[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could we one day live over 200 years old? Maybe even over 1000?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 0OS0UpA.gif (47 KB, 306x469) Image search: [Google]
0OS0UpA.gif
47 KB, 306x469
Could we one day live over 200 years old? Maybe even over 1000?
>>
>>7803333
We would have to first cure cancer, as cancer consumes everything eventually, then work on keeping cells young and fresh.
>>
>>7803333
Sure.
>>
Life expectancy increases with 1 - 2 months per year. Reaching 100 is quite feasible these days. So you only need 600 - 1200 years of progress..

The rate if increase is itself expected to increase and when we reach 1 year per year we have reached what is called "actuarial escape velocity". I'll let you do the calculations.
>>
File: aubrey.jpg (50 KB, 422x422) Image search: [Google]
aubrey.jpg
50 KB, 422x422
>>7804628
>when we reach 1 year per year we have reached what is called "actuarial escape velocity".
>mfw
>>
>>7803333
If you are not able to cope with death, chances are you aren't able to cope with life either.
>>
>>7804704
That guy...Rip Van Winkle didn't live a long time just because he had a long beard. Your crazy hairstyle is hurting the cause!
>>
>>7803338
Well we've got the whole telomerase thing down, so extending cell life won't be too terribly hard. You're right about cancer being in the way, but unfortunately I doubt we'll be seeing a "cure" for every cause of cancer anytime soon. So unless you think that there's a way to remove the imperfections in the DNA transcription process, I say we focus less on actually curing cancer and more on creating more efficient and less harmful ways of getting cancer cells out of the body once they develop.
>>
>>7804980
>creating more efficient and less harmful ways of getting cancer cells out of the body once they develop.
What the fuck do you think people are talking about when they talk about "curing" cancer?
>>
>>7804988
I think people are talking about how it's 4 in the afternoon and I'm still hungover and shut up.
Honestly have no idea what I was thinking when I typed that.
>>
Millions now living will never die
>>
Once we figure out how they did it in New Eden, I'm sure of it.
>>
>>7804955
I think he's a funny lad.
>>
File: look.gif (14 KB, 652x379) Image search: [Google]
look.gif
14 KB, 652x379
>>7803333
Even if so it will be class-based. You're not in the club and you will never be in the club. Forget about it and instead look at the image for a while until you see why.
>>
each human cell has a limited number of division, therefore, NO
>>
>>7805014
There will still be accidents, fatal unless you upload. I recommend "Altered Carbon" to see one such scenario. Rather good but drenched in blood.

>>7805352
That logic belongs right up with "if God had meant for us to think he would have given us a brain".
>>
>>7806734
so lets stop biological aging first and then improve our skeleton and muscles so theyll be able to withstand accidents
>>
>>7803333
>tfw I'm one pf the Howard families
>tfw I've lived almost 150 years, showing no chance of deteriorating any time soon
>tfw still appear to be in my mid twenties
>tfw laughing at lifelets
feels good
>>
>>7805252
I see buttcheeks
>>
Related to this, are there any weight to the theories of Aubrey de Grey? The ones about life expectancy growing exponentially?
>>
>>7807704
I'd say some of his work has some good insights. Like changing some your lifestyle at a young age will help (eating better, exercises etc.) One of the more interesting theories that I want to do with my offspring, Is provide them with the perfect balance for what a body needs to function properly (of course it won't be perfect) but if we tackle some of the beggining outliers that cause cancers and "old age" we could actually see some people who could live past 150. However this doesn't account for the random mutations that could occur. I admire aburey for attempting to tackle an almost unrealistic problem that can be solved in our lifetime.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.