711
morphine is quite good
>>
>>7897783
Thnx o wise totally-not-a-drugdealer anon
>>
>>7897793
>morphine
>quite good
Yea that's what I'm afraid of
>>
>>7897711
Celebrex
>>
>>7897711
ibuprofen

no painkiller is "safe" everything has side effects, if you have a booboo, man the fuck up
>>
>>7897711

Ibuprofen and naproxen have the best safety profiles for NSAIDs. Ibuprofen is your best bet for over-the-counter since naproxen is PoM and your other choice is aspirin, which has a slightly higher risk of GI bleeding (but lower risk of thombotic events). Don't take for more than 3 days without consulting PCP since long term use increases risk of adverse drug reactions, and follow dosage info on product literature

For mild-moderate noninflammatory pain go with paracetamol (acetaminophen/Tylenol). Very safe if dosages are correct; US products tend to have the antidote in the tablets, making overdose unlikely.

For severe pain there are a few options: opiates are the go-to but cause respiratory depression and are a drug of dependence, and tolerance builds up quickly, so they can be fairly dangerous if misused/abused. Ketamine is fantastic, being a disassociative, but there are some issues with transient psychotic effects; it should also be avoided in head trauma and penetrating eye trauma. This is also a common drug of abuse and can cause dependence, but tolerance is rare.

You could go with self-administered analgesia such as fentanyl pens or entonox (50-50 mixture of N2O/O2) and these tend to be extremely safe when contra-indications are followed.

All in all, though, if it's not over-the-counter and you're unfamiliar with it, just don't touch it. The laws are such for a reason
>>
File: Glock_18c.jpg (205 KB, 996x710) Image search: [Google]
Glock_18c.jpg
205 KB, 996x710
this usually works
>>
>>7899424
Wow that's a highly informative post. Thnx
>>
>>7897711
Death
>>
>>7899488

If you have any particular questions I'm happy to answer. It may take some time since I'm posting on my phone, however.
>>
>>7899491
Any particular recommendation for headaches and muscles relaxing? I have mayor headaches and I have some eye issues, which forces my eye muscles to work really hard. My eyes get extremely painful and iritated and all the surrounding area hurts. My orthoptist gave me glasses with prism but that's caused even more issues. We are still trying to resolve this, but in the meantime my head is killing me.
>>
>>7897711
Perhaps stop walking into pain would work for ya?
>>
>>7899503

Headaches are a tough one really. Paracetamol is your best bet to start with, but it's only going to drop your pain by 2-3 points on a 10-point scale at best. For eye stuff its the non-drug techniques that will help most: eye exercises with eye drops, relaxing in a dark room, laying back and looking at stars etc. I'm afraid there's not much else I can advise you on; I'd suggest speaking to your primary care physician if it's impacting your daily life and seeing if he'll refer you to opthamology and try you on other drugs.
>>
File: 0198529171.prednisone.1.jpg (53 KB, 520x300) Image search: [Google]
0198529171.prednisone.1.jpg
53 KB, 520x300
>>7899503
>>
>>7899533
Already been to a GP and an eye doctor, but so far they haven't managed to help me. I guess I have no choice but to keep trying since it's interfering with my daily life more and more. Anyways you've done more that I could have asked for, or indeed even expected, when I made the thread. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>7899544

Just keep hammering it in to your GP, maybe get a referral to the pain clinic. If I had a penny for every GP that took an age to make the right referrals...

Anyway good luck anon, hope you get it sorted.
>>
>>7899556
Also thanks again. You can't imagine what this information means. I've been fearing going to my GP (silly i know)cause I thought it would be futile. He tried to help me and it didn't work. The fact that they don't get things right at first and that I should keep trying until they do is of great importance.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.