[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of material would it yield if a metal was homogenously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: P10107032.jpg (616 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
P10107032.jpg
616 KB, 1984x1488
What kind of material would it yield if a metal was homogenously mixed with glass while both are molten?
Let's assume it's possible to achieve a homogenous mixture.
>>
'a metal'
>>
>>7890864
wouldn't they just separate?
>>
>>7890864
Google Uranium glass
>>
>>7890864
glass has traces of metal, take that as you will
>>
>>7890894
>uranium glass
Isn't the uranium in an oxide form and in fairly small quantities?
>>
>>7890890

Yes, they'd probably separate to two phases under equilibrium cooling.

However, I think a fast enough cooling could avoid this and result in a supersaturated solid solution.
>>
>>7890929
>supersaturated solid solution
What kind of properties would such a solution probably have in this case?
>>
>>7890940

I would guess that the structure would be amorphous, brittle and harder than usual glass.

You could look up metal glasses, i.e. metals with an amorphous structure (quite unusual and requires a cooling rate on the order of millions of Kelvins/second), which would probably be a part of your answer although I guess not really what you're looking for.

Also I'm kinda taking a pretty wild guess with most of this stuff here so take it with a grain of salt.
>>
Why isn't there a clear consensus on what happens? Why hasn't this been done? Is it a difficult process?
>>
Shot in the dark here but what are ceramics?
>>
>>7890864
Isn't that how we get colored glass?
>>
>>7891043
>What kind of material would it yield if a metal was homogenously mixed with glass while both are molten?
Yeah because colored glass has metal in it (Except the metal grills)
>>
>>7890864
It's hard comparing the boiling point of glass and metals are different.
>>
>>7891048
>>7891043
I was being sarcastic, so no.
>>
>>7891053
I am pretty sure brown glasses have iron in them
>>
You would.just get a ceramic. Glass is silicon dioxide metal is metal. So you have a metal a semiconductor and oxygen. You get probably a ceramic.
>>
>>7890864
You would form silicate minerals of some sort, depending on the metals present the ratio of silica to metal.

The glass while form silicate anions which will bond with the metals. The crystal structure will depend on the ratio of silica to metal as well as the ionic radii of the metal.
>>
>>7890864
metal has a crystal structure, while glass is amorphous, and it is also lighter than metal
so they'd most likely separate, and if not, the material would be total clusterfuck
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioabsorbable_metallic_glass

not what op was looking for but cool none the less

"Unlike traditional steel or titanium, this material dissolves in organisms at a rate of roughly 1 millimeter per month and is replaced with bone tissue. This speed can be adjusted by varying the content of zinc.[4]"
>>
>>7890864
assuming that you really try to seperate them, and you achive so in the micron level, having micron-level flakes/spehere of metal suspended in glass, you still have a glass.

99% of the time, glass doesn't even wet metal.

>>7891600
that's very interesting indeed.
>>
File: images-3.jpg (23 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
images-3.jpg
23 KB, 485x303
>>7890864
>What kind of material would it yield if a metal was homogenously mixed with chocolate while both are molten?
>Let's assume it's possible to achieve a homogenous mixture.
>>
>>7891630
Are you suggesting it's an arbitrary and stupid question?
>>
>>7891043
normally you add a small amount of a metal oxide into molten glass to obtain colored glass
>>
>>7890864
It depends on the metal being added. Also, at such high temperatures, the metal may form quite a lot of metal oxides, which are used in colouring glass and/or making different types of glass such as soda-lime glass, alumina glass, and borosilicate glass.
>>
>>7892253
I think he is.
>>
>>7891031

looks like you hit something tho
>>
>>7890864
go read an introductory text to engineered materials.
>>
damn op i keep finding cool shit while looking for relevant things

"Detonation nanodiamond (DND), also known as ultradispersed diamond (UDD), is diamond that originates from a detonation. When an oxygen-deficient explosive mixture of TNT/RDX is detonated in a closed chamber, diamond particles with a diameter of ca. 5 nm are formed at the front of detonation wave in the span of several microseconds."
>>
>>7892253
It's an interesting idea if you ask me
>>
I remember hearing about glass metals some years back, guess the name changed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_metal

Not quite what OP meant but also cool.
>>
Considering glass is not a solid, the material would be unstable.
>>
>>7895062
>glass is not a solid
Is this a troll post?
>>
>>7895111
glass is scientifically not a solid or a liquid if we're going by phases of matter. it's inbetween the two. not that anon btw.
>>
>>7890864
the left overs of iron smelting is literally this

>Slag is usually a mixture of metal oxides and silicon dioxide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slag
>>
>>7896785
I don't want the oxides.
>>
>>7890864
>All these stupid faggots suggesting the use of metal OXIDES

Glass is already a metal oxide you stupid faggots.
>>
>>7891630
The answer is obviously chocolate coins.
>>
>>7896779
Bullshit. Glass is a solid.
>muh supercooled liquid with ultra high viscosity meme
>>
File: 1454800380304.jpg (27 KB, 480x259) Image search: [Google]
1454800380304.jpg
27 KB, 480x259
>>7890864
>Let's assume it's possible to achieve a homogenous mixture.
why are you asking a question on which you preemptively impose an arbitary and false assumption?

>what would happen if we went faster than the speed of light?
>let's assume it's possible to achieve faster than light speed :^)

>what would happen if we were 20 feet tall?
>let's assume it's possible to grow up to 20 feet tall :^)

repeat ad absurdum

this is stupid, and worse than popsci
>>
>>7897051
Your FTL example is not comparable because it's a physical impossibility.
Surely it's not physically impossible to have a homogenous mixture of glass and metal, even though it might be currently impossible for humans to produce such a mixture with existing techniques.
You don't understand the point of the added degree of freedom in this question.
>>
>>7897051
>>7897176
Same shit with his "20 feet tall" thing.

The answer is you'd be very physically fucked up and probably die or be bedridden or something.
>>
>>7897185
So the mixture would be physically fucked up and probably die or be bedridden?
>>
>>7890864
>what is Gorilla glass
>>
>>7896779
>amorphous solids are liquids

"no"
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.