[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
free will thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 8-DDD.gif (271 KB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
8-DDD.gif
271 KB, 384x216
free will thread?
>>
I would complain about you making this thread, but because your actions are pre-determined by the laws of physics and causality, it was unavoidable and inevitable for this series of actions to occur.
>>
>>7856005
i was going to complain about this gay thread but this guy is right
>>
>>7856000
nice (predetermined) trips
>>
it's amazing how a monitor flashing lights at you is enough to occupy people for their entire lives
>>
>>7856023
It's amazing how a computer simulation running in a higher universe is enough to contain all of humanity for it's entire existence
>>
i have free will. my brain is a product of god and thus can do supernatural things like violate causality.
my decisions are like a light switch that can turn itself on with nothing turnibg it on......
NOT!!!
>>
>>7856037
doesn't QM violate causality tho?
>>
>>7856025
there's no such thing as universes so your statement is void
>>
my thoughts and actions are predetermined by god.
>>
>>7856042
am i being trolled?
>>
>>7856042
QM just follows rules that are so complicated that we don't understand them and they APPEAR random

Source: YOU CAN'T PROVE ME WRONG
>>
There is nothing which can be called as "free will".
If exist, one can perfectly control one's mind, behavior, motivation, and life with it.
But this does not hold.
We are just animals who have no such a thing like "free will" and merely driven by instincts, circumstances, fears and own weaknesses.
>>
>>7856005
What determines these laws, anyway?
>>
>>7856119
This is what I've been told my whole life.
Couldn't we just be heavily influenced by the past, but still be able to pull off random actions every now and then? not trying to troll, it's just i'm not very enlightened on this.
>>
>>7856156
how is this randomness supposed to look like in your brain
>>
>>7856119
you're making a false dichotomy between no free will and complete control.

I would argue that if there is even one decision you get to make of your own accord that it is enough to be counted as free will.

>We are just animals who have no such a thing like "free will" and merely driven by instincts, circumstances, fears and own weaknesses.
this is just ignorant. if there is no free will then why do I feel like I have it? why am I experiencing things? I make decisions all the time and now you're telling me this is all an illusion (who is seeing this illusion?) and I am acutally a bunch of chemicals. this is denial of the first order.
>>
>>7856174
So could we at some point in the future be able to predict our lives from the moment we are born? predict exactly what's going to happen, because there's no chance for randomness
>>
If the universe is deterministic it's not my fault that my thread is shit
If the universe is probabilistic I couldn't have predicted that my thread would be shit
>>
>>7856215
>do I feel like I have it?

That is a misconception.
Please more carefully observe your mind or your "inner space".
You must she there are many dynamics or "small wills" like "I'm hungry" or "I have to go to bed".
My point is that, there is no consistent uniform will, and our will or decisions are just the results of the "tug of war" among these forces.
Very simple and understandable. Our mind is just a phenomenon, nothing is different from the streams of rivers or clocks composed of gears.
There are causes, mechanism, and results, nothing more in our mind.
What other things you can find?

Sometimes, we "come up with" some thoughts or wills which seems to be out of order from the stream of cause and results.
But, if you investigate carefully the thoughts or wills, you will see they are also the results of some causes like what you see yesterday or the dreams you had last night.

Clearly, our mind is evolving based on the law of the cause and result.
The mechanism is relatively complex but I don't feel that our mind is completely different from other phenomena or machines we see in the world, like, the streams of rivers or the clocks made of gears.
Of course, there are many randomness in the process, but involving randomness is nothing special, even computers can do that employing random variable generators.
>>
I want to call you a faggot.
ur a faggot
BAM free will.
>>
>>7856227
I think thats practically impossible. You basically must know everything about every person in the world, every mechanism in the universe and so on, to predict life of someone.
>>
>>7856000
This kills the board
>>
>>7856256
>If the universe is probabilistic I couldn't have predicted that my thread would be shit
[citation needed]

Also:

sto·chas·tic
stəˈkastik/
adjective
adjective: stochastic

randomly determined; having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analyzed statistically but may not be predicted precisely.

Origin
mid 17th century: from Greek stokhastikos, from stokhazesthai ‘aim at, guess,’ from stokhos ‘aim.’
Translate stochastic to
Use over time for: stochastic
>>
>>7856488
Dude. I'm not OP. That's a jab at the shameless nature of shitposting.

And I bet I know more about continuous-time stochastic processes than you, faggot.
>>
by the way if anybody here used to follow physics forums im the princeton drug addict who trolled them all with the reality that we arent fundamentally different from a burning flame/we are free flowing chemical reactiuons doing what we do... each chemical rxn in our body does not decide what to do... everything in our body is reacting with the first thing it can
>>
File: 1443736417973.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1443736417973.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>7856555
>And I bet I know more about continuous-time stochastic processes than you, faggot.
Then why did you say:
>If the universe is deterministic
???

We've know for almost a century now that it's not.
>>
>>7856005
Such is like in prederministan
>>
>>7856566
If the real number x satisfies x^2+1=0, then x=17.4
is a true statement. What is your point here?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.