[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What STEM field should I major in /sci/? Explain why.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 443x332
What STEM field should I major in /sci/? Explain why.
>>
Biochemistry because then you will be able to make potions that give you superpowers.
>>
>>7863807
computer science

you'll take a variety of rigorous theoretical math courses as well as programming courses that prepare you for the real world

expect to make near $100k in most starting positions
>>
>>7863811
>having money as your prime motivator
enjoy being miserable for the rest of your life.
>>
>>7863811
>rigorous theoretical math courses

heh.

CS major here, I had to take analytic number theory as an elective with permission from the math (and CS) department to get my fix.
>>
>>7863811
>rigorous theoretical math
>cs

kek
>>
>>7863807
Major in social science. Study effect of partying on college kids. Have fun in college.
>>
>>7863807
If you dont know what to major in OP just delay college, take up a job, live life and save your time and money.

Because:
1. your likely to switch majors which is a risk in money

2. waste your time learning jack shit and then risk of switching majors making your approach and effort worthless.

3. very likely to not get actual experience in the field you decide to major in once you settle.

You can browse the internet and get the same books they have in those MIT college classes, and there's probably streaming college classes from professors right now. Learn about the world and get interested in the subject you want to learn in: you have a shit ton of information at your fingertips. After that, if you do decide to go to college, be well into your 20s, have some life experience and you'll have a better understanding and set path. Plus youll be updated in the current practices that matter more than spending 3 years reviewing old concepts and concerned over tests and curriculum.

I wish someone gave me that advice back when i graduated.

If you are looking into getting money, prospect on the majors that are likely to be needed in the future of about 5-8 years.

If you decide on computer science, you can just delay college for a good while and learn on your own and team up on projects in github. Im very sure that's what students do at the top universities, except they pay like $5000 a semester.

Also going to a university means to be worldy compared to a college. So expect to understand that you should learn about your cultural enemies portrayed in the media.
>>
File: rare-pepe_pepe_3_0000.png (357 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
rare-pepe_pepe_3_0000.png
357 KB, 400x400
>>7863839
>tfw only have to take 5 courses
>only have to go up to calc 2
>the other two "discrete" math courses are watered down and ONLY CS people take it (aka business calc)
>tfw
>>
File: 1455310679806.png (287 KB, 836x1065) Image search: [Google]
1455310679806.png
287 KB, 836x1065
>>7863811
>a living meme
>>
>>7863811
>>7863903
Is CS the new engineering?
>>
I want to say chemistry but I just can't bring myself to. Love learning it, fucking with chemicals, and I'm even starting my PhD next year, but the job market for us is anxiety inducing at best. If I could do it again, honestly I'd probably do an engineering but only because I've come to love math more. If I was guaranteed a job, chemistry no doubt.
>>
>>7863807
major in alcohol and pointless sex with random, faceless women
>>
>>7863807
Why go into stem if you aren't sure what you would want to do?
>>
File: Laughing dubs.jpg (165 KB, 788x996) Image search: [Google]
Laughing dubs.jpg
165 KB, 788x996
>>7863811
>>
>>7863807
>What STEM field should I major in /sci/?

Why STEM?
>>
>>7863807
Well, what fascinates you, OP?
>>
>>7863807
Biomedical Engineer here... If you want to make money and enjoy bio/math/tech I would recommend it.
>>
You will only make money on a subject you enjoy. You will only make it to academia if you are passionate about the subject. You will end in middle management if you go in for any other reason.
>>
What are you interested in?
>>
>>7863900
>enrolled at an institution of higher learning
>woo I don't have to take blahblah

Wrongheaded
r
o
n
g h e a d e d
>>
>>7863807
Mathematics, it's ubiquitous to every field.
>>
>>7863811
But CS doesn't need math rigor at the undergraduate level. I don't get the meme. Graduate level CS does go over rigorous math, though. I know some CS grads that use algebraic geometry, QFT, Langlands program, real analysis, proof theory, etc.
>>
Engineering because it is sort of like a combination of science, technology and mathematics all in one and will give you a better understanding of how the world works. I am in university currently, studying mechatronics engineering and minoring in mathematics and I couldn't be happier with my decision!
>>
>>7866290
>>7866224
I thoroughly enjoyed high school physics. I don't view maths as any more than a tool for solving irl problems.
>>
>>7866574
Have you considered being an engineer of some sort? There is a heavy emphasis on applied mathematics and physics.
>>
Top tier: a field you're interested in that can net you a paycheck to live on.

Mid tier: a field that you don't really care for but makes money

Meh tier: a field you do care about that makes shit money

All else is shit tier.
>>7866297
This, really.
>>
>>7866304
>QFT
Why do they use that?
>>
>>7866304
Undergrad CS looks like a complete joke in the US. In France and the rest of yurope I believe the first 3 (out of 6) semesters consist of 1/2 math, 1/4 programming/algorithms and the last quarter depends on the uni but generally it's something like physics or newtonian mechanics.
Then it gets a little more applied and less academical but you still have to take some "fundamental" courses.
>>
>>7866984
undergrad in europe is only 3 years?
Also what do you mean by 1/2 and 1/4
>>
>>7867029
>undergrad in europe is only 3 years?
3 or 4, depends.
>>
>>7866984
Don't listen to /sci/ when talking about CS or engineering.
That's what /g/ is for.
>>
>>7863809
This, geralt and Hyde had biochem degrees
>>
>>7866282
>You will only make money on a subject you enjoy. You will only make it to academia if you are passionate about the subject. You will end in middle management if you go in for any other reason.

This is definitely true in academia, definitely NOT true in industry. Almost all of the VP's and managing director at investment banks I know in finance went into it for the money and competitiveness of the field, not because of some love for the subject of finance.

>>7866920
I agree with this completely. Though the Mid and Meh tier are pretty close. Maybe even Meh = Mid for me. I failed to get a good academic job after my PhD, went into quant finance for a couple of years before quitting and becoming a HS teacher at a high quallity school (all very smart, eager to learn students). I'm much happier now but make around 1/3 the salary I was making. I guess this job would fall int "top tier" though since I like the work and can live on the paycheck.
>>
>>7863807
Just don't do pure math. Applied math or double major with math, great. Pure math, pretty useless unless you want to become a mathematician, which is 10 years uni + extremely competitive job market.

Or you could major in pure math and then apply to law or med school. Law and led schools love math majors, since they know how to think. Math majors have the highest admission rate to med schools.
>>
What about physics?
>>
Any.

Most people don't end up working in the direct field of their degree. In some fields, there are barely any jobs available - e.g. aerospace engineering.

The real benefit of doing a STEM degree is that you show you are smart, because you can handle abstract science logically and are fluent in maths. All doors are open for you.

It is far more important that you become the best AT the field you chose, so choose whichever one you are the most passionate about.

With that in mind, avoid medicine, because it is longer than an average degree, more expensive and doesn't teach you many skills applicable outside medicine.

And use your common sense, some fields are better than others in terms of landing jobs outside the field. Theortical physics will make you much smarter than marine biology.
>>
bumpity

whats a good stem carreer for introverts
>>
>>7863811
But math gives you 300 000 starting
>>
>>7867628
Maths (or CS if you have autism).
>>
>>7867518
and do what job?
>>
>>7863807
Physics.

It's the path to becoming a professional mind blower like Michio Cucku and Black science guy.

Or if you're not into explaining things by providing vague metaphors, you can have fun trying to figure out how things work, then trying to translate that into mathematical concepts.

There's a lot of beauty to Physics, not as much as Math imo, but Physics is a lot more down to earth. It's a good balance of feeling like what you're working on is important, while making something beautiful.
>>
>>7868811
I don't know, you're the one who will tell me
>>
Oceanography:
Babes and fieldwork
>>
File: Zceb6Ey.jpg (596 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Zceb6Ey.jpg
596 KB, 2000x1333
Geology. Rocks are dank as fug
>>
>>7863807
Biostatistics
Someone once told me it's where the money is idk senpai
>>
File: 1255856.jpg (449 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1255856.jpg
449 KB, 1280x720
currently studying electrical engineering, what field should I specialize in if I want to travel a lot for work?

or did I fuck up and will forever be trapped in a tiny cubicle?
>>
>>7863811

>computer science
>you'll take a variety of rigorous theoretical math courses

R8 8/8, gr8 b8 m8.
>>
>>7870356
become a consultant. infosys/accenture consultants have to do a lot of travelling for work afaik and they love EEs.
>>
>>7869429
why the fuck would anyone spend their time staring at rocks
>>
File: thumbs up.gif (481 KB, 141x141) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.gif
481 KB, 141x141
>>7863869
nice
>>
>>7863807
CS and some flavor of engineering. CS is easy, but the piece of paper that says "Bachelor of Science in CS" will help you get job interviews.
>>
AEROSPACE ENGINEERING

(desu senpai)
>>
>>7864794
M.O.N.E.Y!
>>
>>7869429
Every geology major/geologist is the same.
>dude, we just go out on expeditions and drink beer all day outside while looking at neat as fuck rocks
How is this a bragging point? It sounds like your brain knows that what you're doing is the lowest of the low intellectually and a complete waste of time, so you have to make up how it's actually "super k00l that i don't do anything but identify quartz xD". Most pathetic field I've ever encountered, you're all trying to be special snowflakes and it's sad
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.