[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Extra-terrestrial sentience's reaction to people.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
I have never got the whole "alien invasion" theme. Wouldn't aliens be happy to discover us, and try to actively communicate like we do? Surely we can't be the only ones who do this. The only imaginable driving force for the sufficient technology to discover extra-terrestrial life is curiosity, and that's what also drives us to want friendly communication. It's also what asks the question "are we alone in the universe?"
I see these alien invasion movies and it's scaring people, but I can't grasp how people can think that's the only way those aliens would react, even the way a majority of aliens act. Unless an arrogant space empire decides to step on us for any sort of gain from earth, which would likely be extremely rare, why would aliens want to start shit with us?
>>
File: 1453608870241.png (155 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
1453608870241.png
155 KB, 490x490
>>7808545
Actually, wouldn't this belong to a philosophy board better?
I think I might have fucked up here.
>>
>>7808545
you don't care about ants feelings if you want to build a house on their anthill. It really depends on how advanced they are compared to us.

Also they could be used to discovering civilizations as advanced as ours, and think nothing of destroying us, maybe it's even the moral thing to do for them.
>>
>>7808545
So... aliens do not have the same motivations or goals as humans. They can build a habitat in space if they need to, to house any number of their species, they do not need to 'colonize' our planet or any other planet. They can get resources from literally everywhere, there is no natural material they can't get somewhere or produce themselves

Nor do they want to make 'friends' they have everything they need. Nor are they 'curious' they already know who we are and how we're going to turn out.

The only single interest they have in humanity is our DNA. Also the DNA of other creatures on earth.

We are the only weirdo species ever to think conquering habitable planets is something that is 'natural' to intelligent species or to think there is somehow a competition for resources in a practically infinite galaxy.
>>
>>7808559
>"So... aliens do not have the same motivations or goals as humans"
>Proceeds to presume to know what their motivations might be
>>
>>7808555
Perhaps, but I can't help but feel such civilizations would be exceedingly uncommon. You bring up a fair point, though.
Checked btw
>>7808559
Can you imagine something other than human motivations to drive such discovery?
>>
>>7808559
if FTL travel is impossible, fighting for resources with neighboring star systems could become a real issue.
>>
>>7808555
Actually, I already addressed that, sort of, in the last sentence.
>>
>>7808575
>>7808569
why would it be rare? I'd say it's as likely as any other scenario.
>>
>>7808566
I only know because I talk to them everyday, anon-san!

Anyways, all the evidence points to the theory they are just poking around on the planet for meat. Cattle mutilations, abductions, that's about it. If they wanted real estate or saw us as a existential threat, they'd just have killed us all already. If they wanted to be friends, they'd implement some kind of memetic engineering. Since everyone sees aliens as spooky-as-fuck threatening entities, they obviously have not done that.
>>
>>7808581
Well, there's so many other scenarios, incliding aliens that are at the same level we are.
>>
>>7808583
>all the evidence points to the theory they are just poking around on the planet for meat

the tinfoil hat evidence that is
>>
Well OP, think about what has happened when humans have come across a group that they considered to be a lesser species.
>>
>>7808591
Tinfoil hat evidence is really all we have. Nobody else gives a fuck.

SETI listening for fellow naive dorky civilizations in the stars beaming radio waves at us, is pretty silly. Fermi Paradox has a lot of explanations and the one with the most evidence is that they're already here and they're kinda boring and self-centered. Like you at the party, nobody remembers if you were there or not.

Since people see UFOs, there is footage of UFOs and claim to have seen or met, or talked to aliens, that's probably a good starting point for any theory about ETs.
>>
>>7808596
Why would we think of them as lesser?
Wouldn't our society have evolved past perpetrating such things before we reached space?
>>
>>7808601
>Since people see UFOs, there is footage of UFOs and claim to have seen or met, or talked to aliens, that's probably a good starting point for any theory about ETs.
all of those have decreased since smatphones with good cameras became ubiquitous
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.