[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College Admissions, is Affirmative Action bullshit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 5
Hey /sci/,

Let's get a discussion about criteria for college admissions. I'm not from the US, so I don't really care personally, but I still find it interesting to discuss it. /pol/ can stay out.

So, does affirmative action increase racism? In my opinion, it absolutely must. Scenario:

You want a top engineer for some important project, and you have 4 applicants, all from MIT: White male/female, black male/female. Only by picking the White male can you be sure he was admitted by ability/talent alone. For all the others you can assume they are most probably inferior, especially employing a double minority (black fem), seems very dubious.

Without affirmative action - i.e.admission on ability alone, you don't need to apply any prejudice, since any black female that comes out of MIT must be equal to every white male. If they want to reduce the education inequality for minorities, wouldn't it suffice to just offer more minority scholarships?

Also, doesn't admitting on anything else but merit, necessarily harm the field? Wouldn't the right thing be to decide admission on admission exams alone?

I feel like the Unis in the US are trying to get political leverage under the banner of education, that would be pretty dishonest.
>>
Affirmative action is an enforced regulation. Some companies have a quota to fill their spots with females or minorities so they don't give an impression of being discriminant, doesn't matter if they are qualified for the job or not. So in any case of affirmative action is in use, you don't get to chose if you should hide them or not, you just have to.
>>
> opinion
discarded.

Yes, it is discriminatory towards certain races; whites and asians. This is an objective fact.
>>
>>7875292
Yup, AA completely delegitimatizes the degrees of people from preferential groups even if they are the best in their field. Now instead of them achieving something in a system based on merit alone their merit is open to questioning. AA shouldn't exist.
>>
>>7875302
I just googled and there does not seem to be any law in the US that enforces quotas in private companies.

So this shouldn't be an argument.
>>
>>7875292
>tfw veteran
>tfw you are a "protected class" under affirmative action

its pretty fucking great desu. i'm getting job offers for positions i know i don't deserve.
>>
>is Affirmative Action bullshit?
Yep, but I'll still take advantage of it because it benefits me.
>>
>>7875317

As I said, affirmative action is enforced by corporate heads to put on a friendlier face. In racially diverse countries it gives an odd impression if you walk into a company and every employee is white. Ofcourse it doesn't mean that they don't have the merit or they don't belong there, but they can easily be accused of discrimination on the basis that there are no minorities working there. So instead they add race and gender diversity to show people that their hiring process isn't discriminatory.

As much as I disagree with AA and think its unjust, if I had my own company I would definitely apply AA simply for appereance.
>>
>>7875321
I don't understand how getting something you know you don't deserve could feel good. Isn't the best feeling to get something good because you did good? Doesn't the former make the latter impossible?
>>
>>7875325
So would you knowingly offer an inferior service/product to thousands/millions of people simply so your company appears nicer? Sounds pretty amoral.
>>
>>7875327
i have something i can leverage to make a more secure future for myself and family. i'm not going to throw away a competitive advantage because of my pride.
>>
File: trek_2[1].jpg (31 KB, 620x314) Image search: [Google]
trek_2[1].jpg
31 KB, 620x314
>>7875334

It's not just for that reason alone. People with other ethnic backgrounds might not prefer to use the services of a completely white workforce. Doesn't matter if they think you're racist, or if they're racist and they don't like white people, but the point they might not. But adding racial and gender diversity will widen your target audience as more people can relate to your company and the people they interact with.
>>
>>7875334
it doesn't affect product or service quality. most of those AA positions are non-jobs where you pretty much just show up to collect a paycheck. you end up moving into management of all the other non-jobbers.

its just an added cost of doing business m8.
>>
>>7875341
It's self-actualisation, not pride. I wouldn't sell that. I hope killing becomes moral if I give some of the money to my family.

>>7875343
So you would knowingly sell an inferior product to sell it better? Do iPhone buyers know who made their phone? Your reasoning seems both incorrect and amoral.
>>
>>7875370
>spending money on non-jobs
>doesn't affect the quality of the product

Then it affects the value, which is just as bad for the consumer.
>>
Affirmative action is a failure and it is basically just screwing qualified people out of jobs/school admission.

I understand wanting to make sure no one is being discriminated against because of their race and it's a good idea but AA was implemented badly.

The best way would be to just not ask about race on a college admission. You can't accept/reject based on race if you don't know what race the applicant is. It will force you to choose based on merit. You can make an argument that people with "ethnic sounding names" may be discriminated against and that is possible although this system is still significantly better than AA even with that major flaw.

An even better system might be to take each application, hide the name, and assign a number instead. With no race and no name visible to the person checking the application it will eliminate any bias towards both race and name. The name won't of the applicant won't be revealed until they are accepted. Some kind of computer system can probably be designed to do this.

This is, in my opinion, the fairest way to eliminate any kind of bias in the college admission process. It may still produce disproportionate results, but you can be confident it's not due to intentional bias.
>>
>>7875384
Well iPhones are made by underpaid chinese workers and children but thats another matter. As for your question, yes I would rather hire unmerited people to make my product if it's going to generate profit by creating a friendlier and more diverse appereance. Although this only goes for very public companies where clients and other businessman walk in and out everyday where public relations is important. You wouldn't need to enforce AA on smaller companies or in companies where your workforce is literally seen by nobody. Like mechanical engineering perhaps.
>>
>>7875392
Sounds p. good, but I see a bit of a flaw there. So if you make your criteria based on CV f.e., Asian kids who have been pushed by their parents to do all sorts of extracurricular work will be rated much higher, than someone who might be genius, but never did any extracurricular work because of his environment.

To me, an admissions exam seems like the only way to judge people solely on their merit.
>>
>>7875292
Of course AA is bullshit, but a large portion of the population would have hurt feelings if 96% of people at the top schools were Asian or Jewish/White
>>
>>7875403
>Asian kids who have been pushed by their parents to do all sorts of extracurricular work will be rated much higher

And they deserve it.

>>7875403
>than someone who might be genius, but never did any extracurricular work because of his environment.

Fair enough but there is no shame in going to a lower rated university. Of course I don't mean pure shit, but anyone with average grades and something interesting to say in the essay/interview will get at a normal state school and get a decent education.
>>
I'm a white male and j thought I was going to get my ass AA'd because the grad school apps for California ask you whether you are a gender fluid trans butch-dike or not.

coincidentally, they are the only schools that accepted me so far. It's not as bad for grad school. Med schools it's definitely there. Idk about the workplace.
>>
>>7875317
>I just googled and there does not seem to be any law in the US that enforces quotas in private companies.
There's no official quota, but if you don't meet the unofficial quota, expect any discrimination claim made against you to succeed.

It's kind of like this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChQK8j6so8
...except 0 is the official minimum. Of course, the official minimum isn't the real minimum. If you don't meet the real minimum, all manner of bad things will happen to you. But don't call it a quota.
>>
>>7875412
>gender fluid

/sci/, can we agree that at the very least, gender fluid is complete bullshit?
>>
you know aside from native americans, there is no legal definition of race. if you guys are really that worried about it just check a different fucking box on your applications. its that easy.
>>
>>7875292
>is Affirmative Action bullshit
Yes. Affirmation is an emotional thing. It has no place in a civilized society because society isn't a thing that can feel personal emotions.
>>
>>7875399
>Well iPhones are made by underpaid chinese workers and children but thats another matter

*assembled. They are probably designed by mostly white and asian men. Yet they are bought by white and coloured women.
>>
>>7875409
>Extracurricular work should be more important to admissions than talent

I disagree. I think every faculty has an obligation towards their field. If they admit someone with an inferior talent the field will suffer. How much of his time in the past he invested in what is irreleveant here.

You might say it's a small thing overall, and it might be. Yet every great thing is an accumulation of many small things.
>>
>>7875403
That's more of an issue with how the college weights elements of the admission process rather than any kind of bias based on qualities about yourself you can't control.

That's an issue already and it's not something that will be created by simply not asking an applicant's race and masking their name.

I'm not sure the general college admission process should weight exams as high as you would. But perhaps after you are accepted you have to take an entrance exam for the degree program you want to major in. This exam will be more tailored towards your major and there will be a cap of people let into the program every year or semester. You fail and you have to try again next time. Take your pre-reqs while you wait and study so you don't fail next time. Some places may already do something like this.
>>
>applying to berkeley for grad school
>have to submit a diversity statement
>am the least diverse person imaginable

Decided to save myself the application fee. I kind of get undergrad, but how is having more minorities going to improve a lab? Is growing up in a trailer granting me perspective on my field?
>>
>>7875414
im not kidding, those were literally options.
>>
>>7875403
I don't see how my ability to prepare extensively for an exam makes be a better qualified applicant. In fact, this still benefits the Asians, as their parents will devote years of the kid's life to studying for this exam.
>>
>>7875458
What you suggest seems rather to ensure that applicants have the right prerequisite knowledge than to filter people according to ability.

What I mean is more like a nationwide exam. 4 days, with a 1-day break after each day. Literature should be provided a year prior, and the applicants should be asked questions of deep understanding, not so much of memorization. First day should be maths, physics, chem, second day engineering, cs, biology, and so on. Colleges can choose what exam results go into the admissions process of their individual programmes. The exam results get a number, so that's the only information colleges have of applicants.

The exams would be end of august or so. Applicants would put down their "first choice college, second choice college" and so forth. I think it would be a perfectly fair and honest system, and it would ensure that the top talents sit together in one class.
>>
>>7875477
I feel for you, America.

From what I remember from the entrance process to university I went in to the faculty's building with my grades and identification, wrote down my name and other contact information, paid 20 bucks and then I was given the calendar for the examinations.

One psychological test, one general test and one science test. That was what determined my entrance. I was never asked my race or anything in the admission process. After the fact I did fill a longer form that I believe asked for ethnicity.
>>
>>7875405
I would prefer if it were based on academic ability. Then we wouldn't waste places on plebs, and we can make sure that the genius Ashkenazi Jews get into great universities.

Look at the percentage of Jewish Nobel laureates. We are holding back scientific progress by having AA to let in a greater proportion of blacks, whites, and other minorities

:^)
>>
Honestly I think we should exterminate all non-whites.
>>
>>7875514
Why do people believe shitposting is acceptable? You are not even funny. Go to >>>/b/ or >>>/pol/, you'll enjoy yourself much more there.
>>
>>7875489
This is a shitty system. Your performance on a single test which really only measures your prior knowledge is a bad metric.
>>
>>7875536
>which really only measures your prior knowledge

What else are you gonna measure? Future knowledge?
>>
>>7875536
>>7875549
It also would measure your ability to apply the knowledge.
>>
>>7875514
I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
>>
>>7875549
>>7875553
If your high school doesn't offer, say calculus (many poor areas don't), then you're already fucked under your system.
>>
>>7875327
To bad you were born Caucasian.
>>
>>7875568
Read

>Literature should be provided a year prior

If you still can't catch up in the last year, then your school is already so shitty, you would've failed admission regardless.

This would also force schools to adopt a more unified curriculum. We all know calc should be taught in HS and not college.
>>
are there like no mods on /sci/ anymore?
>>
>>7875292
My anthropology teacher taught me that affirmative action is objectively correct. So you are objectively wrong.
>>
Indeed racism sucks huh
>>
>>7875292
>>7875292
Affirmative action doesn't do anything unless they specifically select for low income. If a university accepts many middle-class black students, it's because they just want a good looking statistic.

That being said, in the grand scheme of things I wonder if affirmative action has repercussions not immediately visible on the surface. I have a suspicion (but nothing to back it up) that affirmative action creates an "Intellect Migration" of sorts.

Universities are giving out scholarships to kids in the ghetto. Naturally, the brightest kids in the ghetto get priority over the not-so-bright. So the smartest, most well-adjusted, more leadership-savy black kids leave the hood. After graduation, the scholarship kids go where the jobs are, i.e. anywhere BUT the hood.

In effect, affirmative action strips away the best and brightest black kids from their communities, and leaves behind the scraps. The ghetto communities lose all of their would-be leaders and are instead left with a pool of inferior genes.

Affirmative action could very possibly be causing certain geographic areas to plummet into the abyss.

Anyone have any thoughts to add to this theory? Surely someone has already thought of this already.
>>
>>7875622
Feel free to expound your arguments.
>>
>>7875532
>>7875558

>shitposting
Okay, my conservative friend :^)
Whites are obviously the best at academics. If AA was abolished, the percentage of students that are white would definitely increase
>>
>>7875635
It wouldn't. You still offer scholarships to minorities, they just end up at Penn State instead of MIT f.e. Or they end up at MIT if they truly are the best.

>Whites are obviously the best at academics.

AFAIK Asians are actually most discriminated against.
>>
>>7875634
She said it was objectively correct because it wasn't taking anything away from white males; only giving things to people who needed them.
>>
>>7875641
>if you look at black people in academia

Are you even an undergraduate in any kind of good university, anon?
You seem to have gone full retard
>>
>>7875651
My point is. Jews are a minority, but they make up a ridiculously high percentage of Nobel laureates.

We should give them the first choice at any university, since they seem to have a disproportionate ability to excel in research.
>>
>>7875652
>wasn't taking anything away from white males

But it is, thought, isn't it? A place a top-tier uni is perceived as more valuable than a place at a state uni.

Also, read the thread to follow the arguments obviously.
>>
>>7875652
Yeah it is, if a black girl takes a spot at that university over a white or asian guy with better grades than it is taking something away from the guy.
>>
>>7875656
That's just racism. How is this not shitposting?
>>
>>7875657
Not that anon.
If we devalue higher institutions with minorities with lower average SAT scores, then the difference between "top-tier" and state universities would be reduced. Then white males who go to state schools would not be as discriminated against, whites who go to "top-tier" universities would be more sought after (because they would seem to be more intelligent as AA selects against them"), and the average educational profile of otherwise less socioeconomically fortunate ethnic groups would be improved.
>>
>>7875655
Looks like you have not seen the truth.

Let me give you a quick example

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/10/06/10-black-scholars-debunked-eurocentric-propaganda/

> James painstakingly documents the African origins of Graco-Roman philosophical thought. He asserted that “Greek philosophy” was not created by the Greeks at all, instead it was borrowed without acknowledgement from the ancient Egyptians.

>the roots of Judaism, Christianity and Islam originated in black Africa. He also argues that the original Jews were from Ethiopia and were black Africans

> ancient Egypt was founded, populated, and ruled by black Africans;

If you are wondering why these look like random quotes, just open up the link and see the bright individuals that devoted their life to making these claims.

So in short: WE WUZ KINGS, WE WUZ EGYPTIANS, WE WUZ JEWS, WE WUZ CHRISTIANS, WE WUZ GREEKS, WE WUZ PHILOSOPHERS, WE WUZ EVERYONE NIGGA!
>>
>>7875664
That's exactly what I said in the OP. But all this does is:

>makes minorities less credible
>harm the field

How is that good for anyone?
>>
File: augMrVH.jpg (126 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
augMrVH.jpg
126 KB, 546x700
>>7875670
>>7875673
Back to >>>/pol/

Remember to report & hide /pol/esmokers kids.
>>
>>7875657
>>7875659
But this was taught by an anthropologist; one of the most respected scientists in existence. She said if you have people trying to look over a fence that's 6' high and the people are 5'11, 5'5, and 5'0, they all need different boxes to stand on. Giving the shorter person a larger box doesn't influence how the taller people can see over the fence.
This was a mathematical proof that objectively proves affirmative action is good. QED.
>>
>>7875673
I said good universities anon, not some shit-tier pleb schools like University of New York

FUcking kek if you think those are good
>>
>>7875679
I gave you the source. Black PHDs are actually making this claims. And I'm not even citing a weird /pol/ source, atlantablackstar is a pro black media site.
>>
>>7875684
Your anecdote is inappropriate since, for one, the number of boxes would be limited. I know you are trolling but still.
>>
>>7875686
>Dr. Ivan Gladstone Van Sertima
>professor of Africana Studies at Rutgers University
>ancient Africans were master shipbuilders who sailed from Africa to the Americas thousands of years before Spanish explorer Christopher Columbus

I don't know about you, but I've heard only nice things about Rutgers. And this is the caliber of black academics that is not only coming out from there, BUT TEACHING THERE.

I TOL U NIGGA WE WUZ SAILORS N SHIT NIGGA. WE WUZ SOUTH AMERICANS NIGGA. WE DISCOVERED EVERYTHING NIGGA I TOL YOU WE WUZ KINGS N SHIET.
>>
>>7875687
White PhDs have made even more retarded claims, from Homeopathy to Neanderthal Predation Theory. You can always cherrypick an idiot. Now fuck off.

Reported for /pol/shit obviously.
>>
>>7875687
You used the word black, so you have to go to /pol/. Which might be a good system actually, because I'm sick of hearing about race on every board.
>>
>>7875692
>Rutgers

Not even top 200 globally
Fucking kek

You are a major pleb if Rutgers is good, relative to you

This coming from a student at a top 10 global university
>>
>>7875292
>since any black female that comes out of MIT must be equal to every white male

Major flaw in your premise. You are assuming that all the white males would be of equal caliber when no one with two brain cells would agree with you on this.
>>
>>7875732
>pedantics
>>
>>7875673
>WE WUZ KINGS
You are /pol/ing too hard

Hide your powerlevel next time, jesus
>>
>>7875292
You're trying to reason with people who are trying to create a "non-racial" society by insisting that race does not exist in public, but then requiring stupidly simplified classical race checkboxes on every single governmental-, bank- and university form and/or application.

These are not rational people you're trying to argue with, just give them more of your tax money for their stupid, ineffectual social projects and shutup so you don't get lynched.
>>
>>7875292

All of the cases in that picture are unfair to a certain extent, not just the minority. If you get in on how quality of a student/human you are and no other external factors, the only one that is passable is the soccer player. All of the rest are shitty reasons for getting in.
>>
File: 1454868852269.png (544 KB, 909x840) Image search: [Google]
1454868852269.png
544 KB, 909x840
Affirmative action was enforced because 75% of the chucklefucks who ran colleges, businesses and banks in the past were either racist pricks or spineless yes men who didn't want to "rock the boat".

Remember it wasn't about merit back then it was about the sociopolitical equivalent of high school clicks.

Did you forget why the historically black colleges even exist in first place? Are you aware of the fact that some of the brightest non "white" minds had to leave america and go to fucking europe just to pursue an actual full career in research or academia?

You had people like Ernest Just wanting to do serious research in marine biology but since America was like lol fuck you black dude he had to head to Europe instead. Guess what country invited him multiple times to check his research out? Fucking Germany of all places did, nearly on the heels of the Third Reich Germany was willing to invite a black guy to check his research out and offer good facilities to work with.

Hell America couldn't even do right when blacks, asians, hispanics and native americans served in the military and came back home from WW2 for decent work and housing. They actively allowed banks to utilize red lining bullshit.

I can understand /sci/'s contempt for affirmative action but you have to remember why it came to fucking be. Most places couldn't be trusted because they gave no fucks about "merit" at the time.

Hell they rarely care about merit now, just admission rates, test scores, commercial sponsorship, legacy and sports money. Some colleges feel like straight up businesses now making hand over fist in terms of money just through loans, fees and "financial aid" alone.
>>
>>7875691
I'm not trolling, this is an actual fact that I am taught and expected to know and understand in order to graduate.
>>
>>7875882
damn, this is a really awful post
>>
>>7875659
>Yeah it is, if a black girl takes a spot at that university over a white or asian guy with better grades than it is taking something away from the guy.

nope. the diversity entrants are taking drop outs spots. its a completely different competition pool with way higher acceptance rates. blacks are competing against community college all stars and single moms.
>>
>>7875882
So what did Asians do to deserve AA faggot? And for young whites since when are sins heritable? I was not aware we voted thos laws in.
>>
It's really a way to evade giving more resources to the black/hispanic communities. If they don't want to take the time to divert the best faculty to inner-city schools and initiating programs to get students and parents on board with each other, they'll just initiate AA to escape any backlash. A lot of the rampant crime and stupidity is due to severely damaged familial relations which doesn't encourage education, as the parents have been brought up in the same environment and just don't know and are currently unable to see it. It would just take building better infrastructure and improving access to psychological care, but since the federal budget is all over the place AA is the best they can do to make it seem like they care.
>>
>>7875932

> So what did Asians do to deserve AA faggot?

Asians and Asian americans were discriminated against in gold/farming hotspots pre-WW2 and thrown into camps during WW2.

http://archive.vancouver.wsu.edu/crbeha/ja/ja.htm

https://www.du.edu/behindbarbedwire/history.html#anchor27006

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen%27s_Agreement_of_1907

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1924

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Exclusion_Act

> And for young whites since when are sins heritable?

They aren't, but businesses, banks and the government don't run on human years or genetics.
>>
>>7875652

That can't be right.

There are a finite number of acceptance spots. If an AA applicant is going to get it, then a non-AA applicant can't get it.

If what your prof said is true, then there are dedicated AA spots, in which case the student/prof ratio is going to get very high very quickly and result in a worse education for everyone.
>>
If you're a non-Jewish white and want to send your jimmies to the moon check out this article written by a Jew about how vastly under represented non-Jewish whites are at Harvard:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-myth-of-american-meritocracy/
>>
>>7875292
Affirmative action doesn't take into account that some groups are less suited to jobs than others. Blacks have low IQs so we wouldn't expect many scientists out of that population group.
>>
>>7875292
I just remember seeing my college quickly fall with their "diversity" initiative.

Let me say I want diversity, goodness knows too many people with the same background leads to lack of understanding and stagnation.

But when I talked with a new freshman and they said they gave up their dream of being a beautician to study chemical engineering because CE offered them a full ride ... well at that point I wanted to hurt someone.

As I senior looking at the revised freshman math course I wondered if any of them could learn as much as I did with all the watering down they did.

If your training the best of the best, then someone has to fail so others can be pushed further, because sad truth is we all can't learn at the same pace.
>>
>>7875530
>this doesn't get any replies in 16 hours
It's getting better, sci.
>>
>>7875684
Literally saw this posted on Facebook on Ben carson's profile
>>
>>7875673
>looks like you have not seen the truth

Literally /pol: the opening
>>
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/01/09/dirty-secrets-of-college-admissions.html

>We were always looking for candidates from underrepresented groups. So if you are just a typical white girl from New Jersey and your application didn’t pass muster, it was relegated to the reject pile without a second thought. With a minority kid with the same stats, you just can’t do that. They always warrant a second or even third look.
>>
>>7877104
This is 10/10 strawmanning
>>
>>7875473
I applied to Berkeley as well, and apparently, how that diversity statement works is that if you are rejected by the first committee, your application gets sent to the diversity committee for evaluation. I just put something stupid, because apparently, it doesn't get read by the admission committee.
>>
>not legacy
>not son of big donor
>not sports
>raised in new jersey
>white

I type this from Harvard. kek I love these threads
>>
>>7875292
There's a push by most places to appear more diverse because it makes them look good to people. It's nothing but a pretty marketing lie, but it's one that we see bleed over to giving some people an unfair advantage.

As for legislative affirmative action, the heart is in the right place, but like a lot of people trying to fight for equality, they are hipocrites who harbor the racial stareotypes from a different time.

Also, how is this /sci/ stuff?
>>
File: 1324109230790.png (115 KB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
1324109230790.png
115 KB, 264x240
>>7877123
how the fuk u get in
>>
It is bullshit. All who get in without their brain power are scum.
>>
>>7877241
Thats completely nonsense, time and time again this "diversity" dogshit is shown to be a disaster, it makes no difference because its an ideological crusade.
Not some calculated strategy.
Theres a reason its forced from the top down, and never arises organically anywhere.

> the heart is in the right place
No, they are evil marxists who would call a rape victim a slut if the accused rapist is black.
They are our enemies.
At no point EVER has this been about "equality".
>>
>>7875489
Sounds wapanese.

Don't they test into high schooling too? I imagine that is good for education.
>>
College admissions were 4 years ago but fuck it I'm in mood to greentext a little.

>be asian american, suburban privileged life whatever
>not the typical "robotic asian", was too dumb to work for an A in my history classes until junior year
>did well in all my math and science classes though, perfect grades/standardized test scores (I'm well aware they didn't matter even then, but it at least put me in some academic demographic for admissions), had a bunch of extracurriculars that I actually cared about
>senior year, get waitlisted at 5 schools I think, 2nd tier private schools like Duke
>know this black kid who is in the middle of the class, taken literally only 1 AP science (bio), 1 extracurricular (marching band)
>gets into Duke because "I wanna be a doctor and I'm black"
>his parents make at least 3x-4x what my parents make, comes to school in some sports car everyday

>affirmative action considers him from a less privileged background than me
>all my waitlist letters basically tell me "you're good enough but there's not enough space"
>less qualified people like this guy are the reason there's not enough space

>flash forward a year from then
>meet with him and some other friends, he's already resorting to adderall after getting a C and D in his freshman bio and chem classes respectively

AA in general, man. I guess I'm still salty even after graduating (attended my state uni with a full ride scholarship -- not that the Duke tuition was a problem for him anyway), but whatever. I think he got into med school with a 3.2 gpa btw, thanks again AA.
>>
>>7875414

Isn't it just another word for semen and vaginal excretions?
>>
>>7877456
Harvard reserves spaces for home schooled students. Because the application pool is so small, anyone with a good sat gets accepted.
>>
>>7877540
except I wasn't home schooled either. I just did really well in school and worked hard
>>
>>7877557

either you won some national award/competition or you just won the college admissions lotto
either way congrats but do realize that the majority of applicants are more than well-enough qualified to study at harvard, but the adcoms could give less of a shit if they don't have some 1/1000 trait/experience
>>
>>7877557
>Implying that it isn't largely luck-based
Yeah bro I'm sure you worked harder than every Asian and white Harvard reject.
>>
>>7875292

California got rid of affirmative action in 1996 and all that happened was that the number of Asians attending university exploded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_209#Effect_on_enrollment_and_graduation_rates
>>
>>7877752
A damn shame. They've fucking everywhere, now.
>>
>>7877752
>Asian American enrollment percentage remained stable.
Did you even read what you posted?
>>
>>7877583
Not going to argue with you plebs but just so you know I didnt win any national honor either.
>>
>>7875490
what year was this?

i spent about $1000 over 8 applications when you consider 2 GREs, 8 application fees, 4 score reports sent (4 were free)...
>>
Pro tip this is why the SAT is becoming optional given that a common practice is to nerf asian scores and buff black and hispanic scores to equal-ize them. If they are not going to reconcile with what the heredity trends indicate, I don't see college not becoming diluted.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/10/27/study-finds-race-growing-explanatory-factor-sat-scores-california
>>
>>7875317
They get tax breaks.

So they kind of have to economically.
>>
>>7875292
it only does if you are an idiot. why would you hate someone who had nothing to do with the companies policies?
>>
Heres something from /pol/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmSzgvaJCn0
>>
>>7875684
I know my anthropology teacher was talking about how humans are destroying the environment in class. He said that "green house gasses are making the hole in the ozone layer bigger". I have him a funny look and he said "look, I'm not a scientist".
>mfw I'm not making this up
>>
>>7875292
>doesn't admitting on anything else but merit, necessarily harm the field?
Yes.

>If they want to reduce the education inequality for minorities, wouldn't it suffice to just offer more minority scholarships?
No because, for whatever reason, black/mexican people struggle to get high grades, thus they wouldn't qualify for the merit-based minority scholarships.
>>
>>7875327
I was born in a pretty lucky position, my parents are paying for college, got an internship last year through an aunt, might get one this year from a friend of my dads. It feels weird to know that I can never be a rags to riches story, but that doesn't mean I'm sad, I'm just lucky, that's what happens.
>>
>>7881321
it is ironic that the guy running the campaign looks jewish
>>
>>7875882
>Affirmative action was enforced because
hippies and women.
>>
>>7875292
If you assume that there are no inherent racial differences in intellectual ability then you're forced to admit that the only reasonable rationale for affirmative action is to discriminate against racial groups which study hard and get good grades, and subsidize lazy racial groups which get shit grades. Basically socialism applied to admissions standards.

If the policy was designed to help poor people because poor people get shittier primary and secondary education and that's why their grades suck, then you would boost/knock down applicants by family/caregiver income or wealth, not by race groupings.
>>
>>7875292

>employing a double minority (black fem

women aren't a minority, they're actually a majority, male:female ratio is 0.97 in USA
>>
>>7875663
it's statistically backed up shitposting, i.e. you're offended by facts
>>
>>7881656
>using a single number as a ratio
Pls
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.