[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between: 1) A sphere. 2) A circle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 01101001.png (196 KB, 474x371) Image search: [Google]
01101001.png
196 KB, 474x371
What's the difference between:

1) A sphere.

2) A circle rotating along a diameter in a three dimensional space at an infinite speed.

???
>>
>>7810080
rotational momentum
>>
>>7810080
>infinite speed
No such thing and not in terms of "that can't be" (we're talking about a 2d shape taking up 3d volume by rotation, being impossible in a real world sense isn't a factor) but because it doesn't make sense. Infinite isn't a quantity.

At an arbitrarily large speed?

One is a solid body and the other is a rotating 2D shape.

As for what differences this makes, think in terms of stuff like density and mass.
>>
>>7810080
The difference is that one would be perfectly safe to touch, while the other would make your finger permanently invisible.
>>
>>7810080
Do you really want to know?
>>
>>7810100
I'll take that as a sign that I've been understood for awhile.
>>
>>7810080

what's the difference between a solid 3d cube and a single point flying around at infinite^infinite speed taking up every single coordinate of where the solid 3d cube would be?
>>
>>7810080
+1 for Hunter S. Thompson and Oscar Acosta
Thompson is the Feynman of Journalism.
>>
>>7810160
One's faster.
>>
If a sphere was made of solid material, but not atoms just a perfect sphere of material, and it rotated, would it have rotated?
>>
>>7810175
Depends. Did Dyson make it?
>>
>>7810080
Rigorously define infinity and I'll take a set-theoretic look at your bullshit bait :^)
>>
>>7810080
one of them is a sphere
the other is a circle rotating along a diameter in a three dimensional space at an infinite speed (whatever that means)
>>
what the fuck is infinite speed

why are bait threads so easily eaten
>>
In classical mechanics a rigid body's geometry does not change with it's speed.
>>
OP here

>>7810087
momentum implies mass right? this is more of the idea of both shapes.

>>7810093
>no such thing as infinite speed
why?

>arbitrary large speed
different than what i mean.

>one is a solid body and the other is a 2d shape
outside of a temporal dimension, yes.

>think in terms of density and mass
I'm thinking of massless concepts in a non-physical abyss. *tips fedora*. not sure what the term is for what i'm talking about lol.

>>7810100
checked.

>safe to touch
no such thing as touching or fingers in this situation.

>>7810103
not sure.

>>7810160
idk.. the rotating circle seems more tangible and easily applied to a mathematical format.

>>7810175
again, kind of my question.

>>7810191
Well... Here goes nothing..

n+1.

a sub-question would be "how fast would the circle have to be rotating for it to be mathematically indistinguishable from a sphere?"

>>7810211
This one I thought about pretty hard tbqh. But given the "infinite speed", you couldn't really slow it down. Right? Idk.
>>
>>7810093
>>7810623
I think I didn't do what you're saying justice

>infinite isn't a quantity
you're right, but why doesn't it make sense? if i said that "as the rotating circle's speed approaches infinity, it becomes indistinguishable from a sphere" that would imply some kind of acceleration. These two things have existed forever, and the rotating circle has been going the same speed forever. how would one differentiate the two?
>>
Mathematically theyre the same, you dont need the infinite speed bullshit if youre not thinking pseudo physics. Circle is the boundary of a flat ball(disk), rotation of the circle just adds one dimension to the ball. A sphere can be defined by a rotating circle as this boundary of the ball.
>>
I like how nobody can distinguish a disc from a circle
>>
>>7812025
Physically the difference would be in what happens if you bring two such objects together. An atom is a good example, by itself you could confuse it for a very small solid but by its interactions it clearly not.
>>
>>7810637
That's why I said an arbitrarily large speed (which should actually be angular velocity, but w/e).

It doesn't make sense to use infinity as a quantity because it isn't one. It's like if someone asks how many cookies you want and you answer "enlightenment". This is especially true in situations like this where you're talking about concepts that are impossible in the first place. But notice that I didn't just pedantically say it doesn't make sense because I knew what you were talking about, corrected that terminology bit, then went ahead to answer.
>>
Centrifugal force would have an effect on the internal structure. Also what if everything we've been led to bekieve is a lie, Scully?
>>
>>7810191
Bigger than 5
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.