[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do amerifats call maths or mathematics math?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
why do amerifats call maths or mathematics math?
>>
>>7816534
It is a singular subject. Do you call biology "biologies"?
>>
>>7816556
I never took mathematic.
>>
>>7816556
do you call sports sport?
>>
Math is easier to pronounce than maths.
We are the most efficient.
>>
>>7816556
maths sounds better and makes more sense to me and everyone else who doesnt live in burgerland
>>
>>7816534
They can only do one at a time.
>>
I was raised saying "math", but once I was about 14 or so I began talking with friends from over seas online and I was introduced to "maths" as the abbreviation. Ever since then I've felt that "maths" makes more sense, but I still often use "math" when speaking out of habit.
>>
>>7816564
>maths sounds better
Objectively wrong. I bet you think "isthmus" is easy on the ears too. Really rolls off the tongue, like.
>>
>>7816590
ok, im gonna go and practice some mathematic
>>
>>7816534
it's easier to say with a hamburger stuffed in your mouth
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 665x348) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 665x348
The first time i saw In Bruges, i burst out laughing in the theater when one of the kid's sins he was intending to confess was "being bad at maths"

There was an intended giggle there clearly, but what really hit my funny bone was thinking math wasn't the worst of his issues.

The scene became less funny after I later learned yurops literally call it maths.

Maths is about as goofy as not putting "the" in front of "hospital".
>>
>>7816661
there is nothing more cringe than hearing some slimey mericunt say 'math' with that twang
>>
It's because americunts don't actually speak English, they speak a "lite" pidgin with bad spelling.
>>
>>7816655

>mmmff
>>
>>7816673
And where do you think that twang came from, asshole?
>>
File: hammer-eating-burger.jpg (85 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
hammer-eating-burger.jpg
85 KB, 800x600
>>7816801
>>
>>7816558
you never took math?
>>
>>7816558
this
>>
>>7816534
A better question is, why do Europoors call math maths? Is there more than one?
>>
>>7816832

Because they invented both the field and the name.
>>
>>7816832
We europoors don't do that in general (this makes sense since maths is harder to pronounce than math). I think it's just a british thing, where it is apparently common to abbreviate words by removing letters at the end, except the last one.
>>
The thing is if I’m not mistaken, the singular mathematic exists in every language on earth except English.
>>
>>7816912
Everyone gets taught the correct version of English though, so mosy people would say maths
>>
And Gernans call it "mathe!" What a bunch of retards, right guyz?
>>
It is mathematics, neither maths nor math
It is like shortening physics as piss or pith, equally insulting
>>
>>7816534
I call it math, but it makes sense both ways.
Mathematic = math.
Mathematics = maths

Combinatorial mathematic.
Combinatorial mathematics.
University mathematics.
University mathematic. ( doesn't sound right ).

Maybe it just depends on connext. However no point in being autistic over it since the meaning of the message isn't changed in either spelling.
>>
File: nolike.png (355 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
nolike.png
355 KB, 500x628
ITT: idiots fighting over slang.

It's Mathematics. Math and Maths are both shortening the real word.
>>
>>7817001
By mosy people you mean the british right? Because then I agree. Otherwise I'm afraid you're just plain wrong. Of course, there are some who work(ed) in britland for a long time, they tend to use maths, and then there's the handful of undergrads who way maths as some inconsequential way of sticking it to the man or something, but most people really just say math.
>>
>arguing semantics
>>
>>7817098
most*, sorry for the mistake you autist
And of course I was talking about most European people. Who the fuck gets taught american in high school?
>>
>>7817107
Wow, I did not know you could get this salty over being demonstrably wrong.
>>
Words "mathematics" comes from Greek "matematika", which is in itself plural because there is no "one mathematic".
Muricans are just stupid like only they can be
>>
>>7816827
Nah, just maths.
>>
>>7817310

Except "mathematics" is a singular word in English and most other languages as well. Just because it ends in S doesn't mean it's plural.

>mathematics are my favorite subject hurr durr

But really, this is a ridiculous argument. Math is correct in American English and maths is correct in British English. It takes a true autist to be bothered by the existence of different dialects.
>>
File: 286_murrow_intro.jpg (17 KB, 286x250) Image search: [Google]
286_murrow_intro.jpg
17 KB, 286x250
Muh accent is better than your accent, you cheeky bint
>Bitch about Americans "not having a culture."
>Bitch about Americans not being exactly the same as you or talking the same way.
>Bitch about Americans when they don't respond to genocide.
>Bitch about Americans when they do respond to genocide.
>Bitch that we're too fat.
>Bitch that we're apparently not doing enough to make sure our poor lead comfortable lives.

Boy, you cunts just can't have it any which way you like it, can you?
It's almost, ALMOST, as if there were a group of young, vapid twats, who self select onto the internet and into forums like these, for whom America can do no right. Doesn't matter that it probably helped your country repair all of its infrastructure after WW2, doesn't matter that it's taken toppled enemies and built them into shining beacons of modern ingenuity, and it doesn't matter that this country is the only reason that most of western Europe was shielded from peaceful assimilation into the big ol' Russian family. It doesn't matter that our country is arguably one of the most generous and welcoming on the planet.
We'll always be just a bunch of rednecks to your lot, because that's what impresses the rest of the young, vapid twats.
>>
>>7816534
Math is a contraction of mathematics, you imbecile.
>>
>>7816534
The same reason you call econs or economics econ.
>>
>>7817731
ok, imma go do some MATHEMATIC now

yeah sounds fucking stupid doesnt it, thats what 'math' implies.
>>
>>7817026
Math is shorter, therefore better.
>>
>>7817785
>Americans using their own penises as an argument

That is just sad man. Is that what your gf told you? Let me tell you something too, she moans louder when she's with Tyrone.
>>
it is mathematics
and both are unacceptable
>>
>>7816564
maths makes more sense but youd be called out pretty quickly for saying it instead of math
>>
>>7819446
>abbreviating a word by randomly deleting letters from the middle
>makes sense
>>
>>7817833
>Americans using their own penises as an argument

muh dik: The rebuttal
>>
>>7817310
>which is in itself plural because there is no "one mathematic".
That's debatable. There are many ideas (invariance, symmetry, optimization, elegance, etc) that permeate all math.
Interestingly, at some point in the 20th century, the French (under the influence of Bourbaki) actually called mathematics "la mathématique" (which sounded exactly as ridiculous and pedantic then as it does now, but people still went with it for some reason), to emphasize this idea.
Funnily enough, these same people refused to consider probability a part of math until very recently (maybe 10/20 years ago).
>>
Why do French people call it "hairs" instead of "hair?"

OP doesn't know how language works.
>>
>>7816561
No, because we are referring to more than one sport, retard.
>>
Can anyone find me any other example of a shortened word including an s at the end? It not like mathematics is the plural of mathematic. Mathematics is singular. So it makes no sense to put an s on the end. Get fucked britbongs.
>>
From Grammarist:

Math and maths are equally acceptable abbreviations of mathematics. The only difference is that math is preferred in the U.S. and Canada, and maths is preferred in the U.K., Australia, and most other English-speaking areas of the world.

Neither abbreviation is correct or incorrect. You may hear arguments for one being superior to the other, and there are logical cases for both sides. One could argue maths is better because mathematics ends in s, and one could argue math is better because mathematics is just a mass noun that happens to end in s. In any case, English usage is rarely guided by logic, and these usage idiosyncrasies are often arbitrary. If you were raised in a part of the world where people say maths, then maths is correct for you, and the same is of course true of math. Don’t listen to anyone who says otherwise.

tl;dr English is a fucked language anyway, who cares?
>>
>>7819804
There's also more than one kind of math
>>
>>7819804
>we're referring to one math gais
>trig,algebra, arithmetic, calculus, geometry

the only retard is you. i'm referring to one activity when i say sport. get fucked.
>>
>>7816534
>why do mexicans keep saying perro instead of dog?
because the relationship between sound and meaning is arbitrary. they speak different languages with different histories, so they have different words for the same meaning. there's nothing inherently "correct" or "logical" about a particular way of saying anything.

same thing applies here. you have two dialects which have slightly different histories, resulting in slightly different forms for the same meaning.

it might be more logical to call the plural of mouse mouses, but we don't. it's mice. there's literally nothing wrong with that. mathematics has an s on the end even though it's not plural. so do the words mass, bus, news, etc. the relationship between sound and meaning is COMPLETELY ARBITRARY. you can have a word that ends in s without that implying that it's plural. math and maths are equally valid just like dog and perro are equally valid.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.