[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /sci/ think of the Multiverse theory?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 1050x526) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 1050x526
What does /sci/ think of the Multiverse theory?
>>
File: Hnk Grn.png (498 KB, 656x814) Image search: [Google]
Hnk Grn.png
498 KB, 656x814
>>7808450
Entirely possible
>>
>>7808450
>Multiverse Hypothesis

FTFY
>>
>>7808450
It's probably wrong, but I like it anyways.
>>
>>7808450
Kind of lazy to me. It just changes the name God to some other name, use this odd ball theory to try and explain things. All the while there is no way to measure, test or see it.
>>
>>7808483
Don't ever fucking reply to my posts again unless you have something to contribute for this thread.
>>
>>7808486
?

Easy there killer.

It is a mess though, ancient alien tier type of stuff.
>>
>>7808486
You asked him what he thought of multiverse theory and he told you. What's wrong with that?
>>
>>7808450
I find it weird that in an alternate universe I'm currently sticking my dick in a cactus.
>>
bullshit.

Originally, people had this misconception that because the universe is expanding infinitely, that it had infinite mass. This would mean that there were copies of earth and shit.

Since we know that's wrong, now people are spouting nonsense about a mult-verse so they make up more stuff that doesn't exist. For example, a clone of yourself with friends and has sex regularly.
>>
>>7808494
>>7808496
>getting memed on this hard
:(
>>
>>7808499
I find it weird I'm not sticking my dick in a cactus in this reality.

If the internet had never been invented...
>>
Is it even falsifiable?
>>
It's hard to really pin the needle on whether it's real or false
Of course I'd love to believe it's real, but with no evidence towards either end, it's hard to
>>
>>7808502
>Originally, people had this misconception that because the universe is expanding infinitely, that it had infinite mass.
I'm sure you think this means something, but it doesn't. The current best theory we have is that the universe has infinite volume and is uniform. This implies that the universe has infinite mass/energy.
>>
thought the quanty GeV of higgs bosson already answered it
>>
>>7808450
The question shouldn't be if it's real or not, the question should be can we interact with or observe it(other universes).
>>
>>7808472
Unless it's not. You can't just say that a theory is possibly true; it's either true or it's not. A theory's validity isn't dependent on us knowing it's true.
>>
>>7808486
Are you upset because he gave you the truth: that we cannot prove it to be true (as far as we know). Start thinking logically and stop using your emotions as your primary reason for certain thoughts.
>>
>>7808450
I'm kind of neutral about it; it hasn't been disproved or proved. However, I do take issue with those who believe it to be true just because scientists said that it's true or probably true. It then turns into something like a religion.
>>
>>7808476
>Multiverse notion
FTFY
>>
>>7808450
It's an interesting concept. It would solve some problems but, like every other theory, would have some more complications.
We can't imagine our universe in an infinite manner, yet someone thinks there are am infinite number of universes..
>>
They definetely exist in mario 64.
>tfw no scuttlebug jamboree
>>
>>7808796
That's what I thought too.
>>
>this thread again
fuck off
come back when you understand how spacetime actually works
>>
>>7809191
Refrain from making garbage posts like this. You have added nothing to the topic and only wasted my time for having to spot your bullshit. I hope in future you will show better integrity in making posts. I won't warn you again.
>>
File: 1453432890227.png (371 KB, 1594x1312) Image search: [Google]
1453432890227.png
371 KB, 1594x1312
>>7809180
>tfw no scuttlebug jamboree

That's an open conjecture
>>
>>7808450

The theory violates the laws of energy.
New universes popping up everything there is more than one possible outcome is a cool theory, but in reality where would all this energy come form to form these new universes? It just doesn't seem possible.
>>
I'm disappointed that I wasn't born into a universe where these threads aren't created every single day on /sci/.
>>
>>7809193
lol kid, some of us have unified QM with GR
I won't warn you again
fuck off m8
>>
>>7808486
Nice meme bro. Can I save it?
>>
>>7809065
I'm kind of neutral about it; it hasn't been disproved or proved. However, I do take issue with those who believe it to be false just because scientists said that it's false or probably false. It then turns into something like a religion.

You see how that works out?

Scientists opinions are kinda divided 50/50. So, it doesn't matter which side you take, unless you know something about it you're fuck ed either way.
>>
>>7809068
>Multiverse someone had a bit of a hunch
FTFY
>>
It helps explain my theory that black holes are connected to big bangs in other universes.
>>
>>7808450
I don't know, man. Feynman was the supporter of many world interpretation. I tend to agree with him cause he's, you know, charismatic.
>>
>>7809362
Agreed, I also tend to agree with attractive people more often.
>>
>>7809361
>My theory
>>
>>7808450
It doesn't make sense to me. If we consider a simple experiment like the Stern Gerlach experiment, the multiverse theory would imply that there exist a universe where all silver atoms end up on the right side, all the time, even though the probability is 50%.
All in all, this means that there are infinitely many universes where the law of physics are not obeyed by the universe itself. That could be fine actually, except that the only reason we hypothesized these universes in the first place was to explain the way our own universe works. I also think this kind of breaks the Copernican principle.
>>
I believe there may be more than one "universe" but not parallel ones
>>
>>7808450
>What does /sci/ think
That asking questions based on a formalism with flawed axioms is pointless and mundane.
>>
>>7809362
>>7809371
and lo and behold: the problem with modern academia
>>
>>7809219
sigh

multiverse =/= many-worlds
>>
>>7809444
It was a joke, you git. The problem with modern academia is that they've all had their funny bone surgically removed and a giant rod implanted between their buttocks
>>
>>7809444
Boy you're a shithead. Learn to read sarcasm.
>>
>>7809463
He speaks like a Christian faggot so it's probably best not to take him as representative of anything.
>>
>>7809490
sarcastic or not, it IS the problem with academia
learn to grasp the point, shithead
>>
>>7809499
Academia isn't a unified body like the scientific industry wants to believe it is. Even if the problem affects 30% of researcher's psyches, it's still only a problem for those 30% that didn't integrate the principles of science well enough to actually exercise them. It's not a problem with academia as a whole. The actual scientists I've spoken to were ground, rational, humble people. It's only unifaggots that are shitfucked by dogmatic thought.
>>
I-i just want to believe...God dammit the thought of a universe where I'm a cowboy is the only thing keeping me from grabbing the noose
>>
>>7809379
well i never saw anyone make the claim, if it's been patented or whatever then fie im mad
>>
>>7810071
There have been numerous ironic attempts to copyright entire universes.
>>
>>7808486
Dankest maymay right here.
>>
>>7810071
ofc somebody has thought about that before you retard
and it's WRONG. Lots of people have clever little ideas that they think nobody has ever thought about and must be true. Only, they don't have any proof, their overall scientific background is lacking and therefore they are not qualified to reach such a conclusion and they are all selfish entitled little kiddies that don't realize 'original' thought is just osmosis of external stimuli i.e you have probably heard the idea or something close to the notion previously and unaware that it entered your subconscious.

So, please, just get the fuck off this board. You are everything wrong with it.
>>
It's a neat idea, but I don't think there's evidence for it.
>>
"From here to the eyes and the ears of the 'Verse,
that's my motto, or it might be if I start having a motto."
– David Krumholtz (as Mr.Universe), "Serenity" (2005)
>>
>>7809382
Nothing about them all landing on one side breaks any physical laws, it's just so highly unlikely we conclude its practically impossible. Just because it won't happen doesn't mean it can't
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.