[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gotta write a 6 page essay about the socio-economic impact AI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 1456201522259.jpg (130 KB, 1005x566) Image search: [Google]
1456201522259.jpg
130 KB, 1005x566
Gotta write a 6 page essay about the socio-economic impact AI will have.
Does /Sci/ any useful thoughts, insights or opinions?
>>
>>7897084
does is matter? when the AI takes over, that paper isn't gonna mean shit to a logical, utilitarian mind set to make the world efficient.
>>
>>7897084
AI won't ever happen. It's a singularityfag pipe dream.
>>
>>7897084
All the power and money will go to the owner of the AIs, meanwhile most of the population won't be able to sell their subpar labour at competitive prices.
>>
>>7897098
I know it's bullshit but give me some diffrent bullshit to write....
Pls goys.
>>
>>7897098
I hate it when you guys try into politics. Just stick to calculating pi to the nth digit.
>>
>>7897084
>Consider a world, where we can create AI at human level which has consciousness and is self-aware.
>Obviously this world is crucially different than ours and any observation in such a world is worth nothing for our world.
>Thus I hope you enjoy the next 6 pages of a more realistic topic: What would the socio-economic impact of a video of Daisy Ridley getting spitroasted by JJ and Lucas?
>>
Automation is allready devaluing most labor.
>>
if were talking ai that's submissive to humans, the companies that create the ai will be a rich, new super power. Companies that can use ai will become richer due to less labor cost. Poverty will be more wide spread as however jobs creating ai makes, many more will be gone due to ai efficiency. Everything else, in terms of an economic standpoint, will be more or less the same
>>
>>7897084
It won't happen. Strong A.I is a meme just like zombies.
>>
File: 1449959428732.jpg (29 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
1449959428732.jpg
29 KB, 500x318
>>7898700
>Efficiency leads to poverty

Also write your own homework OP.
>>
>>7898706
It would create jobs for those who make the ai, but take away a massive amount more of (presumably) labor jobs. those out of jobs would most definitely be more prone to poverty then without the ai. the efficiency, and therefore more profits, would be reaped by the corporate business class.
>>
>>7898721
A shift in the job market would cause temporary instability. Certain people would be unable to transition to an equal place in a changed society, and would be worse off. However, the net gain from an increase in productivity would be far greater than any of the personal stories of loss.

See the industrial revolution.
>>
File: AI.png (262 KB, 697x534) Image search: [Google]
AI.png
262 KB, 697x534
>>7897084
>>
>>7897094
>Talking instantaneously with some faggot halfway across the world? It won't ever happen, it's a mere fantasy procured by the mentally ill
This is you.
>>
>>7897084

Like most undergrad work, the reflection that you are being prompted to write is not seriously intended for you as a prompt to say anything original or interesting on the subject itself. If you can manage to do so, then that's very welcome, but it isn't expected.

Rather, the prompt is an invitation for you to complete yet another assignment which tests your capacities which are relevant both to general intelligence and also to academic inquiry, described now from simplest to most complex: can you construct proper English sentences? Can you cite sources properly? Can you construct an extended, monologue train of thought (essay) which conveys a cohesive and central narrative point, or "thesis"? Can you do so while illustrating multiple supporting facets of your problem (you don't really have to do this for your thing, but it's a good idea to keep in mind)?

Your real opinion on the topic is not being sought, or: /expected/, though if you could say something original, it would be welcome. Instead, you are being evaluated on your ability to work in multiple fact-based and rhetorical directions, and to communicate same in an intellectually honest manner, which means: no plagarism. Academics, being perverts, will excuse communism, pedophilia, violent crime in the subjects of whatever their criminology study is focused on at the moment, the misdeeds of the dead, and even fascism when it suits them. But if you bite somebody's shit, this is the thing that cannot be tolerated. Because it is /intellectually/ dishonest, and this transgression goes to the heart of their product.
>>
>>7898757
Have you actually read that book anon?

I have it right here beside me. It has like 3 entire goddamn pages about ai risk/super intelligence. It even cites eliezer fucking yudkowsky, the king of wild speculation about AI. Pic related.

Of all the textbooks they could have put in that stupid picture, why pick one that actively endorses the speculation it condemns?

It makes me reallyy suspicious that anons posting that pic have never actually read the book, or even leafed through it. Fucking /sci/
>>
File: 1456481696571.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
1456481696571.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>7898777
>>7898777
Pic related
>>
>>7898757
>>7898757
>Title is 'A modern approach'
>It's outdated as fuck
>>
>>7898777
>Philosophical Foundations

Who in their right mind would read that chapter?
>>
>>7897167
good

CSfag uber alles
>>
>>7897084
You should ask /x/
I'm sure they'll have some wonderful insight :^)
>>
>>7897084
I have an opinion on this.

Humans will party all day while our AI slaves work

also,the human race doesn't procreate enough to get to the next generation.

nah,just fucking around,I say you should write about how this AI workforce will be able to be sustained by itself,It is AI after all
>>
>>7898706
That mickey guy will lose his job since then 99.9999999% of people working are AI.

that 00.0000001 is the CEO
>>
>>7898735
Ah yes,perfect analogy,NOT.automation still needs people but AI can simply create more of itself but oh well,we need to make an AI fist then we can have this discussion
>>
>>7898787
liberal arts undergrad
>>
>>7898757
One book is what you formulate your opinion from? Damn,I've seen that before
>>
>>7898815
It's not even the proper interpretation of the book, see >>7898777
>>7898782
>>
>>7898735
the industrial revolution is a bad example because eventually, ai will be able to build more ai. The industrial revolution brought more long term jobs because people had to build and operate the machines, which is contrary to the assumptions of what ai would be capable of, in this context.
>>
Assuming the ai is like factory robots and not mobile bipedal human replacements, a great deal of unemployment in manufacturing sectors ( possibly low level management ) followed by much much cheaper goods. Fluctuation in trade patterns around the world. developing economies would get fucked the hardest.
>>
>>7897098
If you don't have to pay workers then you sell it cheaper, and everyone can have creative fulfilling jobs, right sci?
>>
>>7900214
In the long run, the span of a few generations, probably, yes.
>>
>>7897129
plural is goyim you filthy goy
>>
>AI will have
Why not just look at its current impact?
>>
>>7900114
>developing economies would get fucked the hardest.

I'm not so sure... I think bigger, already developed economies would get hit hard... I think the poorest of the poor, and, developing nations will have it easier... I say this, because, they don't have nearly as much to replace, like workers and machines, as a fully developed one does. This ofc, hinges on their ability to buy the AI. I think they'd only be worse off, if they can't afford to purchase the new AI, to still be competitive.
>>
computers are stoopid

t. a stoopid cs undergrad
>>
>>7899942
t. Singularity fagg who hasn't read a book about machine learning.
>>
>>7900336

t. pessimistic machine learning fag who doesn't listen to Geoff Hinton or Shane Legg
>>
>>7900336
building what's known and improving are completely different.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.