[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High level languages; how are they not intuitive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: mytormentor.jpg (99 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
mytormentor.jpg
99 KB, 700x500
Ok, I've noticed something.
>learned python and was pretty proficient in it, used it to reinvent my own online regression libraries in matlab using numpy matrices etc for muh RNNS
> learned C/C++ because I needed more power
>Fast forward 3 years now in college;
>learned MATLAB
>a shitty python with indexing starting at 1 and some other weird shit
>surprisingly easy, mainly because you don't really do shit on the spot with it
>now taking intro Java class
Why is memorizing the Java API and all of its retardation so hard?

I understand exactly what is going on and cringe about it
>that nasty ass allocation
>muh pass by value
etc
but have to remember a cuckton of the Java API just to function
>muh boiler plate
>everything that isn't a basic type has to be an object

Literally only thing that makes me REE, is the artificial difficulty imposed by the Java API and the fact people believe OOP=memorizing the Java API

>tfw Java Class trying to make itself a weedout class
>you can code in various API (and soon Vulkan when I get the chance)
I'm understanding where codemonkeys come from now.
The real question; why the fuck is it hard for someone to memorize the standard library of a programming language and its functionality when it is supposed to be "higher level"; although technically more complex.

Why cant there at least be a C++11 course offered in schools and why is it so hard to translate to java.
I mean, you don't have to use pointers, even raw for that matter
>>
>>8002227
well, your program is shit, that's why
really, there isn't much more to say. you seem to know what you're doing and specific language classes are shit
>>
>>8002227
java is a very poorly-designed language that was written 20 years ago by an autist living in his mom's basement
> muh universal write once, run everywhere strat
seriously everyone hates java. companies still use java because 50% of the interweb services is written in java now
if you find java hard to live with better don't go into C++ it's an even worse mess than java
> muh "efficency"
go for c if you need efficency, C++ is a living bloated "segmentation fault" meme
>>
Judging from your picture, you're bitching about 1331? I TA'd that course for years, and you don't have any reason to memorize the java API.
>>
>>8002300
Funny right, albeit I came from CS1371(which I aced every test and scored perfect on the final - sasuga) while i fucking hated it (but of course it didn't get into heavy OOP and force you to remember methods)
>import shitty memory object x
>must remember all of its methods and the caveats between its functionally same apis
i.e. ArrayList/List
>muh boilerplate and shitty inheritance
interfaces/abstract arent the same

>>8002236
I agree, the class is shit; but for some reason memorizing the API fucks me up. Its literally been a fight against
>memorizing its shitty syntax
muh camelCase
muh similar names partially due to interface i.e. compare, compareTo

>boilerplate
some of the shit I hear the TAs say in Java's defense is cringe as fuck.
The professor is just coming out of industry and now learning Java, noticeably having the same problem and constantly referencing C master race.
>the worst offender ??? the actual API in which chunks of functionality must be recited in 50 mins
>>8002300
>implying you don't have to remember most of the methods in the collections API
you must mean the javafx(which I hope I never have to touch, and will make my skin crawl if I do-considering it'd be me taking another useless step backwards Direct3d/GL and able to implement muh GI/tiled deferred with based SSBOs and compute shaders etc)
Please anon, please don't tell me they'll force me to work in this bullshit my entire time here? Literally can implement grad student tier RL algys and GI; spend much of my time doing so. I'm extremely confident I can do grad level shit and I have a feeling, in the long run, this is going to fuck my shit up senpai.

>Hurr anon, you trivializing the solution anytime you use something i.e. the shitty memcpy clone System.arraycopy
REEEEE

I'm seriously feeling that I am trying to separate my C/C++ practice from my Java practice an
>>
>>8002455
You can look up anything in the API at any time and they got rid of all of the writing code on exams. Why are you trying to memorize all that dumb shit?
>>
>>8002526
>they got rid of all of the writing code on exams
>take an exam
>1/3 is actually understanding the concepts i.e. multiple choice / code evaluation
>1/3 is java caveats / debugging
better be quick with debugging this spaghetti code and boilerplate anon!
>1/3 is muh API
You better remember what that interface implements! it better compile! Lol, no anon X object? that isn't abstract its just an interface remember, remember what methods it uses, no? Apparently not right? Granted the previous example problems probably could help you but
>50 mins
Note the writing portion is treated like first time compile so if you forget java has default constructors on an exam problem -15 :^)

I miss MATLAB already, never thought I'd say that in my life.
At least it followed KISS.
2OOP for me. Hopefully 1332 is better when I'll be asked to write a list rather than
>hey anon? remember this shitty API and its nested interfaces/requirements?
>tfw 1332 is java
I want to be freed
>>
>>8002526
Also >look up anything in the api?
On exams?
Fuck no
Its common knowledge they have been increasing their artificial difficulty to make their program seem more rigorous/prestigious than it really is; didn't think it'd manifest like this
How long ago were you a TA, like 2+ years ago?
>>
>>8002227
This is why university coding is bullshit.

I've had to do a few things here and there in java for my job, and while I have a strong understanding of every keyword, whenever I need to do something I just google "How to X with java".

No serious developer actually memorizes the entire fucking java standard library, ffs. But after using and reusing the usual stuff like split, you just start remembering.

That they make you memorize it in class is teaching you a literal lie about what it means to be a software developer.

If anything, they should just make you do everything in the lowest level possible, so it is all intuition and cleverness, and not memorizing a bunch of functions.
>>
File: Jshit.jpg (210 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Jshit.jpg
210 KB, 1024x768
>>8002227
>Why is memorizing the Java API and all of its retardation so hard?

Because Java is the worst language in existence. Also, why the fuck are you taking a class in Java in the first place?

>Why cant there at least be a C++11 course offered in schools

There are, most ECE schools use C++

>>8002251
>go for c if you need efficency, C++ is a living bloated "segmentation fault" meme

You have no idea what you're talking about. C++ is just as efficient as C and you stick to C 'subset' if you're so incline.
>>
>2016
>using java
>running on an engine with more holes than a sponge
>impossible to produce good commercial software of any merit with
>>
>>8002227
My school does it weird. They teach you Python for first semester programming and dive deeply into it. Then second semester is data structures in java and while they say they don't expect you to know java coming in they essentially do. They go over 'java' so quickly in class that they 'cover' all of java within the first few lectures and anyone that didn't know it coming in is having to learn java + data structures. Then on top of it they give you lots of assignments and a huge assignment flooding you with lots and lots of work. It's a nightmare for people that don't know java and the jump from never programming -> python -> data structures in java within one semester makes people have grade deflation.
>>
>>8002227
Yea dude CS 1331 is a big fucking joke.
>>
File: rage pepe.jpg (142 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
rage pepe.jpg
142 KB, 900x900
>>8002891
>you hear someone say they love java, its great!, its their favorite language :^)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.